1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Hotchkis Swaybar Settings

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by remnant, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Offline

remnant Guest

Message Count:
    Hotchkis Swaybar Settings

Hey everyone,

I installed my Hotchkis swaybars about a month ago and I set the front to the hard setting. I was wondering what the rest of you guys have done and / or if you can tell me what to expect when I change the setting to soft.

With the hard setting, I feel like the steering is a little too loose. I wouldn't say that there's oversteer, but steering is definitely more responsive. To be honest, I was sort of expecting a little more understeer as that is what the front stablizer bar is supposed to produce.

At any rate, let me know what setting you're on and how it's working. if you've switched between settings I definitely want to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Offline

DIABOLIC HIPPO Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Hotchkis Swaybar Settings

If you think the steering is to loose with the swaybar set on the hard setting, dont even try putting it on the soft. I have mines set on hard, and the konis' set on a medium setting. it works out fine. I have the Tein S Tech, w/konis, trd strutbar, hotchkis f/r swaybars and 17" xrs wheels on the stock firestones.
  3. Offline

GT-R Guest

Message Count:
    I thought we wanted to get rid of the understeer on our cars? Isn't stiffening the back gonna help more?
  4. Offline

remnant Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the replies

DIABOLIC HIPPO,

So i take it you've tried the soft setting? It's not that I'm necessarily unhappy with the performance, it's just that I drove around with the stock front swaybar / Hotchkis rear swaybar for a week and then when I replaced the front with the Hotchkis I felt more oversteer in the corners. I thought that maybe I should have set it to soft.

Also, when I removed the front and compared it with the Hotchkis replacement, I was surprised to see that hte OEM bar was heavier and about the same circumference. This was not the case in the rear though. I know there's more to the performance of a bar than weight, but I did find it odd.

GT-R,

The rear swaybar is supposed to reduce understeer, the front swaybar is supposed to reduce oversteer. Given that fact, and my statements above about driving around with the stock front bar and the new rear bar, I was surprised at the results.

I haven't lowered the ride yet, so I'm hoping that will be the difference. Right now I've just got this swaybar kit, Kazera KZ-U 16" wheels with Kumho Ecsta KH-11's. I've thought about getting a strut tower brace, but it's a waste of money, even if it is only $10...
  5. Offline

CorollaAltis New Member

Message Count: