1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Front Speakers

Discussion in 'Interior' started by swtaylor, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Offline

swtaylor Guest

Message Count:
    Front Speakers

Thanks for the help with the front panels. Now that I have those off, is there any trick to removing the front speakers besides drilling out the rivits? Can't believe Toyota doesn't anticipate people wanting to replace their standard speakers.

Thanks
  2. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    You pretty much have to drill them out. Be careful not to let the bit come in contact with the sheet metel of the door. I drilled the heads off, removed the speaker, and punched the rivets out. I made an adapter for a 6.5 inch speaker out of 3/4 inch MDF, primed and painted with mold resistant paint. I mounted the adapter to the door using nylon bolts and nuts, with a generous helping of silicon. It worked out pretty well.
  3. Offline

simplitic Guest

Message Count:
    Rip them out thats what I did :)

I had already bought new speakers and to install I just ripped the cone out then hit out the back plastic pieces. then made a hole 2 run speaker wire and you have a mounting for your new speakers.