1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

CUSTOM SUPERCHARGER KIT FOR ALL 1ZZFEs!!

Discussion in '8th Gen' started by GSE21tuner, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Offline

cotalb Guest

Message Count:
    I was referred to this thread on corollacustomz.com
    I am willing to pay the $3,000 for it and live in CA.
    I might be able to make it to the group meet depending on the date that is set.
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Red italics = Pondering the $3000.

1. rollatuner110
    2. moviestar
    3. fastswimmerguy (guinea pig)
    4. Legit01Rolla
    5. whydontyouchoose may change
    6. tsburt
    7. vibebreaker
    8. rainbow_star
    9. kudkudniyog If you're really sure, you can be changed to bold.
    10.twincityfinest
    11.|-goku-|
    12.JoeyICU
    13.Cyberbilly
    14.xcaliburviii
    15.whonoes
    16.981ZZ
    17.TenZen
    18.cotalb

The list is just getting longer and longer! When will it end?!! :D:D:D I'm hoping for some more potential price reductions. C'mon 2500!!
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  4. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    I thank you for your info Carver and thank you for looking out for the rest of us. I myself and allot of others, still have questions about this kit. hopefully those questions will be answered after the fitting and testing are complete. I will be part of the fit a test party on the guinea pigs car, if he's still up for it. I'll make sure that a video is made and that plenty of pictures are taken of this. If anything causes a problem or does not work, I'll be the first to notify everyone. And no deposits or money will ever be paid for this kit, untill the fit and test is complete and all problems that are encountered are fixed. And no money will paid untill the kit is produced and made available for sale. I don't want anyone paying for an item that's not ready. due to it not being fitted,tested and had all the bugs worked out of it. A list was originally started for people who where or might be interested in purchasing this item. I don't believe that any money was asked from anyone inorder to be on the list.
  5. Offline

matadorCE Guest

Message Count:
    Until there is some real data (i.e. dyno plots, A/F plot), fitment pictures/videos/testimonials, and a heck of a lot more details given, this kit might as well not exist. And from the info Carver posted and from reading on spyderchat, that's not a too far off assumption to make at this point.
  6. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:

This is exactly what I plan to get Robin to due on the guinea pig car. If not then this thing is a no go and I would not recommend anyone to even think of buying it.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I extended the offer to MR2OC.com and Spyderchat.com. Hopefully I'll get a reply and more to add to the growing list!
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Bad news...

I got a reply from Spyderchat. Apparently the CarverCharger, a supercharger kit for the 1ZZFE, has already been underway utilizing the M90 charger. The design does plan to make kits compatible with the Corolla as well. It also includes a 1 year warranty.
    http://carverspeed.com/ourproducts.aspx
    I inquired about the pricing, however, I think that our own deal will be lower in cost. However, it does look like a quality kit. I still need to acquire the specifics.
  9. Offline

Carver Guest

Message Count:
    Warning, things you should know before you pay any $$$

(at the risk of being painted a jerk I feel I must post this before people prepay for anything).

Robin, the maker of this 'kit'... you can learn about his kit, development, character, and product knowledge here in his own posts, under the screen name bluemr2:
    http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48515
    be sure to pay attention to each of his posts

Please search that same linked forum for evidence of his automotive knowledge, such as this:
    http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49096

Strange, his quote below plainly states the kit was not installed and is just sitting in the snow as of 1/25/08 waiting for the snow to melt for a first install and test.
    http://spyderchat.com/forums/index....ic=48515&st=120
    [quote name='bluemr2' date='Jan 25 2008, 10:18 AM' post='4684961']
    ...As for me I am just waiting for the snow to melt to put mine on the car. I should be happy then with my meeger 175WHP bolt on.:icon_biggrin:[/quote]

Robin lives in BigBear CA, and has had some major snow for quite a while... it has never let up... and yet 13 days later, after almost all snow days, and after being kinda made into a joke on the sight I linked to above, a brand new user joins your forum here to sell his products? Representing for

the first post in this thread implies that this kit is tested and has run 250whp...

But the power quotes in the first post here, of 250whp, were obviously misunderstood figures from another person, a spyderchat.com user, Web 3.0, who made great numbers, but with with an M62 (an mp45 which was modified, extended, and packed with longer m62 rotors). Robin quotes this reference example on spyderchat as well... but its numbers share little with what can be expected from an MP45... I would think the builder should know this?

Fact is, the Kit has never run or been installed, run, or tested yet. For all your sakes, please wait for video, proof, or something substantial before laying out any money. Have an established member or two go out and check out the car/charger... before plopping down your hard earned money.

