1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction 4agtze twincharged rebuild

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by shubert_ae102, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    4agtze twincharged rebuild

ok , today the car made a safe trip (around 200+miles) to me and my shop/garage/works/serves.its.purpose . in the first 30 minutes of having possesion of the vehicle , ive managed to remove the hood , the s/c intercooler piping , strut tower brace , ba-zillion zip ties:nono: , and the turbo. however , the camera batteries went dead in the middle of the carnage , so i will snap more pics tomarrow before i advance anymore. for now , here you go:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

holleywood , heres your internalsV
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

donar sc12 (btw brandon clutch is fine , cover was dented)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

4agze block awaiting monster toy shops "special sauce marinated" big port head and intake
    [IMG]

so far , till the camera died:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

the first oil thats ever been on my floor. this is out of the inside of the pipe going from the turbo to the intake , theres alot more than this in the turbo , i just happen to feel it running down my arm. when i say inside , i mean , in the the compressor:noes:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

ill have more pics of the turbo carnage , once i get out of school tomarrow.

ok , so heres the pics of the turbo as i promised , also youll see hear that the oil is not coming from the #1 cylinder , the manifold on the #1 cylinder is dry as a bone. however , the tube from the turbo to the intake , is slap full of oil , and there is oil in the down pipe. also , note the last pic, this is oil just draining out of the turbo compressor side alone , just sitting on my bench. rebuild anyone?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

ok , these are the pics of the DRY #1 cylinder primary , being dry.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

leaking weld #1 found

[IMG]

ok , now ; brandon your prabably gonna have to get another power steering line made , because the one that is on it now is siezed at the rack and pinion , and at the pump. im twisting the whole line at the rack and pinion , and i have broke the whole fitting loose at the pump. cant get a wrench on the bottom fitting at the pump , and the line at the pinion is siezed into the fitting. f*ck it , ill just pull the pump and leave it w/ the car.

other thatn that , all i lack on getting the motor out is the mounts , and the axles , and its out.

when i got there today , this is the progress i made last night.
    [IMG]

turbo manifold removed
    [IMG]

have the wires , harness , tach adapter , fuse box , and all other fuse box and links removed
    [IMG]

power steering resivor removed
    [IMG]

shift cables , fuel line , clutch line all removed
    [IMG]

ok , goin back to the shop , gonna put the car on stands , and get it ready to pull the axles.

there was actualy a catch can in place , but it was spotless :dunno: i think the turbo spooling into basically a brick wall (s/c) caused it too blow its own seals. its gotta be the seals , because the manifold is bone dry on all cylinders , but theres oil in the exhaust after the turbo , and oil in the compressor side , in the pipe to the intake manifold , and in the intake manifold.

anyway some more progress pics:

got it on stands and began the underbelly work , managed to get axles , down pipe , mid pipe , and rear engine mount.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

hmmm. got some gze axles :D
    [IMG]

my brother stoped by with the mobile boom box. he pulled the powersteering pump while i molested the axles.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

it waits for tomarrow. . . .
    [IMG]

ok , brandon , tomarrow ill be ripping out your dash and ish so i can get to the plugs on the ecu , then we should have it out at least by wednesday or thursday. the only thing holding the engine is the ecu plugs , the belt side motor mount and the tranny mount.

ok , im waiting on my brother to get back from atlanta to bring me my manifold chain. ive had the engine floating in the bay , but gotta have the mani chains to pluckit. pics , of progress:

p.s. this wiring is scary

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

AHEM "its time" the heart transplant has begun.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

ok , where to start?

well these pretty much explain the progress thus far:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

wiring harness removed:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

okay , the oil has made it as far as the s/c , when i cracked the boost plenum open on the s/c , this is what i found , and incredibly , this supercharger is easier spinning mechanically than the donar s/c. may have to do with all the oil in it:dunno:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

okay , danny , here is the first hurdle , im gonna need you assistance in . i need some nigganometry to get the top bolts of the s/c to mate with a big port intake. se what im saying:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

ok , i left the motor in this state when i left the shop tonight.

