1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Bad alignment possibly?

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by MacktasticSlick, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Bad alignment possibly?

My friend has hit a curb on many occasions, and so has his mom, with his car. Granted, it's not a Corolla, or even a Toyota, it's a 91 Ford Tempo. Anyway, to drive straight, he has to hold the wheel slightly to the left, and if he lets go, it veers pretty bad to the right. Something tells me this may be more than just alignment issues, because I thought that when your alignment is off, you can still hold the wheel straight and the car will go straight. But the steering wheel as I mentioned needs to be held at a fairly decent angle. Now he wants to know of this is an easy fix (read as inexpensive) considering he only paid 1200 dollars for the car. Does this sound like a simple alignment would fix it, or could this be a suspension related thing?
  2. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    my car does the same thing, the steering wheel is off balance and i have to hold it slightly to the right for it to drive straight, and if i let go of the steering wheel it will drive straight but the steering wheel will still be off balance, its all about the tires and alignment, an alignment shop can fix it pretty cheap.
  3. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Quick reply FTW

I told him it is most likely just alignment (I was hoping lol) and they're like what 70 bucks? He was worried it would be some mechanical issue that might get worse over time. Anyway he said if it's just that he doesn't care too much about holding the wheel sideways for a while until he gets a new car next year. Apparently a Tempo ain't a chick magnet for a 20 year old guy. Who knew?
  4. Offline

bennyboi9 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    allignment down the road from me would go for about 45 bucks, so he should be sweet. Sounds pretty dangerous to me though, especially if he is driving at high speeds. tell him to get it done asap.
  5. Offline

Unique102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    After I did my suspension, my allignment was off pretty bad. I would have to hold the wheel to the left to go straight and when I would let go, it would stray to the right. But an allignment corrected that problem. However with the recent snow storm that we just got, I smacked a curb pretty good and threw out my allignment again so another trip to the allignment shop is on order when I return from vacation. Anyway, the problem your friend is having would probably be corrected with an allignment. Good luck.
  6. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    ok thanks guys for the replies, I'll let him know.
  7. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    hey bro,

I had the same problem and it wasn't the alignment. Look at his rims and search for the slightest bend in the outer ring. My front right tire went up a curb to avoid a dumbass kid running across the street. I started having a small vibration as well as holding the steering wheel to the left while driving straight. I thought i threw out my alignment, but when I put my summer rims on the car all was fixed.

Also, the dent on the rim was barely noticeable. It was like a very very small abnormality in the curvature of the steel's otter most ring.

Make sure to check for that first. Same thing happened to a firend of mine who hit a pothole.
  8. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Just take the car in for an alignment. Technically you have yo check ALL front end parts of the car before you can do an alignment. If there are any loose tierod ends or ball joints or anything bent out of proportion, they will tell you before you can align it.
  9. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Ok I'll tell him thanks. Although he said it doesn't vibrate or anything, it just doesn't drive straight.
  10. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    my vibration would only be felt at 60 mph. Just throwing out my experience.
  11. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Hmm... Well he lives a mile from work, and he doesn't like freeways, so he doesn't drive it above like 50 mph LOL
  12. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    I wouldnt take a tempo above 50 idk if it would hold up. lol or im just a biased bastard on those cars haha
  13. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    LOL haha My grandpa had one back in the day, but he was old so he never drove above 55 :)
  14. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    If an alignment doesn't fix it, it could be a bent control arm.