1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Braking with ABS compared to breaking without ABS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corolla DX-R, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    that is the point but modern ABS systems will help improve even straight line braking.
  2. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    the thing is in an emergancy that is when the ABS is important.
  3. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think they don't have ABS for the same reason's they don't have traction control...

Also, there are things called 3 and 4 channel ABS, in other words, it pulsates some of the brakes individually, instead of all of them together (such as a driver would trying to pulsate non-ABS brakes).
  4. Offline

CivicEater Guest

Message Count:
    i hate ABS..

with a lowered car, you tend to lift the inside tire a bit in a turn, and if you try and brake even slightly during a turn, you get nothing.. that's a scary feeling, to THINK you can brake, but have the car decide that you shouldn't..
  5. Offline

superpilun Guest

Message Count:
    with abs, you just slam on the brakes it's very simple. you can slam on the brakes and steer at the same time. it's a very good system for novice drivers/moms/etc.

without abs, the proper way to use them is to avoid lock-up in the first place. the only way to know the braking threshold is to test it to see just how much you can brake before breaking free. though this depends on tires, alignment, tire-pressure, road material, etc. DO NOT PUMP THE BRAKES. this is the most idiotic method of braking i have ever heard. i cannot think of a single situation where you would pump the brakes. if you lock up, immediately release JUST ENOUGH to bring the brakes back into static friction and then if further braking is needed, apply braking to bring it back up to maximum static friction.

The reason for this is because the transition for static to sliding friction occurs at a greater force than the transition from sliding back into static friction. In other words, "The value of static friction varies between zero and the smallest force needed to start motion. This smallest force required to start motion, or to overcome static friction, is always greater than the force required to continue the motion, or to overcome kinetic friction." So for example, if you are emergency braking, the maximum you can decelerate is 1.0g (static friction). If you surpass 1.0 you enter sliding friction and deceleration decreases to about .80g (sliding friction). You release the brake pedal just enough to stop the sliding, so now you're at .80g (static), and you can now bring it back up to 1.0g. Of course with tires, the transition between static and sliding is not as abrupt as physics says. This is because tires have a certain percent slip, which correlated to how much area of the contact path is in sliding mode.

On another note, non-abs braking is not always worse than abs braking. For example, when braking in gravel, or other surfaces where earth can accumulate in front of the tire, the non-abs car will stop shorter because of all the crap piling up in front of the tire. (This is the only reason why rally cars drift and are actually faster - a main point pro-drifters used to use to claim drifting is faster but now you know the truth). I've seen videos of non-abs cars stop a full car length shorter than the abs car in gravel.

In either case, abs or non-abs, if you get into a SPIN just apply full braking.

I hope that answers most questions.
  6. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    I didn't read the whole thing of what superpilun wrote ( I don't understand it anyway). But TO ME, just my thought, don't flame please, PUMP THE BRAKES will transfer the weight to the front wheel, that will increase TRACTION and shorten the brake distance.

I think it really depends, if you're in the straight line braking, using superpilun's method maybe the best idea. But what if you're in the corner? With our FWD rolla, we will have crazy over steering, but bumping the brakes will help you a lot in the corner.

Once again, it's just my thought, don't flame or quto on me please. :p
  7. Offline

rezurex Guest

Message Count:
    good post pilun.
  8. Offline

hondakiller Guest

Message Count:
    ok i'll give you my brake issue while i am waiting to buy my rolla wagon (saving $) i'm have my back up car a ford thunderbird sc 3.8 supercharged rwd monster with 275hp and 310ft lb of torque it hauls ass www.sccoa.com this car has one of the most complex abs system made. to replace the whole unit will run u like $3500.00. just be glad that those of u that don't have abs. b/c you would have alot of crap to deal with. plus parts cost so much more.

but i can steer a whole lot better when i slam