1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 3sgte engine swap for a 2003 corolla S?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by RexPelagi, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Offline

damora Guest

Message Count:
    3sgte engine swap

ok so what i gather is it doesn't matter that the 3sgte celica engine is awd when you put it into a fwd corolla? why is that?

and a second thing the link total-boost.com it says included with the engine is the intercooler, hydraulic transmission, wiring harness, etc.. for 1200+ doesnt it?
    (checking if i understand what they are selling)

and my last question..are you guys sure this fits in a 2003+ corolla?
  2. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Yes, Im almost sure you can put an AWD engine in a FWD, and I think there is a RWD, and Im sure you can put that one in you just have to turn it 90 degrees.

RWD:
    []
    []
    []
    []
    FRONT OF CAR

FWD:
    [] [] [] []
    FRONT OF CAR

It fits in this European version of the corolla. Not sure what year this is, you might email them and see if you can find out. They also changed drivetrain to AWD, which is very important for the car since it has 443 BHP. Here is the link:
    http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsmain.htm
  3. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Yes it will work in an 03+ corolla..When I called toysport, they said they can do it..but it will cost an outrageous amount b/c they have to fabricate some parts to make it work..
  4. Offline

damora Guest

Message Count:
    3sgte swap

so it is possible..which is a plus

how much altogether was the cost for toysport to install + cost of engine and parts needed for installation.
    did the cost include changing transmission on your corolla so you can actually drive your car after the 3sgte put in?

i am very interested in this topic brought up, if it is possible and cost less then about 10k. i will seriously consider doing it.

i just have questions over parts around the engine like th ecu chip i have in now and the one id need to run the engine
    Or the fact it seems to me id have to change out a lot of stock parts to aftermarkets ones simply because factory parts wont beable to take it.
  5. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    I got a quote of about 7000-10000 for install + engine from some shop in Florida. Thats the price for a corolla with a stick mind you, It costs more to fit a automatic with the pedal, cluth, etc. The main thing is that you are going to have ALOT of hp at the front wheels, and if you mod the engine traction is going to be about 0. If your going for speed that might be something to consider: 200+ hp at the wheels. New tires are a must I would say. AWD conversion maybe? Thats got to be only another 10000-15000 lol
  6. Offline

damora Guest

Message Count:
    lol

yeah thats an idea..awd conversion lol....with all that money i might as well sell my corolla by an impreza and put an wrx engine into it.

i had a friend that swapped his '92 civic hatchback engine and tranny for about 7k
    And he had same problems about mounting points and such so im kinda hoping i could get something around 10k

but if i could get a 3sgte into a fwd corolla that would be great
  7. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Well you can, Im just wondering how much traction you will get.
  8. Offline

damora Guest

Message Count:
    oh no doubt, i understand where your coming from..that engine puts out a lot of power.
    i totally expect loss of traction if i gun it.
    but even with loss of traction, my car still will be fast
    and hey i would have bragging rights

lol
  9. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Sounds like a plan to me.
  10. Offline

BLADDER_MASTER Active Member

Message Count:
    Damn...i've been gone for a while and I missed out on some of the action.

IMO, I don't think it's worth swapping in the 2ZZ with the XS turbo kit. Sure, you'll have 260HP, but with the 3S you'll be able to do it as well, for cheap, and be hitting 260HP reliably compared to the 2ZZ with the high compression ratio which could blow at any moment.

Traction issues are going to be a problem of course. One suggestion would be to tie in the 3S-GTE with the MR2 LSD tranny. Another would be to do your races from a roll.
  11. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    In retrospect I dont think it would be that big of a deal. I saw a civic with 600 hp, and it ran 11 sec 1/4 mile. So you can go fast, its just that if the civic had 600hp and some more traction, i think it would be sub 10's.
  12. Offline

damora Guest

Message Count:
    i agree bladder master, i think we are on the same page
    i was thinking of 2zz but that is last resort...way in the back in my mind
    i was reading up on the corollas that www.fensport.co.uk did and the 3rd one which is fwd took the mr2 lsd tranny to reduce traction loss..so that sounds like a plan

i need to start lookin around my town for a shop that will do this type of engine swap
    plus id like a ball park figure before i purchase anything
  13. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ya finding a tuner shop, espically in Alaska, that can do the swap would be a challenge(at least i think so). I found one place relatively close to me but its still 3 hrs away. Thats not too bad though, now all I need is 10000. However this creates an interesting question in my mind: Wouldn't it just be easier to by an RX-7 FC, S13, or a 86 Trueno and fix it up instead?
  14. Offline

damora Guest

Message Count:
    well actually finding a shop up here is a challege but the recent years of import popularity and the rising ricer image here (a quarter of the population here is korean or filipino and a majority of alaskas population is from lower 48 mostly california it seems, so really anchorage is more like a little california) we actually have a few shops to choose from and i know a couple do lots of engine swaps (mostly civics---go figure lol)

but this swap is a little different so it adds difficulty and becomes more pricey
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    Um, if you want your Corolla to drift, I suggest instead you get one of those cars above. If you just want a fast Corolla then go right ahead. But theres always other alternatives. Like you could get a GSX and fix that up. It'll be easier and cheaper. The only problem is the reliability. It all depends on what you want and what you're willing to sacrifice.
  16. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    What would I be sacrificing with a trueno, s13, or FC3S?
  17. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ok you guys haven't been saying much on this post so I figured Id ask how you guys are doing with this. Some of you seemed interested so I just wondered if any of you were in the process of obtaining or finding the engine?
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Good question. I've been meaning to know as well.