1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY Front Doors Speaker Replacement Corolla 98 - 02

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by RinconRolla98, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    DIY Front Doors Speaker Replacement Corolla 98 - 02

This is a DIY of Front Door Speakers . The replacement or upgrade .

[IMG]

[IMG]

First you remove the door handle with a phillips screw driver . ( Warning : When you are putting the door handle back DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREW make it snug so that the inside of the handle doesn't crack )

[IMG]

Then with a flat head screw driver you pop the plastic piece gently off the metal rod that connects to the handle lever . ( Important : When putting this back make sure the plastic snaps around the rod or else the rod will pop out of the lever handle )
    [IMG]

Then with a flat head screw driver you pop up the arm rest to uncover the two screws that are holding the door panel to the door .

[IMG]

Then with a phillips screw driver you remove the 2 screws . ( Reminder : It is very important to put these screws back or else the panel will rattle , plus you are screwing into a plastic piece so dont over tighten )

[IMG]

Remove the side mirror bolt cover panel .

[IMG]

Then pull from the bottom of the panel away from the door and you will hear snapping sounds be very careful you dont pull it hard all the way off because the window switch plug is still plugged in . ( Reminder : You may need a flat head screw driver to help you at first and make sure all the plastic snaps come out if they didnt then pop them out and put then back where they belong on the door panel makes it easier to put the panel back and keeps it from rattling . )

[IMG]

Unplug the window switch plug then remove the panel and put it aside so that you have a nice view of the door . ( Reminder : Make sure you plug this back before you put the panel back and test the window lift motor . )

[IMG]

Then your speaker will be exposed . ( If you like you can remove the plastic shield so that you can see the speaker wiring or you can pull down the plastic shield half way off with removing it . )

[IMG]

With a chisel you can remove the plastic rivet that is holding your OEM speaker frame to the door . Once you break the rivits you unplug the speaker and then remove the whole spreaker and frame .

[IMG]

With a dremel you cut off the frame of the speaker that holds the magnic , because this frame can be re-used for your new speakers .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Once you remove the old speaker then with your new speaker you first wire up using the same connector as your OEM speaker , Then once you do that then you align your aftermarket speaker to the frame and mark off where you will be placing new holes . After you drill your holes then you tightly screw the aftermarket speaker to the frame . ( In this case I used Pioneer 3 way speaker 6 1/2 . )

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then once you are done you wire up the speaker so that when you put the frame with your new aftermarket speaker you can hide the wires correctly so that they don't get caught on the window track . Then with new rivets you realign the frame holes and rivit your frame to the door .

[IMG]

Then in the end your speaker should look like this . Before you put everything back on make sure your speakers are playing correctly , Then you reverse the order you took off to put the door panel back on .

For more DIY Click here : http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/

2. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    So if we get new speakers, there is a thickness restriction right? Obviously diameter, but like how far it sticks out? I wouldn't want to buy something and then not have it fit lol
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Yes you dont want the speaker to stick in the door all the way I think it will hit the window regulator . I just re-used the frame from the old one or you can cut a hole in the door panel and stick the speaker there , Everyone has there own taste . This is just a heads up for those who want to upgrade or replace :)
  4. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Ok cool. Nice DIY as always, good sir.
  5. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    no wonder my window comes down and hits the speaker... LOL
  6. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    So you can't lower your window all the way? What size speaker do you have?
  7. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    it's the same one rinconrolla is putting in his, only that I ghetto'd it with some thick inflexible wire and clamped

instead of raising them like he did

and it's not really helping with their mini bass power.... so I had to cut frequency to them below 200hz
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Go to your local junk yard rip the speakers and tell them you want it they will problaby charge you 5 bucks for the OEM speakers :)
  9. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    good thing I found a busted rolla of my year near my house :D will tear the fucker apart literally
  10. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    or just get some mdf and some screws and cut out the same shape, which is what i did i used 3/4" becuase the pionners i bought had a very large magnet and was like 2+ inchs depth so i had to push them out. i also put some of that sound deadaing stuff around the edge to make a good seal.
    this is what i made to put them in
    [IMG]
  11. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
  12. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    Medium-density fibreboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product

compressed woodchips with glue... the staple in cheap furniture
  13. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Thanks. It's easier to look here, because I googled and wiki'd, I got main distribution frame, market development funds, Maryland Deathfest, Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation, max disk formatter, so much crap, it's easier to just get an answer here. :D Google and wikipedia = not always the best answer.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    darkgamer1912 Thats nice bro .... Good idea .. Its good to see people helping each other out with out competing and putting down :)
  15. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    So by doing what darkgamer suggests, will that make the speaker sit farther out from the door? So I'd have to cut the round plastic part off the door right? Sorry, I just am trying to understand it from all sides before I start hacking up my doors and buying speakers that might not work.

Also darkgamer can you post some pics of what yours looks like now?
  16. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    damn thats a real good DIY. i should of learned this before i changed my speakers. i ended up bending the metal frame on the inside and drilled bolts on the frame...
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    The plastic on the door doesnt go down that far so your ok . All his is the same thing as the frame I used but his is made out of wood . you cant go to thick cause the door panel has a lip to seal the speaker face to the hole on the door . plus you go thicker wood your will push the panel away from the door clips . but his idea will work , my idea was simple easy and fast one day about 1 hour to do both doors . :)

PS.. There are no stupid questions when you want your car right and looking good
  18. Offline

1nicetrd Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Lovely write up! i just went and got a scosche adapter ! and rivet it in very clean install