1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Dont buy XBOX 360!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by e_andree, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Dont buy XBOX 360!

Unless you have money to buy the premium package AND have an HDTV setup

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,175860,00.html

NEW YORK — The buzz started six months ago.

There's Bill Gates on the cover of Time magazine in May, with a glowing green-and-white machine. "Inside Bill's New Xbox" it screamed.

Since then, the Xbox 360 — a sequel to Microsoft's Xbox video-game unit — has been the subject of breathless profiles, splashy television ads and Internet gossip.

The first shipments, due Tuesday, are already sold out. Analysts are calling it this year's hot holiday gift.

Don't believe the hype — and don't buy the Xbox 360.

Oh, it's an amazing console, don't get us wrong. Plugged into a high-definition television set with a booming sound system, it's amazing, a wonderland of sights and music.

But that's the part of the problem. To get the full Xbox 360 experience, you need to spend hundreds — perhaps thousands — of dollars. All that for a machine that won't play the hot games this season, like "Star Wars: Battlefront II" and "50 Cent: Bulletproof."

Save your cash, and skip the frenzy. Here are five reasons you should say "game over" to the Xbox 360:

Price — The Xbox 360 comes in two versions: the hard drive-less "core" system for $299 and the premium package for $399. But those who buy the lower-cost version are in for a surprise — they won't be able to play any of the Xbox games they already own.

"A lot of parents who go out and buy the $300 system, because they can't afford the $400 system, will have kids who aren't going to able to play 'Halo' or 'Halo 2' because backwards compatibility is going to be on the hard drive," says Brian D. Crecente, editor of kotaku.com, a gaming news blog.

Lack of games — Microsoft has announced there will be 200 backwards-compatible games (including "Forza Motorsport" and "Halo 2"), but only 19 launch titles for the 360. Only a handful are exclusives.

And popular new games, like "50 Cent: Bulletproof" and "The Warriors," won't play on the 360 at all.

Douglass Perry, editor in chief of the Xbox channel on IGN, says, "If you can wait, the second wave of games [due next year] are going to give developers the chance to really show us next-generation gaming in the truest sense."

No competition — Sure, you could rush out and drop hundreds on the 360, but we have no idea what the next-gen PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Revolution are going to be capable of doing. Both of those systems are due next year, and will surely spark a mini-price war with the Xbox 360.

Hidden costs — Right now, the Xbox 360's stunning graphics ability is its biggest selling point, but to take advantage of it, you'll need to invest in a high-definition TV — tacking on an extra couple hundred bucks, at least.

"We've all heard Microsoft basically saying that if you want to get an HDTV, the 360 is going to be the thing that makes you go out and get one," Crecente says. "Most of us dismissed that, but I swear, it's like they designed the 360 to make your TV look bad if you don't have HDTV."

And if you add peripherals, such as the ability to play games over the Internet, the Xbox 360 costs nearly $600!

Older consoles are not dead yet — Both the original Xbox and the PS2 are selling for $149, with the GameCube coming in at a mere $99 — in all cases, a complete steal compared to the Xbox 360.

You could take the money you saved and put it towards buying all the systems, plus a whole bunch of great games like "The Warriors."

Although he's a firm believer in the Xbox 360, Perry says, "If you buy a PS2 or an Xbox now, you're buying a system at the end of its lifespan, when some of the best games are showing up."
  2. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
    Well, I actually got two XBOX 360s in yesterday. I will have to somewhat agree with this article. I played GUN and one of the NBA 06 games. I wasnt too impressed by GUN, but the graphics for the NBA game were absolutely amazing. You can see sweat running down the players faces. I dont have a high def. tv, but you could certainly tell that it would look SO much better with one. The console itself is very cool. The menu that pops up by pressing the middle "X" button pops up in even the middle of the FMV movies. Loading time is nothing. We popped in Halo 2 to see if any graphical improvements could be slightly seen, and were welcomed by a loading screen that went 0%...100%. No loading at all. The wireless controller's range is absolutely insane. We stood at the farthest wall at my father's business and the controller worked like it was plugged in. However, figuring out how to turn it on caused a retard moment when we were randomly hitting buttons trying to get it to turn on(should of read the instructions,lol). The power supply is HUGE!!! Bigger than my brothers laptop, LOL. Overall, Im am somewhat impressed, but I would like to see it on a high def. TV and a game that was developed specifically for the system. I recommend the system, but like the article says, not without the proper tools to play the beautiful games.
  3. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well I have a HDTV and a decent surround sound system... but I still don't think i'll be buying an XBOX 360 until the price comes down a bit... its $500 CAD here for the *big* setup... I won't be even looking at it until it comes down around the $300 CAD mark...w ay too much money, I could just get a new video card for my computer for that price and run everything at very high resolutions (and if I get a video card with component out, well, Ic ould play it on my HDTV :))
  4. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    See, the way thats cornered it basically finds these points to put against purchasing one... This humors me because everything is shifting to HD over the next few years. Ahead of its time perhaps? The 360 may be... however, these are not reasons to knock it down. PS3 will be pushing the same types of hype that the 360 is --- I find it funny to watch people put a pissing match out there.

