1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Anybody Use Auto-RX?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by VErolla, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Offline

VErolla Member

Message Count:
    Anybody Use Auto-RX?

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience using this stuff? If so What was your experience like? I am using the product right now in hopes of freeing up a stuck piston rings. I have heard that it can help with the oil consumption issue that plague the 98-02 corolla's. Is this true?
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Nothing can stop oil burning other than a rebuild. You need new rings and seals. I wouldn't try any other engine cleaners other than proven BG 44K Power enhancer.
  3. Offline

VErolla Member

Message Count:
    anybody use auto-rx?

Hey thanks for the info. I have never heard of BG 44K but i will check it out and also see if auto-rx will slow down the oil consumption i am experiencing. If that doesnt work then ill just do an engine swap or rebuild not sure which avenue i will take. For now i am not burning that much but it could be my car is running rich from the ELP CAI and my Exhaust whic consist of a highflow cat with an axle back magnaflow muffler. So we will see what happens later on down the road. thanks for the info
  4. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Depends on how much consumption is really going on and what mechanism is causing the oil consumption. If you have an engine that goes through a quart of oil every 100-150 miles - then Auto-Rx or any other product will not help. A quart every 1000 miles and due to stuck rings, a product like Auto-Rx might be able to help. Doesn't work in all cases, in the cases it does work - great - otherwise, you just wasted $20-30. The BG 44K stuff is usually stocked at dealerships - can also be found at many specialty retailers / service centers as well.

That said - you have to be a bit careful before apply any additive to a given situation, until you get more information of what is going on.

Did you do a compression and leakdown test first?
    Did you happen to get the used motor oil tested to get a baseline of wear metals?

Those would be the first things I would have done - otherwise, it is possible, though remote, that you could actually INCREASE the amount of oil consumption by cleaning it with Auto-Rx or similar engine flushes/solvents. Need to find out if it is stuck rings or bad valve seals causing the problem (both are pretty common on some model years of 8th gen Corollas - so far mine is good, doesn't burn a drop, "knock on wood").

Also running aftermarket bolt-ons can confuse some ECMs - this could lead to improper fuel/air mix that, if on the rich side, can "wash" down the cylinder walls and dilute the engine oil with fuel - making it more susceptible to being burned off during normal engine operation.
  5. Offline

VErolla Member

Message Count:
    i am burning about 1 quart every 600 miles or so. But that was before i found oil build up around the valve

cover gasket and since then i have replaced the valve cover gasket and changed out my pvc valve and

grommet. Plus i changed my oil to a 10w30. This has seemed to help a little since i made the changes. i have

gone 300 miles and my oil level went down just a little bit i would say my oil consumtion has gone down

about half. So far i have not tested the compression on my engine. I am hoping that Auto-rx regiment will

work to free up the stuck rings. i dont see any evidence of my valves leaking. So maybe after the complete

use of aut-rx i will check the compression if i see no difference. Maybe ill check my compression before and

after to see a comparison and to see if aut-rx works. I am curios

So it looks like the BG44k is only used to clean the top end of the engine likes the valve

guides and seals. Can it be used to free stuck rings? Concerning the aftermarket boltons what could i do to

correct for the confused ECM? To adjust the Air fuel ratio?
  6. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    They do make BG products that specifically clean piston rings - http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html You are correct, the BG44K is used for top end cleaning only (deposits in induction system) - but I think that was used for an example - BG stuff covers the whole engine.

Not much you can do for the air/fuel mix - as that is set by the ECM. Many times there is enough "slop" in the OEM map to compensate for typical bolt ons - though it seems to vary from car to car. Only real way around this is to run a piggyback ECM - like GReddy, Camcom, or similar. Not worth the expense unless you are thinking about future power adders - like forced induction or maybe new cams.
  7. Offline

VErolla Member

Message Count:
    Auto-rx rinse phase completed

I just finished the cleaning phase of the aut-rx application. During the cleaning phase my MPG went up my oil consumption went down a little bit. When i changed the oil the oil was blacker than i ever have seen oil and my oil filter was heavy and felt solid just like the previous filter i change at 1300 miles inot the cleaning phase. I am now 100 miles into the rinsing phase and let me say that my car is running better than it has ever in its life. It has noticeable power gains and accelleration the idle is smooth and the engine noise is less. i suspect that my mpg will go up and my oil consumption should reduce over time. Time will tell and I still have to complete the 3000 mile rinse phase. I plan to run two complete auto-rx applications to hopefully cure the oil consumption issue i am having.
  8. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    To my knowledge, BG 44k is a prep fluid. You should use it once, then drop down to running a can of MOA every couple oil changes or so.

There are very few products I swear by. BG's stuff is one of them.

I've used MOA in every vehicle I've owned and the stuff is incredible. Ontop of that, if you want to keep the fuel system smooth, dump a can of MI3000 in every 10ish tanks of fuel.
  9. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Yep. BG 44K FTW. I don't trust these other brands like Auto-RX. There's a reason why they don't sell 44K in stores.