1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 3sgte engine swap for a 2003 corolla S?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by RexPelagi, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Offline

BLADDER_MASTER Active Member

Message Count:
    They actually came from the 94-99 models. Those were the 6th gen models. The 93 models were the 5th gens which ran from 90-93. And yeah I heard something about those regulations but nothing specific.
  2. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    You can edit posts? If you can then I must have started to reply before you posted that I dont think I missed it. Ty for the info, I guess IL is closer then FL.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    I could edit my own posts. I suggest you check this site out:

http://forum.teamphatrides.net/

One of the guys there is planning on doing a 3S-GTE swap on his Celica and he knows a shop in Columbus that is going to do it for him. You could try to get in contact with him to find out where this shop is at. He goes under the name of: ChewDogg
  4. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Hey one more concern that I need to bring up..Since I live in Cali and this state sux as far as...well everything, lol *venting*, I have to make sure that these JDM engines will pass smog..anyone know if they do or not? Im gonna call some places and find out.
  5. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    I would think that calling some official or somethingthing would be the best idea. That way you can find out for sure.
  6. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Agreed
  7. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    One more thing, is the 3sgte on the celica version fwd or rwd? I know the mr2 one is rwd.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    I forgot to tell you that if you were to swap in a JDM 3S-GTE, it won't pass emissions tests. Something about that since it doesn't have EGR, it won't pass. I would have to guess that you would need to try to get a USDM 3S-GTE.

And the 3S-GTE in the Celica's wasn't FWD or RWD. It was AWD. Which is why they were called All-Trac.
  9. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    So is that going to require fabrication of parts, b/c it is all-trac going into a fwd vehicle?
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Not really. You see the thing is, the 3S-GTE basically just drop's in. So no fabrication. The only fabrication would be the mounting points. So don't worry about the engine. You could still get a MR2 engine, which is RWD, and still drop it as FWD. The point is how the engine is positioned. FWD cars have the engine going from left to right. RWD has engine going top to bottom. Observe:

[IMG]

What we have pictured there is an engine bay of a Supra. Of course the car is RWD, notice how the engine is positioned going from top to bottom. From what I understand, the engines of RWD cars are positioned like that.

[IMG]

Now that was Rainmakers engine bay pic. Sorry for using it without your permission. Notice how the engine is positioned from left to right. FWD engines are positioned that way.

So in conclusion, depending on the position of how the engine is place, also depends on the what wheels are powered, meaning FWD or RWD.
  11. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Gotcha...Makes sense. Guess my only concern is smog at this point...its a b*$&# finding a USDM 3s-gte. Of course with those comes less power, and higher price tag..Im thinking of still getting the JDM version and saying screw it to smog. I have another full year before I have to get it done, maybe by then I can figure something out. But come february, I will be buying this 3s-gte engine...BTW, is anyone able to find dimensions of the 3s-gte, so that way I can know how much room Im dealing with compare to the setup right now. Thx
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Ok, from what I gathered from the MR2 forums, in order to pass the emissions tests with the JDM engine, you would need to get a shop to install a EGR and you would need to also install a second catalytic convertor.
  13. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    CorollaS916 were you thinking about doing this before I started this post, or did you like the idea of swapping engines once you heard about it.
  14. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Well I was looking to do an engine swap a while ago, but for the specific 3sgte motor, that is a direct result of this post. I was looking at a 2zzge motor swap, but gave up after not finding a single one.

Okay, that would work...I think in a year I could do that..Or just pay some guy 70 bux or so to pass me, heard that happens a lot under the table.
  15. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Okay, the update I have is I called Toysport, and they quoted me 1250 plus 350 s&h for the 3sgte from a mr2turbo...complete w/ everything needed to install..a better price then i found on the other website..im waiting on their install cost.
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    Crap, that's right. I forgot to mention Toysport as well. They do many custom swaps. Didn't know it was close by to you
  17. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah Im glad I called them. They're about 6-7 hrs south of me, but close enough for a 3-4 day stay while its being worked on. I thought they would be more money, but they told me they could get a complete rear clip JDM spec from a 92 mr2turbo....and at that price, about 200.00 cheaper than the other one I was looking at, it was hard to beat...now Im waiting for a response to see how much they are gonna rape, uhhmmm I mean charge me for install of the motor and tranny. More updates to follow.
  18. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    if you really want to spend some serious money, you could swap an A250 turbine into the car. That has about 325hp / 425lbs torque. I wanted to do that swap with my mustang, but it costs wayy to much. But, it actually would fit in the engine compartment.

These people have an awesome bike with this engine:
    http://www.marineturbine.com/
  19. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ya I thought my 7000-10000 wuote seemed a little high.
  20. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Well shockingly enough, they quoted me 5500 for install :shock: :shock: ...I almost laughed. that would bring the total up to about 7000-7500 with engine purchase. I am calling around to some other places.
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    Whoa! :shock: I thought it was going to be more.
  22. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Well no sense in me buying the engine when I dont currently have enough money to put it in..so Im saving up some serious cash to get it installed.
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    Cool. So in other words, if anyone wants to have a 3S-GTE swapped into their Corolla, they would have to end up paying up to $8,000 with Toysport. Cool. Anyone else interested? :lol:
  24. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I know the 3sgte can go to 500 horsepower, but how do you get that to the ground. Without AWD there is not much point in going that high?
  25. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    CorollasBest wrote
    Well one of the earlier pages I posted a link to a corolla that they made AWD. How much can it be to make a car use two more wheels? lol anyone cana we get a price quote? Id have to guess 7000-10000 but I really dont know.
  26. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    now, i know that the 3S-GTE is a badass engine...but seriously, for 5K-7K, you could swap a 2ZZ-GE with a 6 speed manual, and then probably add on the XS-engeneering turbo kit. Or if you wanted to keep your current engine, you could do soo much to it, probably get it up to well over 250 hp at the wheels, and have ur tranny stregnthened while ur at it. (Granted its not 500 hp, but i'd start to worry about the chassis at that point... and i suppose it would be pretty awsome to see a 3S in a corolla :))
  27. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    Well I am just looking at my options now...I can forge the current engine and put a turbo on it, that'll get me around 260hp at the wheel, or I could swap a 2zzge engine (but I dont like the high rev just to get the most power, not to mention the low torque). Just gotta figure out which is the best way to go about doin it.
  28. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    It's your choice, but the 2ZZ with a turbo makes about 260 at the wheels without forging. I'm not sure how high it could go without special fuel. 105+
  29. Offline

CorollaS916 Guest

Message Count:
    The other problem is, I have been looking for a 2zzge engine w/ 6sp tranny, anyone know where I can find one? I cant find one from an 00+ celica anywhere.
  30. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Well I think when searching for it you might try 2zz-ge, if you're not already. Also, I think the fact you can't find one might be a benefit of the 3sgte. There seem to be alot around, and you can always find one or two nice ones on ebay.