1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine *7A-FE Upgrades*

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by 94rolladx, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    *7A-FE Upgrades*

i was wondering what i could do to my 7A-FE to get some more power, i have a SRI and a RACTive exhaust, i know that turbo,spary,and supercharger are options but are there any others, and about how much HP would i gain from these mods

thanks
    -Jeremy
  2. Offline

killer2239 Lift at 5700rpm

Message Count:
    Your in the same boat im in buddy. You can do headers, upgrade spark plugs and wires, and just tune ups, but that is about it. Our cars with those mods do about 95-100 horsepower at the wheels. Shitty, not sure about torque, but its about 110 my guess is. The only way to really get more power without turbo, spray, or supercharger or swap is to do a 7AGE conversion. Its recommended to stay away, but im doing it over the winter with my dad. You gain the hp and reving of a 4AGE block, but keep your 7AFE torque. My guess is, after seeing toyotaspeed90's dyno of his 4AGE he has, the 7AGE i am doing will put about 110hp and 120torque at the wheels.Maybe more, depends if i do ems or fuel managment stuff like. Not a big gain, but noticible and brand new engine like cause it will be rebuilt engine while converted.
  3. Offline

SBM 007 Guest

Message Count:
    Say I don't know what exactly you are looking to do but if you have the money and time just about anything is possible. Depending if you want a show car, a go car or a combination of the two. Your budget dictates pretty much where you go. Although as stated we are in the same boat I have refused to take " NO MODS" for that car as an answer.

As you can see SBM 007
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, you also either own a shop, or did the work yourself, or just got lots of money to spend. You have tons done, but thats also turbo and spray, which anyone can do, hehe.

BTW: Nice ass car man.
  5. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    do the work yourself...... you can build whatever motor you want... either a hybrid 7age.. or just outright swap for a 4age...... i would consider one of the 2.... but if you want to do one of the 2, do some research and don't buy anything else for the car until you figure out what you want to do (because you may be buying stuff you don't need)

also.... if you just want to build the 7afe..... some 4afe pistons will raise compression, thinner headgasket will do the same as well.....
  6. Offline

SBM 007 Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the props killer2239. You are right anyone can do a turbo and spray but I realized that it had to be custom and that no one (yet) provided us with a tested kit and that still is true to date. That's for our model year cars now the Celicas, newer Corollas and the Matrix have a supercharger available. And by the way I don't own a shop or mechanically inclined I do know about my car because I have done the research. But I am in agreement with toyotaspeed90 map out a plan of action, again according to your budget and don't be cheap on the product. By that build parts for your car like DIY intakes or cheaply made products because the will not work or have the performance you are looking for.

If you have any questions I will be more than glad to answer them or at least point you in the right direction truthfully. I mean a lot of these guys on the forums tell you pieces of the entire situation and not the whole story or just think they know themselves. Not everybody but some.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah, i will 3rd that make a plan first. Right now im not doing any more mods to my car, well not much i can really do at the moment anyways, cause most is done. But before i buy anything else, its gotta be universial to any plans i got in mind. Do some research, or ask questions on here. Look at your budget and see what you can do for approx that much money. If you have 5000 dollars, then you can either turbo or do a swap. If you got 3000 dollars, you can do a rebuild and then some mods still.

If your looking for F/I or Spray i think your best person to ask is SBM just for the fact he has researched it and has done it already. If your wanting N/A, you can talk to several people here, if your wanting top end N/A performance, talk to the people that have rebuild their engines, bored, ect. ect.
  8. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    my buddy has plans for a 7agze for an ae86.... and to build a 7age for his wifes ae92
  9. Offline

nocpan New Member

Message Count:
    2 things you can do and they will serve you wheather you do turbo or supercharger setups would be bored throttle body, its $150 to do it but you have to dismantle your own and send it and then get it back and install it. But it should give you a bit of a chirp on the tires.

Recently i put on the ASP underdrive pulley, no its not the 8HP they claim it will give you, but so far my car works well with no noticable damage or drawbacks from the pulley and i have little more pull when I step on it, just a little more pickup. Pulley is only 100 bucks, belts for it another 24, install you can do it urself or pay 30 bucks for a mech to do it.
  10. Offline

ShalerPunk Guest

Message Count:
    has anyone tried to build a 7AGZE?
  11. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    well thanks alot of all the help guys, im not really sure what i want to do thus far but i am gonna do some research and make a game plan, thanks all, you have pointed me in the right direction
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    I dont think so here at least. You can try Club4ag.com. I plan to try a 7AGTE eventually. It may happen as early as summer of 2005, or later, depends if i get this better job in the next week or 2.