1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

been digging and searching & can't find it...

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by yasdc05, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Raybrig makes good stuff.

If you want to do it on an 8th gen, here's an idea of how to properly mount one.

[IMG]
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    ^^ Super clean! Great example.
  3. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    The only other thing I can think of is if you have a trailer queen and need something to hook your tie-downs to. :superconf
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Yeah, true. I guess you can use it instead of a trailer hitch.
  5. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That tow hook is not attached to any structural part of the car so it is useless. While hondas have a factory tow hook under the license plate, toyotas dont. More than likely it's just attached to the plastic bumper and you'll rip off the bumper when trying to tow with it.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    LOL So it's truly useless on a Toyota. However, don't Toyota's have factory tow hooks in the front? Right below the crash bar?
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    yea, there's 2 in front. They're good for winching the car onto a flatbed towtruck. But the main purpose of racing style tow hooks is that SCCA/NASA mandates that you must have a clearly marked tow point with at least a 2 inch diameter opening on the front and rear of the vehicle. This helps them clear the track more quickly and easily in events of a crash where it renders the factory tow points inaccessible.
  8. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:

obviously you have never ran your car to the limit at the track , and run off into a gravel trap or sand berm. reverse or not , you aint commin out once you go in. has nothing to do with jdm , ever watched scca speed sanctioned touring ?amarican based touring and american soil produced vehicles , they got em. oh yeah so does le mans, thats us and europan.

take it from somebody who DOES race on an international course (road atlanta). when its dead of summer and you run off into a sand berm , its not too pleasant for you nor the snatch truck driver to have to get down in the hot ass sand to hook to your fatory tow points. 2 sometimes , depending on how far you go into the sand berm (it gets deeper , the closer to the wall) you cant get to your factory tow points because your car body is bottomed out on the sand.

and before anyone makes the remark"if you can drive you wont go off the track" if you dont run off at least once, then your not pushing yourself , and not pushing the car . anybody who races an international track ; ametuer , novice , or proffesional will tell you the same thing.

thanks jspex , case and point.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    True, but how many of those with tow hooks actually use them? Besides real track racers, not very many. It's just case in point. That's why I said it's flare.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Well I doubt the corolla on page1 sees any track time. Which makes him nothing more than a hard parker

[IMG]
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  12. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    i dont know hes got some pretty serious rims and tires on it. but i do agree that if your gonna make your car look like a racecar , then it should do the deed as well:D and j is right , theres nothing there where that one is , unless its bolted to the spare tire well. i have two 5/8" , 2" eyehooks that i thread into the front and rear bumper brackets/braces when i hit the track. road atlanta has some thick ass runoffs.

p.s. , i havnt forgot about you jspex :) trust me , i will have that bar soon.. . . . .. .

i wonder why the car in the pic has one yellow reverse light and one clear. ive never seen that one. that must be the new veitnamese style , VDM!! rofl
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    yea I got the same rims, except mines is the real shit made by Racing Hart and is wrapped with Advan A032's :p

I honestly don't think his tow hook is bolted up to anything structural, the sheet metal for the spare tire well doesn't count either because its just thin sheet metal.. mines is bolted up where the rear bumper support is.

No worries, i'm too busy to take the roll bar out of my car anyways..