1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Doing A Tune Up

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by toyotaspeed90, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    they may be better than regular platinum plugs, but are they better than iridium? the bottom line is iridium conducts electricity better and outperforms other precious metal plugs.

off of sparkplugs.com:

Iridium is a precious metal that is 6 times harder and 8 times stronger than platinum, it has a 1,200=F higher melting point than platinum and conducts electricity better. This makes it possible to create the finest wire center electrode ever. Prior till now, spark plug manufacturers have favored platinum for their long life or performance spark plugs due to its high melting point, also the technology did not exist to machine and bond iridium on a spark plug electrode(at least in a cost effective manner). Champion spark plugs had already made an iridium industrial application spark plug, but it still sells for over a hundred dollars per plug. Just now is the technology available to effectively use iridium in a spark plug for automotive applications. The strength, hardness and high melting point of iridium make it very well suited for a fine wire plug. The primary iridium plug manufacturers at this time are Denso with a 0.4mm center electrode and NGK with a 0.7mm center electrode. Both are the best performance plugs on the market for traditional automotive use and many racing applications.

check out the comparison: http://www.sparkplugs.com/glossaryImage.asp?imgID=2
  2. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
  3. Offline

slowbluerolla Guest

Message Count:
    Does anyone know the spark plug gap for 99. I brought a NGK plugs with .044 gap, is that right or do i need to adjust it? thank you
  4. Offline

03silverrolla Guest

Message Count:
    yeah thats right.... so other plugs would work in a 00+ corolla its just that the iridium plugs give the hp that is rated for those cars along with the fuel mileage and other stuff
  5. Offline

yellow rolla New Member

Message Count:
    well i installed it tonight, i do notice easier crank start, but thats it, what alby said is correct, less maintenance the better. yea blue wires for me. hey i was lookin on ebay at the ground kits, you guys think that stuff works/ worth it?
  6. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    what's wrong with ground kits? :p
  7. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    It seems lately that I use my haynes manual more to answer your questions than for my own use.

Spark Plug Gap
    - 1997 and earlier.........0.031 inch
    - 1998 and later...........0.043 inch