1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

1ZZ-FE R.I.P ( xxx damn turbo! @#$%@)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barnacules, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    dude... what do you know about blowing ass?
  2. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    EVERY THING... ok back on topic... dude.. thats no fun... and after all those problem syou were having installing her... and this is how she repays you... damn I'd kick her...
  3. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    I have kicked her, more then a couple of times. That turbo experience was complete ass but the end product let me feel the potential of my car for the first time. So I love the car and I'm going to get back on the wagon once I re-coop a little income.
  4. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    Sorry ive been away but I have had a turboed corolla just as long as vortex (I think he beat me by a little) but it was right around the same time... still in the same motor...

well over 35K turboed miles on the same motor... it now has 71K or so miles...

If you didnt have the car dyno tuned and were gunning it then my bet us the tuning... but what caused thsi was either a previous problem you didnt know about or the tune.... and itd have to be either way tooo lean or ignition timing way off...

vortex gave a few scenarios where it would occur..
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah it was as far from lean as it gets :) My A/F ratio guage read full rich 90% of the time unless my foot was completely off the gas engine braking down a hill :D plus the white wet smoke blowing out the back with fuel smell was another good indicator. But yea something bad went wrong and now I gotta build a new motor. But Vortex has some parts I can pick up off him to start my rebuild but I need to figure out if I want money wrench to build me a motor or if I want to do it myself.
  6. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    I'm no F/I expert...but shouldn't the A/F ratio reading and the white smoke given you a clue something was wrong? :confused:
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    No :) White smoke indicates a rich condition and so did the guage. Rich is good, not for performance but it lessons the chance of detonation. This was not the cause of the engine failure, if anything it probably made it last as long as it did. More then likly something went wrong on the engine management side of things.
  8. Offline

pupo New Member

Message Count:
    Sorry to heard that you blew you engine, but if you were getting white smoke that is oil that you are burning, when you are burning fuel the smoke is more black than white.
    Did you have to add oil to your engine frecuenly?

I am turboed and I hope I don't have your luck, I have been runnig at 9psi for almost 6 month now. Hope you can rebuild soon, and good luck next time!
  9. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Actually white smoke is water ;)

Barnacules, sorry to hear about the Corollaboom.

Do you have a wide-band or narrow-band 02 sensor?

-Doc
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    narrow band, the car didn't live long enough for me to get a wide band for it :D This next time around I'm going to have to get one so I can tune it properly.
  11. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    ^^^ if you were reading anywhere near stoich on a narrowband, you were too rich.

i'm barely at stoich on my mr2, and black smoke pours from the exhaust at full throttle....

sounds like you were too lean!

also... if i were you I would watch the lynnwood/tacoma pullaparts closely... longblocks only go for $150 there
  12. Offline

oppositesleeper New Member

Message Count:
    was it the tsi turbo kit? and have you contacted tsi about it since they say its safe under 8psi on stock internals. i have to admit im planning on putting a turbo on my 1zz and no matter what you say it puts those butterflys in my stomach cuz there is no way i can afford a new engine, although im planning on running only 4-5 psi cuz i wanna be hella safe :)
  13. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    Sucks man, but this is why you take your time and do things slowly.

Reason why I am not yet boosted still need my Big Bore Kit and internals and turbo, already have a new motor just need the money.
  14. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Narrow-band is only going to tell you if you're stiometric, or on the rich or lean side of it. Since the rich side could still be plenty lean for a turbo (13.5-14:1), you could easily have been lean without even knowing it. No doubt the cause of the problem.

I know you were running the emanage, but what exactly does TSI give you for fuel management? And what size injectors were you running?

-Doc
  15. Offline

oppositesleeper New Member

Message Count:
    another question, how long total have you been boosted?
  16. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    You may have been lean or maybe clogged cat??

But white smoke I dont think thats fuel... however if you didnt have a wideband you have no idea if you were rich... like dr tweak said our narrow band sensor probably thinks 13.7 is rich (because the aim for a little leaner than 14.7 i heard for best gas mileage and emmissions)

So you may have been rich.... your timing may have been off as well...