For what its worth...
    If you are having trouble sourcing a TRD kit, GM has the exact same product, you can shop around for best prices, but here it is:
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/result...number=12498927

If you have an 05+ car, with the drive by wire tb, an adapter pate is available and has been for almost 2 years. You can learn more about it here: (its my product)
    http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/...ead.php?t=38344
    you can also learn/see the first trd cut for tight application (mr2 spyder) on this link, and on spyderchat.com (something relevant to earlier corollas)

you can read about development of another kit (which is currently on the road and soon to be available, again, my kit) here:
    http://spyderchat.com/forums/index....24&st=0&start=0

Due diligence would be prudent.

good luck guys.
  10. Offline

matadorCE Guest

Message Count:
    I was about to say something to this effect. No way I'm giving anyone anything close to $3k (almost half of what my car is valued at) for something with vague details and pictures. People are treating this like a strut bar that you simply bolt on. <br />
    The very least this &quot;Robin&quot; person can do is sign up to the forum and give any and all details of this &quot;kit&quot; before even considering asking for money. Think people.<br />
    <br />
    and BTW I'm not affiliated with anyone who's posted on this thread. I know my post count is low because I never visit this site anymore but I've been around the Corolla &quot;scene&quot; since the C3 days....and if you're old skool you'll know what that means.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:

Robin lives in BigBear CA, and has had some major snow for quite a while... it has never let up... and yet 13 days later, after almost all snow days, and after being kinda made into a joke on the sight I linked to above, a brand new user joins your forum here to sell his products? Representing for

the first post in this thread implies that this kit is tested and has run 250whp...

But the power quotes in the first post here, of 250whp, were obviously misunderstood figures from another person, a spyderchat.com user, Web 3.0, who made great numbers, but with with an M62 (an mp45 which was modified, extended, and packed with longer m62 rotors). Robin quotes this reference example on spyderchat as well... but its numbers share little with what can be expected from an MP45... I would think the builder should know this?

Fact is, the Kit has never run or been installed, run, or tested yet. For all your sakes, please wait for video, proof, or something substantial before laying out any money. Have an established member or two go out and check out the car/charger... before plopping down your hard earned money.

For what its worth...
    If you are having trouble sourcing a TRD kit, GM has the exact same product, you can shop around for best prices, but here it is:
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/result...number=12498927

If you have an 05+ car, with the drive by wire tb, an adapter pate is available and has been for almost 2 years. You can learn more about it here: (its my product)
    http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/...ead.php?t=38344
    you can also learn/see the first trd cut for tight application (mr2 spyder) on this link, and on spyderchat.com (something relevant to earlier corollas)

you can read about development of another kit (which is currently on the road and soon to be available, again, my kit) here:
    http://spyderchat.com/forums/index....24&st=0&start=0

Due diligence would be prudent.

good luck guys.[/QUOTE]Thanks for your input. I can see that you've spent a lot of time doing R&D to the point where you can offer a 1 year warranty. I guess at this time, it's just a waiting game.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    After the initial test fit, the unit should be torture tested for any weaknesses. I'm also thinking of fabricating a pseudo heat shield for the unit for visual smog inspections.
  13. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    damn its gonna get more drama in here,i just hope that robin and carvercharger comes with a good s/c kit so we get two option than just one and probally robin will drop the price to match with carvercharger price.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Ok, so since I bet many people on here are confused as to which kit they should consider, I have read up on both and done some comparisons.

I have listed the differences.

The "EvilCharger"(what it's referred to at spyderchat)

1) Utilizes the new MP45 4th generation blower with a custom snout.(Same used in the 2ZZGE Lotus supercharger kit).

2) From the new photos, you can see the location where the pulley drives the MP45. It's ingenious actually. It's more compact than the CarverCharger kit and does NOT require an alternator relocation.

3) Fifth injector. This comes with the basic kit. On the CarverCharger, a fifth injector is extra.

4) Unichip tuning.

5) 3000-3500 dollars.

6) Available very soon.
    ------------------------------------

The "CarverCharger"

1) Utilizes the M90 blower from Ford(oval type). It's a refurbished model naturally. There has been some debate regarding whether or not this large blower is too big for practical use on the small 1.8 liter 1ZZFE. Proponents argue that the larger M90 spins slower relative to the MP45 and thus stays cooler. For example, running 9 psi on the MP45 would only be 5 psi on the M90. Outputs would be the same, however, the P90 would use more horsepower to make horsepower due to more parasitic drag. It does have the potential to make even more horsepower and torque if the owner decides to in the future. So, ultimately, it's up to the owners prerogative of future upgrades. The MP45 to me would be the best blower for making up to 200 horsepower or slightly more than that. Anything higher would require the M63 or M90 for safe boost levels. The M90 kit is also available as a low boost kit, however, that costs a little bit more.

2) Requires an alternator relocation.

3) 1 year warranty. Carver has painstakingly torture tested this kit on and off the track with proven horsepower consistency. It chased down a Mustang GT and passed it on the track. Full dyno charts are also available. Carver dares his buyers to try and break anything in his kit. Anything broken will be replaced free of charge.

