1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY Oil Catch Can Installment Corolla 93 - 97

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by RinconRolla98, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    DIY Oil Catch Can Installment Corolla 93 - 97

Oil Catch Can takes the oily air that normally comes from the crankcase ventilation (either by the valve cover or from the PCV valve) and send it through the tank so the oil gets trapped in a cleanable canister (the can) while the air gas re-routed to the intake. The catch can is not a reservoir or oil supply. The gunk that accumulates in it should be cleaned out and disposed of properly. Highly recommended on fuel injection cars mounted between the PCV and intake. Without a catch-can, all that oil/carbon gunk builds-up on the tips of the injectors and can cause pre-igntion (pinging) over time.

[IMG]

One of the main things is to find a open spot for the catch can . It can be placed any where you just have to purchase longer hoses .

[IMG]

The oil catch can comes with hoses but I highly recomend you use from the auto parts store they sell them by the inch . For this purpose I used a hose for show but later on I changed the hose to the black hose from my local auto parts store .

[IMG]

[IMG]

It is best to get a oil catch can that you can remove the top and not a fully sealed one . This makes it easier to clean and in this photo I added some steel wool to soak up the extra oil . ( The reason I put the steel wool is cause with it being empty the oil will splash around and possibly re-enter into the intake . )

[IMG]

Once you find your location then you screw the bracket tightly enough so that the catch can doesn't get loose or rattles . You can add meduim lock tight on the screws if you like .

[IMG]

You remove the the hose as shown in the blue arrows and you add a breather on the valve cover and in the intake you just cut a piece of hose and put a screw in it so that you seal it off . This keeps the heat from the crankcase entering your intake and releasing out of the breather . The green arrow shows the PCV where you will hook up your hose for your oil catch can and on the other side is the bottom of the intake .

[IMG]

Then you connect your hose having the one from the PCV enter the catch can and the other hose going directly to the bottom of the intake .

[IMG]

Then in the end it will look like this . This is a very simple modification . This in no way adds performance but it keeps the fuel and the oil from mixing as it enters your intake . Which gives you better gas mileage , long lasting injectors especially in older running cars .

For more DIY : http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com

2. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    Good write up. Only problem I have is the steel wool. People have reported it actually clogging up the engine when it flakes off, or something like that. Said it's Better to just leave it empty or put a screen filter. Should also note a generic eBay one should work just fine, since it's just a resevoir tank with input output hoses, and then get good quality hoses as mentioned
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    I recently checked the can and the steel wool was fine maybe on high power motors but this is a stock engine but I would never leave the steel wool in there for years with out replacing it , Plus I did get my oil catch can from e-bay for around 30 shipped . Thanks bro you got good tips . :)
  4. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Can't you use a heavy medical grade gauze?
  5. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    ok so im kinda confused what are the added benefits of adding the can
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Or you can use the metal scrubby you use copper mesh :)

[IMG]
  7. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    ^imma use that. <3 get more mpg in this 8th gen.
    Then have 42mpg+ hwy. take that prius!! lol
    (do mostly freeway driving)
  8. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    less oil floating around in your air. keeps your crankcase/pcv valves clean. keeps the hoses unclogged.
  9. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    oh alright but it wouldnt help with my oil burning problem would it
  10. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    hmm, oil burning is from a small leak that allows it to leak out and burn off on the hotter parts of the engine. (i think, my brain hurts from yelling at people on the internet already) This is just to filter out excess oil So no, it wouldn't help.
  11. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    yeah it happens from oil leaking out past the rings and burning off. im thinking my rings are dead

ok i understand how it works thanks. i was thinking exes oil going into the intake and through the valves burning off that way
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    LMAO relax movie star...LMAO

But he is correct this will not stop oil burning . Just keeps the fuel mixture as pure as it can . Like I said better gas mileage amoung what the other members said on here . :)
  13. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    LOL i'm not yelling at anyone on these forums. Mostly gun forums, and on vent.

But yeah, the excess oil in your intake system won't burn off and will just clog shit up eventually, these actually do help you get 1-2mpg maybe more
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    I do want to say the reason I put a steel wool or the metal scrubby in was because it was recomended to me by someone . You dont have to but if you think about it the tank is empty and there is pressure and the oil that sits in the bottom is gonna be hit by that pressure and spray up . The steel wool or the metal scrubby acts like a filter to hold the oil in the bottom . IMO . But I recently looked in my catch can and the steel wool is working and still looks new and when I pulled it up oil was dripping on the bottom . :)
  15. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    i believe in putting something inside of it to soak it up, i was just hearing that steel wool can sometimes flake off and cause some damage, but the metal scrub is what ive seen the most.
  16. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    God I need to read up on how an engine works, this shit makes no sense to me.
  17. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    well for this all you need to know, is that there is air in the crankcase where shit gets done in your engine, if there is too much air, it will asplode, so you need to vent it out through the PCV valve. It then exitst the PCV valve, and re-enters the system again. while the air is in there it gets gunky and oily, an oil catch can is designed to catch the oil so it doesnt gunk up your engine more than it is.
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ^^What he said.
  19. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Hmm... I think I'm getting it a little more now.
  20. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    so y cant you use a filter on th pcv valve

i have heard rumors of that opening up some horse power but not much
  21. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Ok Mr. DIY lol how about one for a 98-02?
  22. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    its basically the same
  23. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I figured, but I don't know if there are little differences... For instance, the intake on the 7th gen is in the back, but on the 8th it is up front. Just want to make sure I don't screw anything up :D
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    This is also what the charcoal canister does.
  25. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Is that something on the exhaust side of things? Please don't tell me to Google lol. I like learning from people on here who have the knowledge, and most of all, the same car lol
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    It deals with emissions due to fuel vapors in "returnless" systems. When excess fuel is injected, that excess fuel is in vapor form. A vacuum draws those fuel vapors into the charcoal canister where the charcoal gathers the vapors. The next time the car is started, the vapors are drawn into the engine along with the fuel/air mixture and burned off. This differs from the older "return-type" systems that recycle fuel vapors back into the gas tank which resulted in elevated gas tank temperatures which lead to even more fuel vapors forming.
    [IMG]
    The oil catch is essentially the same for motor oil, but does not recycle or burn off the oil. It merely stores it away from the motor to reduce gunk buildup.
  27. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Wow thanks. Pics always help too. :D Maybe I'll put this in the "what have you learned" thread instead. LOL
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I was getting rusty, so explaining it helped me reinforce that knowledge again. :D
  29. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    That's always good. I read it again and caught those changes you put in your post. Maybe it's because I read it like 10 times, but it's making more sense now.
  30. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I had originally explained how a return-type system worked and then realized it when I reread it, so I rushed to rewrite it. lol I didn't want you to read the wrong info and get it reversed.