1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

How well does the Sharpie work on changing light colors?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Bigbear588, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Offline

Bigbear588 Guest

Message Count:
    How well does the Sharpie work on changing light colors?

I want to color/paint my bulbs blue, will that work? Does it block a lot of the light?
  2. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    I did it on my last car... worked like a champ and barely blocked the light. The red wont work as well (kinda pinkish), but if your looking into a color like blue it works great. I had mine colored for about 8 months... before I sold it.
  3. Offline

Bigbear588 Guest

Message Count:
    Cool, thanks man.
  4. Offline

EvilLeaf19 Guest

Message Count:
    I used a blue sharpie to color my interior lights and it came out horrible. Instead of blue, they came out red/pink.

Does anyone know where I buy colored lights for the corolla?????
  5. Offline

limp_noodle Guest

Message Count:
    not to bag or hate but that sharpie's idea is pretty ghetto...it's something that should be on www.ricecop.com or something... i admit i was tempted to do it...but didnt..i did try to use that blue paint tint and tried to brush it on...i mean it did come out blue but the light was too dim...in my opinion i think it should be done the real way with LED's.
  6. Offline

pkpss Guest

Message Count:
    Yea, I did both and it still looks pretty ghetto. Try looking for bulb covers at Walmart. They've been talked about here and seem to work as well as the stock OEM green covers, but I have yet to find them.
  7. Offline

limp_noodle Guest

Message Count:
    That was jon with the corolla that posted previously.

I've got the sentra. I didn't paint my bulbs with a sharpie, but I did color in the overlays for my HVAC controlls. I did them red to match my gauge cluster. My entire dash now matches. I don't know how nice it would look if you did it blue, but my suggestion is that you use mulitple coats.
  8. Offline

pkpss Guest

Message Count:
    I use a Sharpie and did it a lot. Still was ugly. Then I went to Joanne's Crafts and bought some glass paint and it turned out better but still was pretty ghetto.
  9. Offline

FIGG Guest

Message Count:
    I used the Sharpie method..It sux..Just do a search on ebay or sumthin and u should b able to get blue bulbs..
  10. Offline

NightHawk Guest

Message Count:
    Question : Don't the bulbs turn into "White" bulbs after the green cover is taken off?. Now if we wanted our dashes to match, wouldn't the white match better with our white instrument panel?
  11. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    It's not exactly white. It's a soft white, kinda yellowish. Actually, at night, it appears more orangey than yellowish. So no, it's not good enough to just leave them as they are.
  12. Offline

daPyr0x Guest

Message Count:
    I just went last night and sharpie'd my lights....it worked, but not all that well. I did, however, have 40 (yes, 40...don't ask :p) superbright 3mm LEDs that I thought of using...so I threw 4 of them in there instead of the lights and they worked much better....but because I don't have any sort of sandpaper or anything to diffuse them with, I'm going to have to go back in there and put in more (I was originally going to put in 8, but I blew 4 of em in my stupidity)

Right now it looks kinda dim, but pretty close to how bright the stock is (just...in blue);but I want brighter ;-). Note to anyone doing this; the trick is to point the lights *away* from the face; if you point them out then you'll end up with a blotchy, ununiformed glow....where it'll be bright where the lights are, and dim where they're not; but pointing away means they'll get a much more even light..
  13. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    I thought he was talking about signal bulbs... yeah, the sharpie didnt work too well with the dash lights. You have to take the coating off the origional ones first. I think vamp did a DIY using model paint... turned out pretty good.
  14. Offline

daPyr0x Guest

Message Count:
    the cover is just a little 'condom' like slip-on cover...it's easy to take off.
  15. Offline

imported_rollaracer4 Guest

Message Count:
    i used the sharpe also! i used red and it made my lights look peach. but then i got some paint ,for my calipers, and with some of the left over paint i ainted the lights and they look awesome! i recomend the paint
  16. Offline

daPyr0x Guest

Message Count:
    my grandfather apparantly had to do a lot of similar things at his old job; and he would use nailpolish.

Apparantly the sharpie trick, while it works, doesn't last terribly long; but a dip in some nailpolish does and dries hard as rock

I just hope any of you have girlfriends willing to go buy you nailpolish :p