For the record however, the 360 looks fine on a standard tv...
  5. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Yeah, it looks fine. It doesnt look much better than the existing PS2, Xbox, IMHO. I think they should make it known that these games are designed to look the best on a HDTV setup.

Plus the amount of games available currently is ridiculous.
  6. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    XBOX 360 rocks and nothing you say would make me not want to get one :) PS3 sucks ass! XBOX 360 forever!
  7. Offline

Ninety Four New Member

Message Count:
    We'll see what you're saying when PS3's performance blows Xbox out of the water...
  8. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
    Yes, because Im sure youve played both for a fair comparison;) . I do think PS3 will trump this time, but its because they arent rushing, as I feel Microsoft did with the 360.
  9. Offline

Paolino SolidTuned

Message Count:
    Microsoft you would think would have waited like last time to be able to see what the competition came out with...

I have an xbox and a ps2, and I have to say there are still games I love to play on my ps2. I also still think Sony's controller has a better feel and is less bulky.
  10. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
    At first I HATED the XBOX controller, now I cant stand the joystick layout of the PS2 controller. The only thing I dislike now about the XBOX controllers are the Black and White buttons, but they fixed that problem with the 360. I really cant wait to see the PS3 in action though!!
  11. Offline

Legit01Rolla Active Member

Message Count:
    im gon wait for PS3!!!!!1
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Not gonna happen.
  13. Offline

7MGTTEConcept MK3 #2? maybe..

Message Count:
    u gotta admit....even though microsoft may have rushed out the 360...but did they do a horrible job at it? I don't think so...I think the console looks and performs great! two things I'd like to know though....1) why is sony waiting soooo long to release the ps3? I mean, it's been known about for the past 2-3 years (I've known about it quite sometime now...). 2) what was microsofts big rush to get the console out for? Were they threatened by something that either nintendo or sony put out, or just trying to prove a point?
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Microsoft has a strategy w/ releasing the XBOX 360 earlier then PS2. They don't want PS2 to establish its public market faster so that game publishers will jump on it as the primary system. The fact of the matter is the XBOX 360 from a programming standpoint is a dream to develope for and the PS2 is much more difficult to develope for. So by the XBOX 360 going public first and being the easier platform to develope on they are sure to pick up a ton of new game contracts. Sony is probably waiting because they want to see the XBOX 360 strut its stuff a little first so they can gear there marketing campaign around the downfalls of the 360 in comparison to the PS2. But we'll see in time whats really true and false :)

OMG! Where is my little suicidal animated guy go! HE WAS MY SIG Man! MY SIG! Who killed him.
  15. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    And why do you say that? Put both systems together, and compare their specs.....how will the PS3 NOT blow XBOX 360 out of the water???? Please explain to me.

Sony isnt rushing into anything, just to make money for this xmas.......Microsoft rushed into things, which is apparent by the amount of games available, and the very small amount of EXCLUSIVE games just for the 360.
  16. Offline

TRDxrs New Member

Message Count:
    Oh man you guys sound like a Honda vs Toyota thread...You guys are gonna try and convince eachother which one is right and which one is wrong. "OPINIONS" Lot of my dad can beat your dad talk going on!

Thats the same thing they said about the first Xbox. Kinda reliving the past with that comment. Just wait till it comes out, then compare'em. Anything else is speculation and that wouldn't be very educated.
  17. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Whats the same thing they said about the 1st xbox?
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    First off I did check out the specs and the face off on Toms Hardware. There is nothing that would suggest that the PS3 is the superior system in any way so I have no clue what your talking about. If your just comparing Mhz to Mhz then the PS3 comes out on top but they are very different hardware. Also the 360 is the easier platform to develope for which means that you'll probably see more quality less buddy releases for it. Anyways just judging from your post your already a Microsoft hater so I wouldn't expect you to see my side :)

Yeah hehehee :)
  19. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Im not a Microsoft hater. Im a Barnacules hater.:)

Not sure what comparison you saw, but its blatantly clear that hardware wise, the PS3 is "planned" to be superior. I think the XBOX360 has the online option going for it though, and the fact that its compatible with ipods, can be used like TIVO, etc. But if I wanted all that, Id buy a computer.
    I think the 360 is basically a desktop shrunk down to a game console, and the gaming aspect of it may be lost a little.
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Hahaha.

