1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Are you more of a "SHOW" person or a "SLEEPER" person

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Cuztomrollaz98, Feb 8, 2005.

?

Which is your favorite set up on cars.

All Bling Bling show look? 0 vote(s) 0.0%
All speed, sleeper, look? 10 vote(s) 9.5%
Mix of bling bling and speed? 40 vote(s) 38.1%
Don't know/other 55 vote(s) 52.4%
  1. Offline

kwong2001 New Member

Message Count:
    Does the body kit serve some aerodynamic purpose? Or is it just for looks? Those are MR7's right? How much do they weigh?
  2. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    damn dude thats soo friggin rice... LOL jk bro, nice lookin if i do say so myself. i'm not a big fan of that kit personally, but it does look good on your ride. :)
  3. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    it looks koo but I wouldn't get a whole body kit......most I'd do is like TOM'S KIT or a TRD KIT about it...... turbo is A MUST!!!! lol. Maybe later on down the road if I'm crazy enough (which yes I am lol) I'll end up swappin a 1JZ-GTE or a 2JZ-GTE in the next rolla I buy lol
  4. Offline

HellishMantis New Member

Message Count:
    thanks vortex. she aint your ordinary rice rolla. she gotta little 2z zip to her ;)
  5. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:

Someone really didn't read someones's whole post... :D

Jerry: Before your swap, your car *might* have been classified as rice...

But like I always say, rice is mostly an attitude. :cool:
  6. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe kinda like no one expecting my pretty stock lookin rolla to be packin a turbo under the hood... lol
  7. Offline

UKO Jon

Message Count:
    Sleeper for sure. Surprise those grandmas...lol
  8. Offline

Tim.tC teh shiznite

Message Count:
    BodyKits do actually serve a purpose other than looks. They increase downforce depending on kit, Direct more air towards intercoolers, to name a few. Spoilers. Not a fan of spoilers. And if you think a hood scoop isn't rice thats your opinion. If you think decals isn't rice thats your opinion. My post started out stating it was entirely my own opinion. And to partially quote someone and then state the person doesn't know anything about cars. IN MY OPINION. Is very rice.
  9. Offline

kwong2001 New Member

Message Count:
    Yes, body kits *can* help aerodynamics and all that jazz, but you know, about 98% of all body kits were never designed in a wind tunnel.
  10. Offline

superolla New Member

Message Count:
    its got to be both, why have $15,000 under the hood when the car looks like is worth $500
  11. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    haha, actually i had some kid rev on my one night (i guess he figured i was just kinda ricin it out cause of my drop, rims, tailpipe, clear tails) and when we both got on it, his eyes about popped out of his head just as i blew off, went into 3rd and left him in the dust, lol. *shrug* i've been really enjoying it but im still going to put on a kit in march or so... i really miss my old look.
  12. Offline

NRM NRDADDY > YOU

Message Count:
    Give me one example of a bodykit that actually increases downforce. I know of none. Directing air sure, but what kit increases downforce? It's already been shown that most cars would gain a higher top speed if they just dropped all the cometics.

I have never seen a real body kit that serves any other purpose besides looks. Unless we're talking F1 here and not Corolla.
  13. Offline

Tim.tC teh shiznite

Message Count:
    Didn't say all kits increase downforce. I said it was dependant. You CAN get a kit that increases downforce. Or fabricate your own kit that does. Anytime you do anything to your vehicle that results in more air moving over the car, than under the car you are creating Downforce. I have seen bodykits with a wide mouth that just Screams "Give me an intercooler." No where in any of my posts did i state that "looks" were not the main purpose of a body kit. I said they do serve other purposes than looks. I'll give yah an example. Searl Tate's old '95 SE-R looked very much sleeper. Except the front facia witch had a huge mouth for its big intercooler, and the stickers, but he had sponsers.

http://www.se-r.net/about/200sx/scc/feb99/index.html

U gotta love the fact that the lil nissan beat a 996 :p
  14. Offline

NRM NRDADDY > YOU

Message Count:
    I didn't say you said that all kits increase downforce. I just said that I do not know of a single kit that actually does increase downforce, even with the "INCREASED DOWNFORCE" looks. That's why I asked for an example of one.

I agreed with kits that direct air. I didn't ask for an example of that.

Instead of stating

Most don't, so maybe you should have just said a select few instead of stating "Bodykits do actually serve a purpose other than looks". And for most the people with bodykits, they aren't trying to direct anything but attention.
  15. Offline

kwong2001 New Member

Message Count:
    Mugen and Do-Luck both make kits that are designed to help aerodynamics. I think it's Do-Luck that has a very sick carbon fiber spoiler for downforce.
  16. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    to me rice is anything done unprofessionaly and cheaply wether it be audio, aesthetics, or performance
  17. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    hahaha oh yea isn't by any chance that one integra u told me about???? man I love when ppl think that Corollas are grandma cars...hehehe but what they don't kno is that rollaz r full of surprises *evil laugh* :D
  18. Offline

renfield90 New Member

Message Count:
    I agree with Dr Tweak...rice is an attitude, usually manifested in tasteless mods...

