1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DRL DIY with a switch non e-brake (link is up)

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by moonshadow, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    You are right about not messing anything up but about the warranty, it will be an issue because you tapped into the wiring harness and you are NOT supposed to
  2. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    Do you guys think they would check that part of the car often.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    well, i dont know how long you have had the car but the people who bought the car during the first few months of its release and live in cold weather know that there was a issue with the headlights comming on in the extreme cold weather. this problem is fixed at no charge under warranty if you take it to the dealer. i did with my car and they had fixed it. if your car was one for the early models, take it in to the dealer to get that fixed. other than that, they wont really check that part unless something goes wrong with it
  4. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    if you run higher wattage bulbs with out using the relay harness you will burn that whole DRL relay out. then they will be checking under there for sure when they fix it. If they see cut wires then you will be looking at spending about $500+ tpo fix the problem with the lights since they wont cover it. Thats why i still prefer the relay method of dissabling the drl's.
  5. Offline

minja714 Guest

Message Count:

hey hey seems like a good idea.. being the dealer is an ass with wires and all... but hjey wont he see that we installed a a switch ort whatever. so we remove it or what do you mean? can you have pics? cause this would really help alot. I am planning to do wiring like this as well as long as it can fool warrenty. and cheat the viod system
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    hey, its actually really simple. the switch takes both ends of the cut wire and uses them, and has a ground to it so when u go to the dealer, they will be fooled. with my way, the other wire is just hanging. did anyone find out what exactly that half of the wire does other than making the lights come on. i know it wont go to a DRL switch cuz they have diplaced its fuse to 3 or 4 seprate fuses so pulling one out wont help...
  7. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    yea, the only thing is that i cant get to the wire going into the drl box. Do you guys think we can open the gauge cluster and cut the wires that way.
  8. Offline

Raven_nh Guest

Message Count:
    diy light mod simplified?

Okay im new here dont know too much about the electrical system but i just ran out to the car disconnected the red/black wire that plugs into e-brake plug ( brown connectors)
    I then put a 6 inch piece of wire ( solid strand) and touched it to ground. no more lights. this seems much simplier than cutting wires in relay area. Only thing i noticed is the brake light on dash stays on. This way everyone can disable and keep there factory harness intacted. You could also add rocker switch into shifter coverplate. ( note this is for MANUALS)

Mike
    like stated below only turn off if engine is restated, if unlpugged they snap back on.
  9. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    You are talking about the original method of removing the DRL's. But ppl were bothered by the Ebrake light. if you tkae a look in the DIY section above you can see so far 2 methods of removing the DRL's. One with the ebrake, the other with a relay system. I still prefer the relay system becvaiuse it doesnt change any of the stock wiring, and can be reversed with NO signs of it being tampered with.
  10. Offline

Raven_nh Guest

Message Count:
    Oh good.

Okay, hmm now you gotta figure a way with the relays for the seatbelt lights..

Mike
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Re: Oh good.

??????????????????????

relay for the seatbelt lights

i think the one that stinky is talking bout it the one that him and JAE sell. they pulg into your existing lighting harness