1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

i'm excited!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by falnfenix, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Offline

Turbo4afe Guest

Message Count:
    its not title a "my cavalier will kick you rolla's ass" yet thats why she is trying to prove to us..and turb04age it would be easier to modify that cavalier since she said it would be...therefore it is true..get it? haha ::sarcasm::
    and i am still waiting for the problems of the corolla...you are avoiding the question i see...and you will keep avoiding it...
  2. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    the logic is simply overwhelming
  3. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    well considering that our first corolla died every other week, that's not really saying much for the corollas, is it? not that it matters...because this is a predominantly corolla forum, and they're worshipped here. they could be the biggest steaming piles of shit in the world, but they would always be considered better than the J.

frankly, i don't care that it's a piece of shit. i recognise that fact...and i want to make it better. i know where its weaknesses are, and i know how to fix them. why do it? again, BECAUSE I WANT TO. you can criticize, you can sit there and call me whatever you freaking want - that goes for ALL of you, including Cpat - and i wouldn't care. i'm not in it for what the car can/can't do right now...i'm in it because i will enjoy the trip.

consider this one of the last times i'm posting about this around here till i have some timeslips...you people can't handle another car of the same class being posted on this forum.
  4. Offline

ShalerPunk Guest

Message Count:
    my friend's 91 Cavalier went through headgaskets faster than my CRX went through oil changes...:D

The 3.1V6 is an ANCIENT motor... but on the bright side, when you blow it up, there are fifty million of them laying around in junkyards.

Good luck...but I wouldn't expect anyone on here to be very thrilled that you bought a Cavalier that's eligible for classic plates in a year... I highly recommend not boosting the engine... it'll blow itself up soon enough without the boost.

my advice? give it a nice exhaust, good suspension, and some sticky tires. it'll be moderately quick, you won't have a ton of cash into it, and if you sold it you could probably get all of your money back.
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    thanks for being reasonable.

there's another reason why i chose this car: i like underdogs. if i didn't, would i be driving the Corolla? no...i'd have opted for a Spec-V or something like that. i like the potential this car has.

then again...people don't like domestics around here...so i guess anything i say is useless to the masses.
  6. Offline

yourownreality Guest

Message Count:
    Dont worry about all the haters. My brother had a 94 z24 with the 3.1 and it had more power than any corolla on this board. With a few mods that 3.1 can put down plenty of power.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    was it auto or stick? the autos are slooooooooooooooooow...my buddy mike(previous owner of my shitbox)'s wife had the same car, same year, same trim...but it was an auto. her response time was worse in the auto than in the stick, and her 0-60 sucked ass...not to mention the auto was slow in the quarter.

guh...i need to get an MSD.

by the way - thanks for agreeing with me.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    lets hear some numbers and facts.... less opinions (some even uninformed)

there has to be a reason you are one of only 7 people or so that swear this car will decimate all..... and if it doesnt your excuse is that youll have fun turning it into a pizza delivery car?!
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    ...where did i say it would decimate all? all i said was it would whup up on some 4bangers. not all, some. in truth, right now it would do so...there's a shitty Accent down the street from me that's misfiring like a mofo, and i know it could beat that.

it's not the best car in the world. neither is yours, nor is anyone else's around here. get that through your thick skull already, will you? at least i can admit that.

want facts about the car? hit up j-body.org for those...i'm still learning the car myself, and have better things to do with my time than appease you. like working, for instance. since i do that sort of thing.

also - do yourself a favor and stop trying to say that i'm making claims i haven't made.
  10. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    Laura has been having bad luck with her Corolla and getting work done on it, that it really puts her in a bad mood to think about it. She got fucked over when getting her suspension (APEX sent the wrong springs), she ended up with Intrax instead. When we went to install her Intrax springs, we discovered the shop had lost some pieces of her suspension when they put it back together. There's a bad steering wheel vibration that we still having located (tires balanced, rims in good condition, bearnig seem fine), her new red Celica seats got painted yellow by overspray while they were being stored, her GT-S engine and 6-speed transmission and the person storing them for her dissapeared. There are other problems she had, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head this early in the day.
  11. Offline