I have stuff on my car that serves no real purpose...but if you saw my car you wouldn't think rice (S2000 antenna, red radio and a/c lights for example) because it's done tastefully, and because I know how much (or how little) HP those mods give me.

Engine Modifications: $15,000
    KBB Value: $400
    The look on the guy's face when his ass is handed to him by a grocery getter: priceless
  19. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    let me rephrase..... first off.... on most cars that are EFI you will generally see an overall loss in carb'ing your motor..... yes, they are easier to tune (unless you're using a controllable computer), however because even temperature changes can affect performance, tuning them is a pain....

also, running a hood scoop on a car with a carb..... what gain will you get? some sort of "ram air".... HA.... the only cars that see any sort of gain by this is formula cars.... mainly due to the fact of changing pressures between the pressure above the trumpets and in the trumpets.... and that pressure gain is gotten by the scoop actually going from a small hole to getting very large....

secondly, adding a hood scoop to a car that didn't have one before will actually cause an unwanted air drag on the engine bay... the only way to fix that would be having more power in excess of the loss of aerodynamics

but enough about me....
  20. Offline

iAMconfused TRD Whore

Message Count:
    I'd really prefer a mix of speed and style, but my corolla's my daily driver, and hell if I would sacrifice mileage for a few hps I would probably never use during those regular traffic jams.

Although I AM thinking of pushing it to 220hps when I got the cash... :D (you know, just for those "occassions")

And as far as the downforce go, you can put a ton of sandbags in the trunk and hang huge rocks on the bottom of your car. Try that for downforce.
  21. Offline

ObsidianS New Member

Message Count:
    I prefer sleeper because I love the look on someones face when you're pulling ahead of their 2004 Mustang GT "Saleen" in a copper '83 Toyota Corolla DX. Of course, stock wheels have to go as do stock suspension, but both of those serve a purpose, they just look good too. tint is about the only visual mod I have that doesn't affect oerformance. I'm drivin a Black '04 S now, so far only mod is a CAI, trying to decide on exhaust, wish I had my '83 with me but couldn't drive 2 cars from WA to GA and needed a daily driver, so 83's with the parents.

The order I follow for modding

1) Engine

2) Exhaust

3) Suspension/braking system

4) Tranny/driveshaft/Diff

5) Rollcage

Of course I'm all for personalizing your car, I add little things here and there to set mine apart, but overall I try to keep the stock look intact
  22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe now theres a hell of a drive... done that one a couple times... did Augusta, GA to Seattle, WA then Seattle, WA to Augusta, GA a year later... then to add insult to injury, I did Augusta, GA to Brenham, TX to Denver, CO to Seattle, WA. LOL
  23. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    lol nice.....I have to go to Virginia and come back in like as quick as I can.......man I'm gonna b flyin lol
  24. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe been there done that... 2003 route when i turbo'd the rolla -> Denver, CO to Augusta, GA to Richmond, VA [TURBO'D] to Augusta, GA to Washington, DC to Richmond, VA to Denver, CO...

now *that* was a hell of a trip.
  25. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    haha nice dood I bet it was hell BUT at least u got ur break in miles hehehe....I have to pick up my Talon since the last owner had to put a few goodies in it hehehe....... I also painted it black...I don't like white anymore. U should see the FMIC I have in that thing.
  26. Offline

Zero2Endless New Member

Message Count:
    Sleeper'ish, not ricey, but a bit showy, you know JDM stuff JDM wannabe stuff LoL, nice deck, good sounding exhaust (only TRD for us haha) nothing gaudy and yuck. I'm sure others catch my drift.
  27. Offline

Bulletproofswordsman JDM Oroku-Saki

Message Count:
    i have bodykit, i have custom paint, but i keep it clean nothing ridiculous
  28. Offline

Tim.tC teh shiznite

Message Count:
    My father's '77 el camino has a Cowel Induction hood. wich is pretty much a hood scoop connected to the carb.
  29. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    I'm thinking more along the lines of a sleeper but with rims and exaust just for good measure but I do have TRD stickers and some power sport sponcer stickers (from my bikes)
  30. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe right now im running no stickers - to the naked eye/ear im just a rolla with some tail lamps, a drop, some wheels and a larger than normal exhaust. :) --- that is until you hear me rip on it and you hear me spool and blow off just as i shift and walk on by... lol :)

however - im still going to change the body styling slightly - i'm diggin the sleeper look but its just not "me".

So you're in lakewood huh? hehe just down the street. I'm in westy/broomfield.