1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Expen$ive Strut Lesson

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by Mike4831, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    i drove a prelude with koni yellows and they were amazing. smoothest ride. my friends civic hb has tokicko hp's and they are very good.
  2. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    Expen$ive Strut Lesson

Last month I put on some TRD 1-1/2" lowering springs. Several forums and several friends suggested that I should change the struts, since stock struts are compressed with the new springs and won't last as long. (Here comes the expensive lesson)....After looking around for a few weeks, I decided on a set of DropZone struts from eBay, for a 2003-04 Corolla for $375.00 shipped. Today I took them to my regular tire/suspension shop. When they started, they found that the piston on the DZ's were 2" longer than the stock strut. After assembly in the spring, there was an inch of play. The mechanic told me if I were to hit a bump where the wheel left the ground, the spring would come out of the retainer. Just to make sure, they contacted the local distributor for Tokico, Koni & KYB. No products listed for 2004 Corolla! Next they called the local Toyota dealer....appears there are about 5 variations of struts for the 2004. Dealer also stated that TRD parts are tested and work with the stock struts (which are KYB nitrogen struts on my car). After contacting the DZ seller on eBay, he admitted they were for 92-01 Corolla's and he "assumed" they aslo fit 03-04's. So, I'm out $450 for struts and 1 hr labor for a non usable product. Just a heads up for you all..... According to the dealer, there is only one strut available right now for the 03-04....KYB. (There are pure adjustable racing shocks available, but they aren't recommended for street use) If anyone has proof to the contrary, please post....I'd like to know for my own satisfaction.
  3. Offline

1.8greyghost Guest

Message Count:
    The KYB's are going to be fine, just make sure that your REALLY want a race car style suspension, because you WILL feel EVERY BUMP in the road. I had KYB's on my Supra and it was a Rough ride, but It was worth it in the curves, WAY less body roll and you had to want to loose traction to slide. But yeah man I feel you there, That's why I try to research methodically about a part before I order it.

Cody
  4. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    I thought I did my research too, just ran into a dealer on eBay who didnt know what he was talking about. I cant complain about my handling. With the lowering springs, 17 in rims, strut bar and the Fuzion tires, it corners pretty damn well....
  5. Offline

1.8greyghost Guest

Message Count:
    LOL, that's why I love FWD, get it lowered and with front strut bar and some super sticky rubber and it will hang like hell.
  6. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    there are Koni Yellow Struts available for the 03+ models, some members on 2003corolla.org have them installed.

I opted for the TRD Sportivo Altis springs/and struts for my 03. Those are available through TRD Japan and have to be special ordered. So if you're in a hurry don't bother, they take 8-12 weeks to arrive.

Here's a link to the Koni struts

link
  7. Offline

1.8greyghost Guest

Message Count:
    Hey how much better is the handleing with the Koni's? I have always heard there ugly ass yellow but there worth it.
  8. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    if i were you, i'd demand a refund for those struts since the dealer really didn't know. he essentially mislead you(albeit unintentionally).
  9. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    I tried getting a refund. No dice. He claims there is no way the wheel could leave the ground, unless I jumped the car off a bridge, or was a movie stuntman (yeah, right). I guess it's just one of those "life's lessons". Needless to say, he didn't get positive feedback on eBay.... BTW...are you feeling better?
  10. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    it doesn't matter........the item was described incorrectly, i'd be e-mailing e-bay to file a complaint. You can't list something, and then be selling something else.
  11. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks! I'll give that a try. (I've heard eBay doesn't act on most complaints, though)
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    bitch, moan, and complain till they're sick of you :)

and yeah, today i am feeling somewhat better after my horrid night...thanks.
  13. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    LOL....okay, I'm off to take bitch lessons!! :p
  14. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Just resell them, and you wont be out that money.
  15. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    I was gonna suggest that........But Dropzone products aren't exactly hot items.
  16. Offline

matadorCE Guest

Message Count:
    wow...that is just downright thievery....the struts are for a different damn car...it would be the same if this "seller" gave you struts for a Civic.
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    agreed...i'd take it up with Ebay.

but then again, i'm a bitch that's an effective thorn up anyone's ass who ends up irking me.
  18. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    Laura, you crack me up. I'd bet you are, deep down, a really nice lady! ;)
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    i am when i have no reason to be angry. it's the annoying people that bring out the bitch in me.

and i think corollarider19 can attest to both sides of me.

but thanks :)
  20. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    I hear that! I'm a very nice guy, until someone pisses me off! (Which fortunately, I have a very long fuse)
  21. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    yes i can attest to that.. ive been on both sides of things and it can be pretty or it can be nasty. but for the most part pretty!
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

fankoo Matt :)
  23. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    no problemo kiddo
  24. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    AHA!! I knew it! She's a softy at heart! ;)
  25. Offline

Message Count:
  26. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    thread hijack?

ive got konis on my gts and they handle like a dream, i think im a slight undersprung though so i still gets some body roll.... but the shocks and struts dampen incredibly for a street setup
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    lol...he partially hijacked his own thread :p
  28. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
    man, I wish you'd asked about the struts here before buying them. I didnt even know dropzone made struts, only crappy springs. hopefully you can resell them and get something back
  29. Offline

capntoo New Member

Message Count:
    I contacted DZ directly and they claim they are the right struts. They are the only company making struts for the 03-04 Corolla. I'm just leary about putting them on since there 1" of play between the spring and the spring seat on the strut after they are assembled. I won't resell them because I don't want to stick someone else with the same prob. I'll check all the Corolla forums until I find someone else who has them and see what their opinion/problem/success was.....