1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Does anyone Fish?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hummer, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I want to pick up fishing, was wondering if anyone else here does. Do you have any tips or tricks? Last time I fished was when I was probably in elementary school. Anything would help I guess. I have also posted on our local fishing forums. I dont know how it works, but is there a fishing season or something? Is winter a bad time to do so?
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    It really depends where you fish. need a license wherever you fish.

lake fishing
    very seasonal, only open certain times, takes a really long time to catch something... I must just suck at it. You throw the line in, let it sit, when your rod wants to break there must be a fish. lake fishing I've caught salmon, trout... that's about it.

ocean fishing
    usually open year round, you can typically tell within 30 minutes if you're going to catch anything... I am very good at this :) Wait for fish to bite, manually hook it, reel in before it can spit out the hook somehow. Ocean fishing I've caught perch, sand shark, other randomness
  3. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Never been fishing, also kinda interested in this.
  4. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    used to do it. I hated coming home smelling like a slimy fish though. And i kept getting seasick, not fun laying in fetal position on the boat lol.
  5. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I fish from shore! Don't have a boat anyway.

<---- doesn't count
  6. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    check out a bass pro shop if you have one in your area.
  7. Offline

rolla_7AFE hmong

Message Count:
    i fish bass, trout, sunfish, and striper. it depend on what kind of fish you are targeting, you will have to use different gear for different fish.
  8. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    i been fishing for the asst 3 years... its my get away.. i just cast my line, sit back and relax.. if i catch something dope if not its cool..
    but ya i tried many types of fishing.
  9. Offline

1nicetrd Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Tried fishing.. Ending conclusion. Definitely should perfect the craft. lol
  10. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Fishing anytime I get the chance, now teaching my son how to fish on a private lake that we live close to. They keep it stocked with panfish and is catch and release. He loves it. If you don't want to smell like the fish you caught, you can use a rubber kitchen glove or similar to hold onto your catch while you remove the hook. That or pour in a couple of tablespoons of sugar with your usual liquid hand soap - work the sugar and soap together until the sugar dissolves, wash and the fishy scent will be 99% gone.

If this is something you are just starting off on, I'd look up information on your state's Department of Fish and Wildlife. That will tell you the legal "fishing seasons" and if you need a license to fish or not (private lakes and ponds generally do not need a license to fish from). After that, it is off to see what equipment you want to use.

Fishing tips will depend on what kind of fishing you plan on doing, where you want to go fishing, what you want to catch.

The amount of information out there is nothing short of staggering, from fishing locations (salinity) - fresh water, salt water, brackish water, rivers, creeks, lakes, ponds, oceans. Where you will be fishing from - the shore, from a pier, from a boat, off a dam, from a tube, in the water. What you will be using - live bait, lures, scents, coloration. What equipment - fly fishing, spincast reels, spinning reels, bait cast reels, pole fishing, trolling from a boat, netting, snag line. What techniques are used for different species at different times of the year.

Note that is more fishing knowledge and technique than expensive equipment to haul in tons of decent fish. My most productive fishing gear to date, is a telescoping jigging pole or sometimes referred to as a Crappie Pole (replaced an old multipiece bamboo one), quality monofilament line, quill bobber, small split shots, and wire hooks. Catch anything and everything from trout, panfish, bass, perch, even catfish and carp.