[IMG]

TABLE O' BOOST :rofl:

[IMG]
  2. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    you have a intresting looking garage.. kinda looks like the inside of a shipping container.
  3. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    its actually a 10x30 storage , dual entry. its usually where i keep my car , while prepping it for september , just enough room to do what i need to go. and i still havnt forgot about you trust me;) unfortunatly im being audited by the IRS , gotta wait till this all clears. still got it right?
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    np, no worries man..

10X30 storage? How much does that run? I've been thinking about purchasing a 20ft shipping container to keep the car in at the shop but that setup looks way better.
  5. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    $100 a month , and its powered. thanks btw.
  6. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    The storage I have (if anyone cares) is a 10X25 with code enterance all barbed wired up and sitting high (to avoid flooding) with electricity $70.00 a month.
  7. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    thats the way this one is , on a hill in a gated entry barbed fence w/ bullitproof , and cut proof locks (not that i need them)but its nice to have the security.

kryptic , is yours powered?

btw,
    alright , i got the cams out so i can get to the head bolts. they look good , so do the journals . i also got the headbolts out (i think my nose is bleeding) to only be 8 bolts they were a bitch!!! anyway , i didnt pull the head off yet , i wanna wait till i have the camera handy so you guys can see what i see , when i see it. im reluctant to see the #1 cylinder. stay posted.
  8. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    the oil on the s/c rotors probably allowed it to make more boost.....

I'm interested to see what's going on with the passenger side mount, since it looks like the stock mount was cut out....
  9. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:

no , its un bolted for ease of removal of the engine. the passenger side mount is a bolt in affair on the seventh gens. if you look at some of the other pics closely youll see it in there before the motor was plucked.

as for the oil , maybe , but it did make for a good smoke screen behind the car :D

well i figured out , an easy way to get the pulley , off , i just did a power stomp repetativly on the breaker bar. its off now. i think i had the motor spining at like 700 rpms :rofl:

heres some pics , thus far. #1 cylinder had some freeplay between the piston and the cylinder walls. #2 was getting close. #4 actually had a bit of water in on the piston , and on the cylinder wall. and moisture in the head. cylinder walls look good though.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

severe play , held my hand over the cylinder and made both compression and vacuum , and you can feel it leak down.

[IMG]

#3 cylinder on the head side , was the only one showing any type of high volume oil burnoff. these were on the exhaust side.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

water in #4 cylinder.

[IMG]

cylinders are in good shape.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

this makes me happy , notice the diameter on the back:D 14psi :cool: any larger and id have to find a smaller idler pulley :noes:

[IMG]

ok , peeps no oil in the cylinders , no real big signs of oil burnoff , not like it was smoking. so you know what that means? all the smoke was coming from the turbo slinging it into the supercharger , and the supercharger atomizing it and burning it with the fuel , plus the rear side seal on the turbo was leaking the oil down into the hot exhaust.

i do appreciate the donar block from the car owner , all it needs is a set of rings and its good to go. makes me a little less scared to run mine to its absolute limits.(where ever that is :rofl: ) im gonna throw some good after market lightweight dome top pistons in it ,good light weight rods and a set of acl rod bearings top it all off with arp hard ware. 20v , ITB's with stand offs , and a good set of cams gonna make a n/a motor out of it, around 11:0.1 or 11:5.1 compression something to throw in my ae86 coupe , till i get the hybrid im building done. hell , i might even buy a third a chassis car to put this in.
  10. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    that's a big pulley... possibly a blitz.... but if you don't plan to use it you could probably fetch a couple hundred on ebay for it....

the water is probably from pulling the head and residue falling..... the valves don't look shiny and steam cleaned enough for it to have been spraying water into the cylinder..... it's common for coolant to get all over when you pull the head.
  11. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    yep its a blitz , and the owner of the car has given it to me , hell no i aint selling it:D its going on my gze:D

did you see the post about the motor mount?

NEXT!!

alright i got the pulley off , nice , and thanks b. also thanks for the s/c i/c piping.

pulley

[IMG]

also got your new timing belt you just installed on the previous motor off too.