Tuning is the MOST important part of the turbo.... if your gonna rebuild dont put it on the street until it is tuned....
  17. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    white smoke is *NOT* fuel. *BLACK* smoke is fuel. White smoke is usually a good sign of blowby which means your rings (ie your motor) is going. Oil burning will show as a white/blue - however that usually comes with a nice stench that you can smell all over. If you were blowin white smoke, your motor was well on its way out around the time this starting rearing its head.
  18. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    definately either burning oil or coolant.
  19. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Just curious, you *did* take off the hose running from the throttle body to the front of the valve cover didn't you? (not the PCV valve, but the vent)
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm running 550cc injectors and the eManage is all I have for engine management.

Yeah I did, we did a good install man, it took 3 weeks and a lot of time and effort was taken to install the turbo perfectly. It was probably just a lean condition that lead to detonation because I didn't have a narrowband to tune properly.

Less then 1000 miles and a little over a month.
  21. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    So why go through with a 3 week install and then not tune it? I dont understand that logic. That ranks much higher than installing a body kit and then waiting a year to paint it.
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    Yeah I was puffing white smoke so maybe the engine was just tired and screwed up to begin with and the turbo just pushed it over a cliff. I did drive the car like an NHRA dragster from the day I purchased it brand new :) But this next time around I'm going to build the engine to take a beating.

The only reason I don't think I was running lean was because I took the spark plugs out each week and they were foweled all to hell, completely black. If I was running lean they would have been white like they were before I ran the turbo.

Seriously I'm thinking it was a tuning problem. I won't know for sure until I tear the motor down and see what exatly happened, if that is at all possible to determine. You'll be fine just make sure your tuned properly because I ran a Celica GT map of the same year in my car and compensated for the 550cc injectors with the eManage and then my engine blew inside of 1000 miles but it ran like the top the whole time. I didn't hear any detonation or anything, but maybe the emanage had a loose wire or crashed or something while I was driving and that nuked my timing for an instant and my motor went by by. But its anyones guess at this point. I'm going to look forward now and see if I can't locate a new motor for this bad boy and get it back on the road but it may take me some time because I blew a lot of money on this car and now I have to wait. I was going to get it dyno tuned next month and the reason I put it off was because the place would not touch my car unless I welded an o2 bung on my down pipe and the only way to get my down pipe off after the install was to remove a ton of crap out of the engine bay and take the exhaust manifold off because of accessibility issues. This next time around I'm going to make sure everything is in place so the dyno shop will be able to tune the car as soon as I finish putting it back togather. At any rate don't let this discourage it. A few corolla have blown there motors but even more have gone the distance without problems.
  23. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    and white smoke is NOT blowby from the rings.... water never reaches the pistons. If you have blowby through the rings then you have oil getting into the combustion chamber, and you will be smoking BLUE smoke.

if he had white smoke there's a good chance he had a blown headgasket (ie, a tracer between a coolant passage and the combustion chamber)

was the turbo brand new? was there any play in it?
  24. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  25. Offline

pmarte New Member

Message Count:
    Glad you weren't injured...coulda been worse:sad:
  26. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    that sucks dude. could it been cuz you have vvt-i and vortex doesnt that makes his timing off? also when you rebuild, go all out and bore it out to 2.0 liter!
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    Thats actually a great idea, when I start rebuilding I find someone that can bore it out. I'll probably have the engine professionally built. But in the mean time today I picked up my Wife a 2002 Lexus RX 300 so now I can use her 2003 Toyota Tacoma as my daily driver until the Corolla is back on its feet.

Hell yeah, I don't even like to imagine what could have gone wrong because what did :) I mean the whole car could have caught fire and burst into flames. That would have really sucked. Or some of that shrapnel could have came though the floor boards or something. ****. I guess realistically I'm kind of lucky.

Turbo was a brand new Garret GT25R, absolutly 0 play.
  28. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    i would say that your HG gave before anything else then......
  29. Offline

igorien2k New Member

Message Count:
    for all u guys who are so scared to blow an engine figure this - a used engine with 7k on it goes for around $600 on car-part.com. and you can probably have Dr. Tweak install it for u for $300 if you dont have a crane so thats a totally new engine in your car for around $1k if you figure in shipping. You'll probably spend more money on your turbo setup then you will on all your blown motors in the lifetime of your car.
  30. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Just that simple huh

If ya do it all right the first time, ya wont have to worry about blowing an engine