1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Damn shift knob!!!

Discussion in 'Interior' started by sxlostv1, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    thnx for the help bro... but i dont think it'll actually work... cause the button is just too damn short... best bet is to get a push down shifter for our cars...
  2. Offline

nocpan New Member

Message Count:
    i got the exact same shifter, but i took off the old one, cut the pipe down by 2 inches, cut the metal push down rod inside it a bit too, then i installed the shifter, did exact same thing with the hand brake :D to match
  3. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    I just tried to do that with my ebrake... how´d you actually install it? got any pics?

I "peeled" the stock rubber off the ebrake but the metal rod(black) is just too thick and the new handle wont go in... I tried taking apart the whole brake handle part since i still need to cut it for the new handle to push the inner rodand try to work it so that the new one can go in... but i cant seem to pry the cable from the black metal handle. Did you have any issues with this? Any tips?
  4. Offline

Fox New Member

Message Count:
    the small black platic piece that screws into the metal rod probably didnt flush with the shifter itself... try and disassemble and re-assemble it again. everything moves smooth... nothing should be tight or locked.
  5. Offline

MY_ROLLA Guest

Message Count:
    That's exactly it! I deleted my last post because I didn't think anyone would reply by now, but YES that's it. Actually, took my awhile to figure out (had to twist counter-clockwise), but yeah, the metal piece needs to be removed so that the rod can protrude all the way down.

Hopefully, this post will prevent others from the same hardache that we had. :)