1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

heater problems

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by MovieSTAR, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    heater problems

takes forever to heat up and its not very warm, will replacing the thermostat help? its only a 10 dollar part, and i cant afford a heater core, but i want to know if it will help at all
  2. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    replacing the thermostat is a bit more than a 10 dollar part... you need coolant and sillycone... and I'm sure GE charges an arm and a leg for that... and FAA clearance to put that thing back in the sky
  3. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    i removed the engines for the winter, too much of an icing problem
  4. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    oh.. well you still need coolant and sillycone... other wise its not too hard... but that is more than likely the culprit
  5. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    do i really have to flush the system? i just did a month ago
  6. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    You pretty much have to. The second you pull the old thermostat out, all you coolant will pour out.
  7. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    but i can just add more right? its a pain in the fucking ass to flush it and its too damn cold outside for me to really care
  8. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    hey so i just wanted to ask other ppl this.

I feel like my corolla is very poorly insulated. My car gets warm and stays warm, however the moment i turn the heater off, you start feeling the cold again almost right away. My guy has a town car which he uses for work and he says his seat stays in the car with him for nearly a 1/2 hour after he shuts the engine off.

Bad Insulation would make sense right? I cant recall how it was when the car was new.

and noooo, i dont have any windows open:p
  9. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    You might be able to, but you'll have to purge the system of air so it's pretty much a flush already.
    I don't think it's insulation. It's the seals on the doors and windows.
  10. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    You don't have to re-flush the whole works, if you did it recently, more of a precaution than anything else. Usually, you want to time them so you do it at the same time, but stuff happens.

If you jack up the front end a bit, might only have one or two quarts spill out, instead a whole gallon of coolant. But you will lose some coolant in the process - make sure to refill and check for some time afterwards. Will take a little while to purge that much air out of the system.

As for heat retention - the car is pretty thinly insulated - this is not a luxury car, just not enough mass, inside the car, to act as a heat reservoir. Both the Matrix and Corolla do the same thing, as soon as you cut the heat off the car will lose interior heat fairly quickly.
  11. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    well today my heater worked fucking fantastic but thats because its like 10 outside. as far as purging the system of air....do i just run the car with the radiator hose off until shit comes out and then plug it back in...refill/check for leaks?
  12. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    You should pick up one of these.

[IMG]

They are like 30.00 and bleed the whole system out without making a mess. We use them at work all the time and it pays for its self. Just a nice thing to have around. You can find them at parts store.
  13. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    30 bucks? im in college and dont have a job, thats a fortune for me to spend! haha ill take a look though.

edit: totally forgot why i was going to post....does anyone have, on the 8th gen, side window defrosters on the dash board? the little vents on the side of the dash aimed at the window? Mine don't have those, and its a pain in the ass, and is there something i can do to make my foot vents work again? the haynes manual doesnt cover that...or does my VE not come equipped with foot vents =[
  14. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Umm i know for sure that none of the corollas have the side window vents. it was in an atricle i read about the 8th gen that it lacks. Kinda sucks bc you have to point the big vent to the window and freeze your fingers off. I was thinkin of fabricating one where that little bit of wasted space is above the side vents :) But I got lazy lol
  15. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    yeah i didnt think they did...but in the haynes manual there is a diagram for how to disassemble the side window defroster...but not how to fix your foot vents.