1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Dumb Parts People

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dr Tweak, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Dumb Parts People

I call this salvage yard today looking for rear disk brake parts to do a rear disk conversion.

"Hi, do you have any mid 90s Celicas with rear disk brakes, it's the GTS trim level."

"What year?"

"Anything mid 90s. Go with a '95."

"Well what year is yours?"

"What year is my what?"

"What year is your Celica?"

"I don't have a Celica. I need the rear hub assemblies from a mid 90's Celica."

"I need to know what year your Celica is."

"I don't have a... okay fine, I have a '95 Celica."

"Okay..."

:rolleyes:
  2. Offline

dragonhuntur Sunny So.Cal

Message Count:
    lmao :D you should make a recording of it next time :D
  3. Offline

kwong2001 New Member

Message Count:
    lol, similiar thing happened to me a toyota dealership. I went to the parts department to find out the main differences between the XRS and the base model.

The guy didn't get the concept of doing a conversion and couldn't tell me the difference. If i remember, I told him I had an 03, but wanted to know what the XRS suspension parts numbers were, instead, he kept giving me the part numbers for my 03. Then he all tried to act like he knew shit and told me just to trade in my car and get the XRS. He couldn't understand the fact I was just interested in the suspension. I ended up walking out frustrated, thinking the guy is a total idiot.
  4. Offline

Prodigy3006 Rubber Man

Message Count:
    haha! i've had the same thing happen when i was looking for seats.
  5. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    When I tried to get a Celica ECU from the junkyard, they wouldn't sell it to me unless I had a Celica and could tell him the # off my ECU. I dunno why they do that.
  6. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    they probably do that to "make sure" u get the right part and they dont mess up, not knowing how common it is to take parts from a different car and adapting them to others
  7. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I bet you anythin they will still give u the wrong parts man lol people at dealerships and like autoparts places don't know SQUAT and I mean SQUAT about cars man..... I went to Napa and they gave me pads for a supra instead of my corolla dood I mean how stupid can they get.
  8. Offline

wukong Banned

Message Count:
    well they ask you what your car is because they run off a data base. Just like with i was looking up how much a stock turbo would cost for a 300zx. I don't have a 300zx but i just wanted to know the price so i told them i did.
  9. Offline

xnevergiveinx New Member

Message Count:
    oh man, that reminds me of when i needed my back driver's side window replaced (car broken into) i called a salvage yard and they were like, ok, we'll get it out, give us a call back in 20 mins...i found that kinda wierd, but i did anyways, the guy was like, what window? and i'm like, the one for the 97 corolla, he says, oh yeah, we broke it when we took it out.
  10. Offline

wukong Banned

Message Count:
    :lol
  11. Offline

LowRolla Will work for turbo

Message Count:
    Obviously you prefer only dealing with truly professional idiots. well done lol
  12. Offline

ChuckD New Member

Message Count:

You guys must be dealing with the WRONG parts guys. Just to let you know not all parts guys know "SQUAT" about cars. I happen to be certified by Toyota and I have to say I know my fair-share about cars just on my own. Next time when you go to a dealer for parts, look to see If the have won the Presidents Award. If so, the people in the parts dept. one if not all should be Toyota certified and should know what there doing....
  13. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Take it easy Chuck, anyone who says that ALL parts people are idiots are idiots.

The store I deal with on a regulary basis is very good. :)
  14. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    LOL, yea I got that from NAPA Auto Parts when I went to get Amber bulbs for my turns (got clear corners back there) and the part number is 3407 (they fit in the sockets) and the guy asked what car was these for so I told him and he said that they will not fit your car, and if I put them in my car will catch fire. We argued a little after that and he refused to sell me the bulbs, had to drive to another parts store to pick them up
  15. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i work at a body shop and this actually happens quite often...
  16. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    say ur gettin em for a friend, adn they asked for the size specifically, usually works