Turbo4afe Guest

Message Count:
    well thanks vamp for telling me the problems that she had with the corolla
    but none of them are corolla related...they are due to modifications that went wrong..a corolla problem would be the engine leaking oil and not being able to identify where it is coming from..thats a problem...not having some seats oversprayed...
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Well, she has had actual issues with the car itself too. Trust me, I've heard her go on about them at numerous occasions. Lol. Oddly enough, I can't think of anything in specific, aside from the recent engine knocking. She's not too happy that she has to use the more expensive, higher grade gas to keep it from doing that. I even tuned up the car and cleaned out the MAF sensor and intake system, and it still doesn't sound right.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    ever since i got the damned thing there's been problems with it...i think it's just the aura of the car. the last thing i'm doing to that car is a repaint in a year or two...then i'm done...and i'll just drive it.

the cav...well, i don't care about the exterior...and it's an experiment of sorts.

not that it matters to you, since you're simply goading me on to try and make me slip up.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I think she's having an issue were the car itself just seems to attract random problems and bad luck, much like my car seems to attract other cars, idiot drivers, and deer. I'm just a lot more stubborn (*insert comment by Laura here*) and am sticking with my car even with all it's bad luck (I'm hoping a different color may help alleviate that). Laura on the other hand, has always talked about Cavalier's since we've been dating, so this is a big opportunity for her to start on something fresh instead of dumping money into a project that seems to run into problems and dead ends.
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    indeed. it helps that Mike knows a bit about the car, and i know a ton of others who do as well...and are willing to help out.

then again, it's wierd, the cav community has always seemed more welcoming to "outsiders" than the corolla community...go figure. maybe it's because they figure that the more diverse their community is, the more likely it is that people on both sides of the argument about which car is "mo bettah" will learn from each other.

as i've said...this will be my only post about my heap of scrap metal till i can actually prove her worth. i'd rather not waste my time.
  16. Offline

Turbo4afe Guest

Message Count:
    i dont think in any of my posts i said that my car is better than yours or anything to that effect..
    anywayz i am think i am done with this thread, and thank you vamp for clarifying the so what problems of the car.
  17. Offline

mncrolln Guest

Message Count:
    So can I kiss that beautiful bubble butt of yours since I don't like your Caviler? lol
  18. Offline

byecop01 Guest

Message Count:
    Why are we worried about a domestic that has a little less than twice the displacment that our beloved corolla does. Of coarse it makes more power, of coarse its faster, its should be with twice the engine. If its not then you have problems, regaurdless of the drivetrain. We dont have a supperiority issue but this is a corolla forum and will remain one regaurdless of the personal problems you have with your specific car.
  19. Offline

mncrolln Guest

Message Count:
    I don't really care either way, I am just glad that she is excited. I don't like Cav's at all but that is just based on personal experience with them. I don't care if she just got a Barbie Big Wheel and she wants to trick it out, all that matters is that she is psyched about it! That is why we all do what we do, to have fun and get some more enjoyment out of the things we have and life in general. There is a guy in Colorado who has a 11 sec 91 Geo Metro. It is ugly as hell and gets almost no props but he just drives it around and has a blast working on it. As far as I am concerned, having a hot girl being excited about something that not many people like is better than having her frustrated and depressed over something people give props to. You go girl! Be excited, you deserve it after all the crap you have been through!
  20. Offline

Message Count:
  21. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Just one question, well, actually a bunch of questions....you came on here...a COROLLA FORUM...expecting us to do exactly WHAT over your new pile of problems??? Should we be overjoyed??? I'm confused.

Your first post on here was asking for trouble....so why did you even bring it up??? Why didn't you go to a cavalier forum (do they even bother having those???) I mean, I'm getting a bike soon, but I don't come on here talking bout how my future Gixxer is gonna blow the doors off my Corolla.