[IMG]

ok brandon , from what we were talking earlier about the rebuild kit , i found that your turbo has both style clamps.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

i also mocked up your radiator to where it will sit now , i still got to make mounts and stuff. i also have a fan to put on the back side of it. also got to find an elbow for the bottom hose , not a problem.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

ok i also flipped your intercooler around and mounted it like i was saying. that way the large side is the side that will maintain a constant pipe size to the intake, and the little side will maintain a constant pipe size between the turbo and the intercooler.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

doesnt stick out anymore than before

[IMG]
    [IMG]

btw , just wandering what did you hit ? i had to bend your cross bar that the i/c is now bolted to , back strait , your tow hook on the drivers side is folded under , and the part of the intercooler that was on the drivers side looked like this , but i fixed it before putting it back on.

[IMG]

okay b as far as the bumper , change of plans . do you have the oem front bumper? i played with the r34 bumper and its a lot of work , and will be hella fragile concerning what ill have to do with it. so. . . bring me or ship me your oem front bumper , and i will cut and paste the r34 parts into it seamlessly. well discuss the $50 if your gonna ship the oem bumper.

[IMG]
  12. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    *like smeagels*

master... yes we likes
  13. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
    NICE, I can't wait to see the finished product
  14. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
    me either. I'll post up the pics of the additional goodies

HKS 2.0mm headgasket
    [IMG]
    Greddy Profec Spec B Electronic Boost Controller
    [IMG]
    Techno Toy Tuning Adjustable Cam Gears
    [IMG]
    Oil Cooler/ Filter Relocation kit
    [IMG]
    AEM Fuel and Ignition Controller
    [IMG]
    AEM UEGO Controller
    [IMG]
    ARP Head Studs
    [IMG]
    JDM Power Folding Mirrors
    [IMG]

Still waiting on the Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, Tubular equal length manifold, and Toga HV Oil Pump. Will post pics of them as they arrive.
  15. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    btw , brandon , i believe your profec has a turbo timer built in. most did , ill have to pull out the instructions and check it out.
  16. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    lmk if u need a wiring diagram for the pwr folding mirrors.. I drew one up a few yrs back.

btw, why is the radiator support hacked up like that?
  18. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    sure man post that diagram for me , saves me an assload of headache.

Doctor Tweak hacked it for that 3000cfm metal blade fan to clear the support . he was the previous mechanic. if you look at some of the front end pics youll see the fan im talking about. its actually a nice highflow fan. now i gotta relocate it to the driverside , or put a low pro on the back side of the radiator to pull air through. i know on my car , when i removed the a/c condenser and evaporator coil i left the fan for the a/c in place and now have it on a switch for auxilary , other that the normal cooling fan on the back of the ae101 levin radiator.

the owner of the car wants to keep the a/c so i think im gonna throw him a donar fan on the back of his radiator ,that i have sitting around.

btw , toga HV oil pump has arrived:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    alright, i'll send you the diagrams sometimes next week because I left them at work.

Personally i'm ony running a 860CFM slim fan set up in front of my aluminum dual core radiator and I'm having no cooling problems at all. That 3000cfm seems a bit excessive but then again the weather over here stays at about 70deg year round and i'm not boosted.
  20. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    yeah , gets to about 100* down here in the dirty. plus brandon is retaining the a/c.
  21. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    instead of ordering a new pump couldn't you have just shimmed it?
  22. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    want the comfort of the new one . the HKS spring and shim is about $70 , this was $140 with a piece of mind.
  23. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    hell, I'd need that 3000cfm in PR, it's hot as balls here always
  24. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
    that TOGA oil pump will do you good i got the same toga pump on my car.
  25. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    que pasa?

nice of you to drop in pedro , what kind of pressures do you see?
  26. Offline

pnyk33 300whp 4afte

Message Count:
    between 20-80 psi
  27. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
  28. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
    Fedex showed up late last night with a package from NextGenTuning. Opened it up to find my Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, AN fittings and pressure gauge. IC piping should be here tomorrow and the rest of the FPR fittings and stainless braided line should be here Monday. Tubular manifold should ship out Monday and was promised I would recieve it by next Thursday.
    [IMG]
  29. Offline

kenAJUSA Member

Message Count:
    Man, I'm about to undertake a restoration project and looking at this, and the wires... already getting nervous. After the rebuild, how much more power/HP or smoother running do you expect?
  30. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    looking for 300-350hp under high boost about 250-270hp daily driven