4) Split Second tuning. We know a bit about this already from 05 TRD SCed.

5) 2760 dollars(This is for the MRS kit. I have no idea what pricing for the Corolla).

6) Not available for up to 1 year.

I hope this clears up the confusion. Both are great kits, so it's all up to your preference. Now that we have 2 choices, who's up for twin charging? :D:D:D
  15. Offline

tsburt Active Member

Message Count:
    true....just keep us posted though.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    If it falls through, we have a backup as well. I was reading up on the CarverCharger. It's well designed, however a M90 supercharger is a bit much for a Corolla. The M45 is a better match.
  17. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    Especially if your running stock internals and your on a tight budget. We'll see what happens. Both are good units, but nothing is good if there's no fit, run, and dyno test to prove it'll work. And a piece of paper that says dyno run doesn't mean sh** to me, if you don't have witnesses, photos and videos. I could make a BS dyno sheet and you wouldn't no the difference. Kind of goes back to what I always say, "don't always believe what people say or write untill you see the real evidence with your own eye's."
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  19. Offline

t0rres16 Member

Message Count:
    were is the alternator going to go then?
  20. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    I agree with what your saying and to tell you the truth, I'm happy that there maybe two options available for the 8th gen guys. I mean, why should the 9th gen guys, like me, have all the fun. I have to admit, if Carver can make and sell a quality supercharger kit at that price, which I have no doubt that he can and will, it'll be worth buying. Also, anything with a warranty, is well worth looking at. But for right now, I think it's best that everyone just sit back and keep an eye on both of these kits. It'll be a while I feel, before any of them become available for sale, due to testing and everything. I'm not sure what is really going on with the location of the alternator. I guess we'll find out when both are installed and tested. I must say that I'm truly sorry for getting people over excited about this and then finding out that there are a lot of issues and that the wait may be long. I've tried my best to answer all your questions to best of my ability, with the info I was given. And to tell you the truth, I've even had the same questions you guys have asked and I'm still skeptical. But when I first posted this on here, I wanted to spark interest in it and get people thinking about things that could be available that nobody knew about, instead of roming the streets and consistently being beat by hondas and so on due to not have a real power adder available. So I hope, that in some way I have helped and not let you guys down like other have. And like I said before, "I'm here with you guys for the long haul." Hopefully you will allow me that honor.
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I really appreciate what you've done for us. Keep us updated with Robin's supercharger and I'll do the same with the CarverCharger. Once the supercharger is test fitted and run, maybe the dream can actually become a reality.
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Here's the original posting of Robin's supercharger at spyderchat.
  23. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    Your welcome, bro. And I'll keep you updated on this. I hope that you'll be able to come out of the fit and test if we still end up doing it.
  24. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:

If you guys want to, you could ask him questions on spyderchat. He's in the middle of a move still and may take a little while to get back to you, but I'm sure that he will.
  25. Offline

05 TRD SCed Guest

Message Count:
    <br />
    If you want to know anything about this, which I'm currently utilizing: 4) Split Second tuning. We know a bit about this already from 05 TRD SCed.<br />
    This is the guy you need to talk with at Split Second:<br />
    <br />
    Mark Amarandos<br />
    Split Second<br />
    1949 E. Deere Ave.<br />
    Santa Ana, CA 92705<br />
    949-863-1359<br />
    <a href="http://www.splitsec.com" target="_blank">www.splitsec.com</a>
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    That guy was Duwayne McClendon. Yes, I've been around for a while too.

As for the supercharger kits, I'm just going to sit this one out and wait until the products are finished. I was going to supercharge my Corolla since it wouldn't cost as much as buying another car. Now I'm thinking I'll just buy another car instead, while waiting for Carver to develop a kit.
  27. Offline

MikeV Guest

Message Count:
    Wow. Interesting how the spyderchat sniping among two different SC kits - to date with a combined total # of installs of ONE and product sales of ZERO - has spilled far and wide. Amusing, actually.

If any of you are in the NJ area and want to be a first Corolla install for Robin's SC, PM me, I can arrange it.

Or, if you want to be involved in the development of a twin-screw-based SC with provision for an A/W intercooler, also PM me - it's being designed to fit in very tight quarters for Spyder and Elise applications, but I have very little knowledge of the corolla engine bay.

Warranty - Duh. Robin's proposed kit includes a new factory-warrantied supercharger. Why is a 1-year warranty on a rebuilt 1990s unit portrayed as a better deal??
  28. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    HMMMMM....Central NJ?

I MAY be interested since I'm so close.

PM sent.
  29. Offline

matadorCE Guest

Message Count:
    I don't give a crap about component warranties. I'll buy from someone who will stand behind their product no matter what and provide me with all the tech support I need, not someone who will disappear into the night once they have shipped out a kit. Someone who backs their products AND is willing and able to help out the customer no matter is worth every penny.
  30. Offline

MikeV Guest

Message Count: