1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

8th Gen (98-02) Showoff

Discussion in '8th Gen' started by Shifty, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Did they take your cat out when they did the pipe? Because that's not an OEM exhaust pipe, so if the cat has been deleted, that's just dirty exhaust, or it's just starting to burn your bumper from it not exiting at the back of the car all the way. I'm sure that's all it is, is just exhaust residue, does it clean off? That's gonna help figure out what it is. I wouldn't be worried though, that crap comes out of all older cars like ours, just with the OEM exhaust, it leaves the car way out in the back, where it can't be left on the bumper.
  2. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    When you get a new exhaust system it takes a few days for all the gunk to be shot out from the muffler.
  3. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Oh yeah that's true, I was assuming this was done a long time ago.
  4. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    Cat is present, we cut it before the turn to install the muffler at the angle...when i wash my car i tried so hard to take it off but wont come off, im guessing its burn? cuz one time i burned myself (fail) trying to remove my silencer the day i got it...its been at least a good 2 months, it started to turn black i would say on the second week
  5. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Just a burn, if the cat is still there, don't worry about it. You can always sand it and repaint it whenever it gets bad, as long as it's only a slight burn, and not a melt like what I went through. I now have a sheetmetal heat shield on my bumper. Looks kinda cool but I did it for function first.
  6. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Its normal, its jsut left over dried up crud from the muffler, exhaust shavings.
  7. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Wouldn't the crap that spews from a new exhaust setup come off though? That's why I thought it was a burn. Either way dude don't worry about that, worry about getting your car painted :)
  8. Offline

cBass buffalo bell lover

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2005 Corolla XRS
    ohh MacktasticSlick i saw that picture of ur bumper a while back, that sucks! my bumper is fiberglass, if it would get very hot wouldn't it catch on fire? lol

man i just want to paint this car already but im a college student...books before ride, my birthday is coming up in late november and hopefully i get some extra cash or paint!:D
  9. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Hmm not sure what hot fiberglass does lol
  10. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    you can make pottery!
  11. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Woah woah, calm ye none believers. Hummer, your telling me that your buddies NA 1.6 civic making over 200 (This is fact) horsepower is any more plausible that my cars measly 165?lol Let me remind all of you that's only an approx 35 horse power gained from stock. Let me put it in simpler terms, between the lines of the research on the 1zz indicates that it is a powerful motor tuned for economy. Gaining 15 more horses from all of the shit I've done to my car sounds reasonable, but with proper tuning it can be much much better. Anyways here is the chart. I took it the dyno yesterday for you fags, and am plesantly surprised to see I've only lost ten hp.
    [IMG]

its just exhaust residue. idk if you noticed but subarus get it all the time from the muffler "tilt mod"

lookin pretty good seige. i would have to agree with everyone else though, shoulda gone tilt mode. or some upward angle, idk if you can do anything about that.lol still though, save up for some bc coils and slam that beast.
  12. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I dont know what fact your talking about, but you have yours all wrong. First of all its not a 1.6, its a 1.8 liter Type R motor making 170 hp stock with a facotry built racing transmission, add on some bolt ons like a header, intake, exhaust, tuned computer, not to mention some other after market performance peices here and there in the motor. It is definetly more plausible that his NA is making 200 hp+. I would think a car built with the intention of racing in mind would definetly have more potential than a car built with economy in mind.
  13. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    That is right, you dont know what fact im talking about and i was certainly not down playing any mods hes done to his car. I just thought it was a 1.6.lol I was saying it is fact that that his car is making 200+ hp. But I got your dyno sheet. I dont have anything else to prove.
  14. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Ok guys geez. No wonder this board dies.
  15. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    lol just defending my honor
    If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying that the civic, stock, was built for racing?! Hell, if i remember correctly, your buddies civic was a base model, "built" for economy too. Did you know that with the exceptions of slight valve timing, the mpg reached by the 1zz is mostly done by tuning? Stock the motor was tuned for economy. But when you change the map of the ecu, hence "chrome" in my case, you can see that the motor can gain some power. The car was built like a light weight sub compact, tuned for max mpg. Not to mention, everyone here should know that its harder to get a car from 170 to 200+ than from 130 to 170.
  16. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Gotta love Internet arguing.
    CorollaGT likes this.
  17. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    wow at idle that muffler sounds just like mine. But different when you rev it. I always love people footwear in these exhaust vids. in this case, bare feet lol
  18. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Are you reading any of what I'm saying? TYPE R MOTOR, from an ACURA INTEGRA, put two and two together you get a MOTOR SWAP, where did you see anything about a stock motor from a civic? I'm not talking about the car but the motor. Your tuning a eco motor hes tuning a race motor. You've maxed out all you can do on that motor without a Turbo, S/C and arent at even what his stock race motor is at. All I'm saying.
  19. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
  20. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    Jeez, it messes with my head when people have the emblem upsidedown lol.
  21. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
  22. Offline

SEIGE Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ZZE110
    I'm gonna take off the silencer this weekend just to see how it sounds haha & I'll make a video when the rain clears x)
    Added: Oct 5, 2011 3:36 AM
    I was gonna tilt it!!!! But the bottom part wouldve scraped on my driveway so I just asked for a slight tilt. -___- I like it tho.
  23. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    I was under the impression that you were talking about stock cars when you said " I would think a car built with the intention of racing in mind would definetly have more potential than a car built with economy in mind." , because my car isnt built for economy. And yeah, of course I know he has a motor swap. I'm beginning to wonder if you are reading what I'm saying. The 1zz isnt as eco as you think.lol And if I had a stick I could take off the limiter and have it tuned for those rpms as well. But who cares? I guess my comparison between the civic wasn't a very good one. I can admit that. All I wanted to show you guys were that the number were real. I wish I had a dyno sheet of when I was at 169.
  24. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    SURPRISE!!

[IMG][IMG]
    all thanks to hummerh2O
    SEIGE likes this.
  25. Offline

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I did call that too lol. But this is the part where you say I'm wrong and don't know anything. But anyway enjoy every speedbump knocking them out of alignment, or did you fix that hummer?
  26. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    I fixed them up a bit before putting them on and changed the lens for the headlights. They look OEM and don't move at all or shake. Just need to get them aligned correctly lol
  27. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    yeah that retro fit was pretty haggard, but im glad to see that you got them working properly. Are you gonna change the plastic lens too? Last I saw the drivers side was in horrible shape.
  28. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    I can't help but feel like I need to turn my head upside down lol. I see it done with Lexus as well.
    Added: Oct 5, 2011 2:47 PM
    Hey press, I saw your post on HIDplanet and replied about the alignment. You need to lower the one so that it matches the other! You are blinding everyone now LOL.
  29. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Yes! Lower that right side your gonna piss people off real quick!
    Added: Oct 5, 2011 3:09 PM
    The projectors never moved or wobbled around themselves only the headlight housing because the bolt that held them to my fender was broken off :( but even then it didnt affect me unless I went over some crazy bump or road.
    Added: Oct 5, 2011 3:13 PM
    :O Thats looks sick man! I miss my projectors now, I want em back! Lol. They look good on the car though, reminds me of exdream. Just get them aligned perfectly and youre all set.
    Added: Oct 5, 2011 3:14 PM
    Ive never seen that on a lexus, huh lol.
  30. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    haha, well I'm not looking for it or anything, but I walked past one of the new IS here in the city and it had the rear emblem upsidedown lol. I guess it works on Toyota and Lexus both because they have the same oval shape.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.