1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY How To Remove Tint Safely With Rear a Window Defogger

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by RinconRolla98, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    DIY How To Remove Tint Safely With Rear a Window Defogger

[IMG]

This is how you remove your tint safely with out damaging your rear window defogger . First you need is a black garbage bag & Windex with Amonia , squeegee plus some cheese cloth and you need a nice hot sunny day . With humidity is even better .

[IMG]

I removed the speaker cover or you can place a towel because this is a wet and messy process . You cut open the black garbage bag so that it can cover the rear window . Then you make sure your window is facing the sun , Then you spray alot of windex on the window so that it stays wet then you apply the garbage bag as if you were tinting your windows using the squeegee , make sure the bag sticks 100% if you have to re-apply more windex . Once you have the bag looking like the photo then you can let it sit for 1hr . If you want you can do this procedure to the other windows in your car .

[IMG]

After the hour has passed you remove the black plastic bag , Then you find a corner on the tint and peel , The tint will pull away easily and might leave some glue on it but that you can easily remove it once you remove the tint you can spray more windex and with your cheese cloth and your elbow wipe away until all of the glue is removed . The windex with amonia will eat the glue . If your tint had bubbles before you applied the plastic bag you might have to repeat this until you get that glue soft .

[IMG]

[IMG]

This will be the end results . With out using a razor blade and you saved your rear window defogger . Do not get fustrated if your having problems with the tint with bubbles in it . It will come out . You just have to repeat the steps . You might go through one bottle of windex . You might have to do it over days .
  2. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Purple window tint ahhhhhhhhh
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Good writeup.
  4. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    That's why I'm nervous to get mine done lol. I don't want it to look like that. (no offense intended RinconRolla98)
  5. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    im pro now, window tinting easy.
    (my mom hates it) my windows ALL 6 are 5%

bought this other kind. easier removal for when i get a ticket sometime in the future. lol
  6. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW

if you get it done right, and legit it will look good like mine. Had it for 3 years and it still looks PERFECT. And dont get purple window tint either...
  7. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Yeah that's what I don't want lol. No purple or bubbles for me hahah
  8. Offline

JDMjody VVTLi > VTEC

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    04 Celica GTS
    old skool bubble purple tint FTMFL!! lol
  9. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well I didnt buy purple tint it changed that way , Well before you get tint on your car the reason my tint changed to purple was because it was a dye tint , but they have this other type of tint metalized and thats what I have on my car now , Tint doesnt last for ever thats why they dye ones turn purple the metalized will eventually start to go fuzzy but not turn purple so when I see that then I will replace it , But I didnt know about dye tint or metalized . So always check what type of tint they are putting on ... :)
  10. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    ALL.... If you don't want your tint to turn purple.... DON'T USE WINDEX or similar.... windex will turn it purple..... just clean it with water and it will be nice forever :)
  11. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    it's the ammonia in windex that discolors window tint. I recommend using stoners invisible glass, its window tint safe and you can get it from walmart cheap