We'll how about this, just tell me which parts of the PS3 make it "blatantly" superior?
  21. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
    Tell me what makes the 360 blatantly superior?
  22. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    I bet ya that sooner or later, Microsoft will offer a HD-DVD drive for the XBOX 360, to counteract Sonys Blu Ray DVD Drive...."However, if Blu-ray is launched successfully, and if games somehow start regularly clocking in at 30GB and 40GB (far beyond the capacity of a DVD drive), then developers may be forced to “dumb down†PS3 content for the Xbox 360.
    Furthemore, if “consumers face the choice of an $800 Blu-ray Disc player or a $500 PS3 with Blu-ray when PS3 launches†some portion may opt for the PS3, even if they’re not gamers, and this could expand the market for games." (from Joystiq)
  23. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
  24. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    Its processor is far more flexible and easier to develope for. Takes less effort to program high performance multi-threaded content then it does on the PS3. Those are just a few things. And also the specs you list basically just show MHZ to MHZ, The chips are completely different and the graphics processors are completely different so realisticly Mhz means jack shit.

Who cares? Your TV's don't even support 1080p.
  26. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    What does the development have anything to do with anything? It may be easier, but what does that matter?

How do you know that?
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    The XBOX 360 is so damn flexible I bet 1080p will be supported anyways later down the road when it becomes more mainstream though an upgrade. The XBOX 360 is definatly the more upgradeable system. And who cares if its basically a computer? Its a $1500+ computer eqiv in a $400 box.

Because you posted pictures of your TV's in another forum post.

Developement has everything to do with it, If it takes a company 1 year to make a game on one platform and 2 years to port it to the next platform they are going to develope it on the 1 year platform first obviously.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124746.html

XBOX 360 must suck pretty hard is Square Enix is all over it like stink on a turd.
  28. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Ok, but at what cost? You keep on talking about upgrades....hell, youd end up paying close to 800 bucks after all of these "upgrades"

You have no clue what TV Im in the process of buying, so dont assume.

No on exclusives, and exclusives are what keep gamers devoted to their systems.
  29. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
    Im not fully saying one is going to be better than the other Barn...but stop being so damn closed minded. You havent even seen the PS3 in action but you KNOW XBOX will DESTROY it. Oh yeah, and fan boys are losers;) .
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    Wow, I think I hit a nerve. I said that your TV's don't support 1080p. I didn't say anything about TV's you might be "In the process" of buying. I'm technically in the process of buying a holographic projector, I just need to wait until they ship late next 20 years. Anyways that being said I didn't assume anything, the pictures you posted of your TV's proved that they were not 1080p compliant, they were too old and too cheap. I know because I too own Plasma Screens, HDTV's and Projectors. I'm not an idiot when it comes to A/V. Anyways that being said about the upgrades you are right, you could end up paying a few hundred more (note the $400 system comes with the HD and WiFi controllers already) but who cares? People spend hundreds of dollars on video games for there console so why not spend some of that on the console itself. The main reason I'm in this thread bitching is because I think your a turd for posting a thread named "Dont buy an XBOX 360" when you really don't have a clue. I agree for the most part with others, lets wait for the systems to both come out and see which one catches the consumers eye more and which one rains supreme. Right now most of what we are saying is speculation however if you do read the reviews on the two platforms it is obvious that the XBOX 360 is a dream to program for in comparison to the PS3. And if you don't think that will sway companies to develope for one system over the other then you really don't understand software developement as a business. I do agree there is a customer loyalty involved with the Play Station because Sony is the senior company in the field. But that being said Microsoft proved a huge point with the XBOX and that was it blew the PS2 out of the water. Granted the PS2 had some game support that the XBOX didn't and that is why kept them floating but performance and graphics wise the XBOX took a dump on the PS2. Now the XBOX 360 is comming out first and a lot of companies that were contracted with Sony are moving to release earlier or at the same time for the XBOX 360 which is going to put the hurt on Sony. I purchased a PS2 simply because I wanted to play San Andreas and it was not comming out for the XBOX for months after. Without sony having that vice its going to be hard for them to keep there current customers in my opinion. I mean I may be wrong, if I am the that is fine but just don't be a dick hole and post threads telling people not to do something just because your a Microsoft hater and a Sony lover. And hell I'm going to end up owning both consoles anyways so its not like I'm defending a future purchase. And we all know your filthy rich e'. So we know you need that 1080p support for your super HD Projector Theater you are installing in your new half million dollar mansion so I can see why you would want the PS3 of the XBOX 360. But honestly 1080i looks pretty amazing on 61" TV's so I don't think I need the 1080p just yet to be happy. Wow this is officially the largest post I have ever done! WOOT!