Oh, and now that you have another car...are you leaving???
  22. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    well this is how i see it, i figure a lot of us are CAR nuts, not corolla only nuts. yeah i hate caveliers, i dont like them at all, but whatever. i'll work on any car, even if i hate it, because you learn that much more, and getthat much more experience working on them. she didn't come on here saying "look all your bastards my super fast cavelier is going kick every corolla's ass," she was excited about her new car that she plans to tune, just like all of you tune your corollas, just like how i used to.

i dont understand really, i'm reluctant to post picutres of my car when its done now, i figured people on here would be a little more compassionate i guess you could say. i dont like caveliers at all, but she's our friend, and when your friend does something to you continuously hate on them?? :confused:
  23. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    That's not the point...instead of discussing her plans, she came on here defensive. She came on here from the FIRST post saying how she knows we're all gonna hate it, and when a few of us posted all of the problems WE have had with the same car, she said that if we don't like it, that we should kiss her ass.

Now, I don't know what kind of friendships you have, but if I have a friend, who's about to dump money into a firey death trap...I kinda like to turn them away from it before they regret it.
  24. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    point taken, now i dont know what to say.
  25. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    This thread is weird. Im at a loss as to what to say here....

EDIT: Saying that the corolla community is less giving when people come in with different cars....I dont see that at all. Laura, youve been on this board a while, and because its a different make has nothing to do with it. Of course people will step up and talk when someone from the probe board comes on the board solely to start shit, or the WRX board, or the domestic boards.

You also have to realize that the average age on this board is like 17, which means that they have limited experience/time to drive different makes and models....the corolla is all that they can compare to. So their thoughts on domestics could be jaded. Im not a big fan of domestics because of the past history that Ive had with em.

Three cavaliers: One caught on fire, and all three had to have their head gaskets replaced, which is very costly. All three had electrical problems as well. Ive also drive many domestics as rentals, and they mostly all seems cheapy.

The main point is that we dont really understand why the investment into a early 90s car that has low ratings and high miles. Some comments/arguments were uncalled for on all sides though. Posting it up on a message board is going to bring those that feel against it, and those that dont. Its inevitable...if people dont want to hear it, dont post it!

And yes, this thread is still weird.
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    i dont care about the car so much..... my car is an old POS too, it just so happens that half of the automotive world drools over it (wierd to me too, i know)

i just wanted to talk some shop..... and i couldnt even get that, we get instant defense mode...... makes me wonder why she is even around cars if all she can do is repeat what she hears about them
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    i think my whole reaction to the crowd's whole reaction to the car has to do with a lot of shit going on personally. sorry if people think i'm a prissy little bitch, or an idiot.

Eric - it's an investment i chose to make...because i wanted to learn another car. i know it's a boring, bland car to most...and many people have had their share of problems with them. however, that's a risk i'm willingly taking.

CPat - calling the car a high risk is fair. calling it a fiery death trap isn't fair. then again, i could call Corollas fiery death traps as well...a good friend of mine bought a 99 in good faith that it's a corolla, which run forever...she bought it from a dealer, assuming it would be in great shape. a month later, it was sitting on the side of the highway in Massachusetts in flames. to this day, they still don't know what the issue was...and Toyota fucked her over, saying it was some aftermarket part that had been put in the motor(on a completely stock vehicle). sure it happens less with corollas - but it still happens.

turbo4age - i'm not repeating what i've heard...i've been on autopilot for the past month or so. this was the first thing that made me happy in awhile - and you suddenly saying that i had something to prove(or FELT i did) didn't help keep the mood up, yaknow? i did the best thing i could think of...and stopped posting for a few days. now what specifically did you want to talk about?

Chris - the motor only dynoed at 100 hp because he was having an exhaust issue that was choking the motor a bit, as well as a number of other small issues. fortunately he's fixed them since, and she dynos at 137 currently. by the way, thanks.
  28. Offline

Chris Corolla S Member

Message Count:
    For $500, who cares what it is. Sounds like it's in good enough shape to re-sell for a bit more if you don't like it. 'till then it sounds like a good car to bomb around in. It does seem wierd that a car rated at 140 HP only dynos at 100 HP. And the fact that the motor has already been replaced is not encouraging, but hell, $500! Run her! Congrats on the purchase and sorry you have had so much trouble with modding your Corolla.
  29. Offline

byecop01 Guest

Message Count:
    i call bs on that hp figure. What kind of exaust issue could "choke off" a NA caviler? I can think of none.
  30. Offline

byecop01 Guest

Message Count:
    it matters what kind of dyno you were on