1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY permanent dash/trim paint

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by Bulletproofswordsman, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    DIY permanent dash/trim paint

i know many of i have painted ur dash pieces and had it chip off or wutever well sum of u may have found ways of keepin the paint on but this works like a charm... ok this is what youll need

spray paint
    old shoe box
    aluminum foil
    hair dryer/heat gun
    primer(optional)

1.first you take the shoebox and line the inside with aluminum foil, then u cut a whole in the side of the box just large enough for the heat gun/blowdryer to fit. set this aside for now

2.ok obviosuly you clean the part u wana paint then you prime (optional) and paint it, let the paint dry for about a minute or so till it looks dry but is wet to the touch,

3. put the painted piece inside the box

4.put the heatgun/blowdryer in the hole on the side of the box and turn it on high for about 2 minutes this actually "bakes" the paint on and it eint goin nowhere1

5. ENJOY :D
  2. Offline

Laz Z Kay "n00B, be kind"

Message Count:
    Cool DIY. thumbs up
  3. Offline

allaN_ New Member

Message Count:
    what paint do u recomend n primer ... do i need gloss? ... i bought dulpi cuz iot was on sale will that work just as good as plastic kote ...
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    like i said earlier, primer's not really necessary unless ur going from a very light color to a very dark or vice versa, besides that its more insurance than anything else, and if u follow my d-i-y u can use wutever 79 cent piece of crap paint u cud find itll stick anyway! including duplikolor
  5. Offline

allaN_ New Member

Message Count:
    it wont damage the part in ther box?
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    no nuthing will be damaged provided u only do it in there for a few minutes, u can stop and check on it in between if ur worried
  7. Offline

fastrolla96 speedbumps..yum

Message Count:
    Nice dude! Sounds like a good idea. I'll keep this in mind when I start painting my interior pieces.
  8. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    :nopics
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    how so?, i think the directions are clear enough and pretty straightforward.
  10. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    pics of your result.
  11. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It would be nice to have pics, but definitely a good tip, I might be doing mine in black this summer, so i may be trying it
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    its really pointless to put pics to tell you the truth, it doesnt really make it look that much different than regular paint its just more permanent
  13. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Only very few paints can be baked on. Trying to do this with a paint that does not support it will leave the paint looking dull and flat. And you will have to put armorall on it every day to keep it shiney. I would not rush paint drying ever. Just my 2 cents :)
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    i see what you mean

the "baking" isnt meant to replace actualy air drying, its just to further promote permanent adhesion after the fact..as far as glossiness if thats what u want, clearcoat is your friend

but yea... letting it dry first isnt a bad idea
  15. Offline

dodd59 New Member

Message Count:
    Baking is always good for just about any paint as long as you don't "burn" it. I painted a few panels with AutoAir silver and did a bake step. The AutoAir is a water based acrylic and needs both heat and airflow to fully dry out. Then I applied a rainbow flake in a clear coat, let it flash, then a few more coats of clear. Then I baked it again to get all those nasty solvents out.

Always clear coat your color coats. Just a color coat is not meant to take any abuse. Its sure to scratch and easy to chip no matter how you apply it or bake it. The clear is meant to protect and be glossy!

BTW, I used the same hair dryer technique with a 4 ft long cardboard box. It got the temp up to about 130 F. That not super hot, but more than enough to bake out the solvents. The box was big enough to contain my grille!
  16. Offline

beetlevegas New Member

Message Count:
    I have painted about 3 cars and i have never had a problem. I have never baked it like that. I am starting on my new car (so my 4th car) i think i will try this on some small parts first.
    How dose it work on Vinal parts