1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Fitness bowflex

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 94corolla-chafita, May 21, 2008.

1. Offline

94corolla-chafita uhh im a dude..

Message Count:
    bowflex

who has one? i have one and i do this 1hr thing 3 days of the week and to tell you the truth im getting tighter around my abs. not loosing any weight though just seem to be getting more fit. time to start dieting too i guess.
  2. Offline

tsburt Active Member

Message Count:
    i have one for like 4 years already..... i have no idea why i bought it. never used it.
  3. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    run at least 5 days a week...you'll lose weight in no time. true story.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    i have a treadmill i use it before my bowflex routine to warm up. but yeah i think ima try it 5x a week

btw how long should i run for? i have no clue how to measure in miles on that thing so i just do like a 20 min sprint... should i go for at least 1 hr when im not working out w/ the bowflex?
  5. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    my buddy had it for about 10 yrs. It gets absolutely no use all.
  6. Offline

tsburt Active Member

Message Count:
    if ur a skinny person and want to gain some muscle, the bowflex is not a good idea. the bowflex is more for people trying to lose weight and getting in shape. i think it does work though, just need to be consistant
  7. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    you are supposed to bowflex before you run....
  8. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    i've had it for 3 years, used it for 3 years.. until i moved. then i had to sell it. great machine
  9. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    we just have a weight bench and a bunch of freeweights. you get a better upper body workout with them, anyway.
  10. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I agree. Free weight training is the way to go.
  11. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:

how long? well it depends. on the days that you're weight training, you should do a light jog for 20 minutes after weight lifting.

how good of a runner are you? i mean if you can't jog for longer than 30 minutes..then make that your goal. start out jogging 15 mins long...then 20....till you reach your 30min goal or whatever it is you're trying to get to.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    ^^^ yeah im 236lbs.... yeah on weight training days i do 20mins but its a full speed sprint. so im thinking 30min on other daysor like an hour jog. my goal is loosing my man boobs!!!!! lol

i was like that with free weights too. i still have them and use them from time to time. but the bowflex is nice too. variety of workouts and safer than free weights. has leg attachment and ab thing and everything.

thanks for that info vibe!!
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    I agree with that, the bowflex is definately safer especially iof you work out alone (which is what people normally do at home). I almost crushed myself benching 205 for the first time.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    ^^^ lol i went 30 mins on the treadmill at full speed and i almost had a heart attack. and i officially started my diet today. all i had to eat was 2 ham and cheese samiches for lunch and lots of homemade green tea all day. ive done it before at it showed results. this calls for a new thread on dieting....
  15. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    we should create a thread for our diet. like a journal.

we put down what we ate, what exercises we did like how much or how long we ran for, what exercises - how many reps and how many sets.
    we can even post pics of ourselves and see the progress we're making as time goes on.
    then we put down our weight on a weekly basis.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    next time try to throw in some lettuce or something. take multi vitamins too if you can. the biggest mistake people do is not eat enough stuff that will give you proper nutrition which will reverse the effect of what you are looking for.

drinking water will also benefit a diet although I don't like the idea of 8 glasses a day. my recommendation is drink when you get thirsty or if you think you're hungry and you want to hold off for a few hours, "sip" on water for a while (not gulp down a glass) and that will help you decrease your urge for hunger.

best diet is no diet in my opinion, just decrease your caloric intake and increase your exercise. That is my idea of a diet, not eat less and exercise.
  17. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    only drinking when you feel thirsty is a no-no.
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    i disagree. but maybe i didn't clearly explain myself. if you're not doing anything, just drink when you feel thirsty. your body is already mostly water therefore "hydrating" it more won't do much. in fact, you'll see most of it getting flushed out and if you drink too much you'll start to hurt your body. If you are exercising vigorously or you are in a very high temperature area, keep drinking on a fairly constant basis to keep hydrated. does that make sense or do you still disagree with my original comment?
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    can a mod move these post to the new dieting thread imabout to make?
  20. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    actually, most of the time, people are dehydrated because they don't feel thirsty...they confuse what feels like hunger as needing food, which is why we're so damned overweight in this country.
  21. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    sell it to me for 50$ lol

QFT

QFT
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    I partially agree with you on that. Actually it depends more on what health state you're in. If you are considered "unhealthy" and you don't drink a lot of liquids, then your statement above will apply. But statistics also show that people who are trying to become healthy or already is healthy are more the people who end up drinking too much water most of the time. Most people have heard the 8-10 glasses of water a day which is a general comment but if you are petite, yeah.. you'll drown yourself.

As for eating when you don't need to eat, I read an article on sciencedaily.com a while back about how a particular hormone doesn't get produced to deactivate the hunger area of your brain therefore you keep eating because you don't think you're full and you keep eating until you feel full. Of course the types of food you eat will be a factor too but they did an experiment where they trigger that portion of the human brain with drugs and the people being tested on just stopped eating. Interviews showed that they knew they could eat more but just lost interest in the food and eventually they all started to lose the fat/weight.

Well back to bowflex since health subject is made in another section, I prefer the bowflex over free weights. Its harder to keep stable and balanced when working on the bowflex therefore you're using more different parts of your muscle while exercising to keep things balanced. The mistake many make is trying to gain more muscle and get big with the bow flex but in my opinion, doing that is better with free weights and doing more cardio - lighter weights/resistance and more reps is better with the bowflex. Of course once you get used to the bowflex, you can add more resistance and go for more bodybuilding. I think i got into the bowflex back in highschool because in middle school I got big from weights but I never lost the fat so I was just huge for a short guy and didn't look right.

I personally like the bowflex, I know it works and the fact that they still sell it means there are people who think the same way i do and would prefer to buy a bowflex over something else.

Oh and you guys know that machine chuck norris endorses? good machine too but even chuck has a bowflex at his place according to one of the stunt women I know who has worked with him in the past. haha
  23. Offline

XRSAZ New Member

Message Count:
    bowflex

I don't have a Bowflex but have worked out on them before; and I tend to agree they do promote fitness & weight loss more than muscle bulk.
    Running or something similar will work best for the weight loss. But there are alot of factors to consider, gender body structure, present fitness level.
    This gentlemen helped me alot many years ago with diet planning. I went from 6' 180 - 235 in slightly over one year and no Roids all natural. He's good with weight loss planning as well

her is the link
    http://www.parrillo.com/diet-plans.asp
    Good luck,; Yes you can! ;):)
  24. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    P90x Ftw! :)
  25. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    i dont understand the logic behind the words bolded. how is it harder to stabilize on the bowflex than FREE WEIGHTs?
  26. Offline

Message Count:
    I was just thinking about starting p90.. I found a couple of torrents on mininova:D
  27. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I just sprained my wrist, so weight training is out of the question for now. Even typing hurts a little.
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    imagine bench pressing with free weights, assuming your on ur back gravity pulls the weight straight down, so you push up. its a simple up and down motion that only uses your chest muscles. now on the bowflex, you sit upright. when you push straight out from your chest, the cables want to pull your arms apart. so you have to stabalize that by using your chest, shoulders and arms.

ive used both methods, free weights and Bowflex, and i think you get more use out of other muscles than with free weights. and yes im trying to lose body mass. so runing and bowflex + less carbs for me!!

ooooo p90 has torrents available? pm link! pls..
  29. Offline

Message Count:
  30. Offline

Message Count: