1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 1984 Ee80 Corolla Swap Possibility

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by ahmadjkre, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Offline

ahmadjkre New Member

Message Count:
    1984 Ee80 Corolla Swap Possibility

Hi guys,
    need some advice from expert like you all.tried to find a thread similar to this but didnt see any(maybe coz my ride too old).TQ in advance for your advice.
    Ok,my other ride is 1984 EE80 COROLLA(currently drive SV21 Camry 2.0),
    I'm not sure what they call in the US but here in Australia AE80(my corolla is in malaysia gotta stay in Australia for 2 yrs).
    I've been thinking of having a new engine since it's already 24yo(still doing well anyway-travel 1000++ km a week).
    I know that a lot of people swap it into 4AFE and sometimes blacktop.but in this age of no more cheap petrol swapping into 15yo engine not so brilliant idea I guess.
    So I've come across this newer,economical 3ZZFE or 1ZZFE vvti, but never heard anybody tried it before.So the question I need to ask you guys is,is it possible to have it in my 84 corolla engine bay and if it possible is it a straight forward job(I mean like putting 4AF into it)?Plz advice.TQ

Attached Files:

2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    probably need custom engine mounts and half axles. The 4afe and 4ag are actually more reliable enignes than the 1ZZ... even if they are 20 years old.
  3. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    why bother swapping a 1zz and going through all that mess and money,when silver or black top is already a good motor to begin with.
  4. Offline

ahmadjkre New Member

Message Count:
    hmmm...
    Score:-
    4AF/4AG=2
    ZZ=0

Totally agree with the reliability of 4AFE...and simplicity too
  5. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I agree with the power and reliability of the 4AGE, but after talking with my friend who owns one in his AE86, it does have it's downfalls too. It's a very loud motor and will attract cops. It's noise levels are so loud that they are unbearable as a street driver. The silver and black top in particular are far above the dB levels of a street motor. The red and blue tops are within sound levels, but have considerably less power. I'm not talking about exhaust loudness. Engine loudness in particular. It's also not as fuel efficient as the 1ZZFE. My friend is running a blue top pushing around 125 hp which nets him around 23-25 mpg. My 1ZZFE is pushing around 135 hp and netting 31 mpg. However, the powerbands of both cars are very different. The blue top 4AGE pulls very hard at 4-7k RPM. Enough to overtake my car. I haven't gone to the track to confirm this, but riding in his car really gives that feeling. It's about compromise. You trade off streetability and economy for power and performance.

However, the 4AFE is an entirely different story as well. It is more like the 1ZZFE in terms of noise levels and streetability and mpg.

In my friend's case, the AE86 is completely gutted with no sound deadening. He's thinking of adding lighter sound deadening to block some of the engine sound levels. It's really loud(5-7k RPMs). It really screams and draws looks from everyone on the road or bystanders on the street. It's even pretty loud just driving normally without a heavy foot. I've experienced this first hand. I can't even imagine how loud a silver or black top would be pushing 30-40 hp higher than the blue top.
  6. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    The 4age isnt that loud. I know people with them. His is probably loud because he is running open ITB's or something. Regardless it says you currently have an E series engine. Why not swap in a 4EFTE out of a starlet?
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Actually, he doesn't have ITBs. He has a normal cone filter intake. Have you heard them when you really push the gas? It's loud. :)
  8. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    I know a guy with a 20v but hes got a huge hks exhaust and TRD cams so his is loud but its still not obnoxious.
  9. Offline

TE31Rolla The Monster

Message Count:
    The 4AGE motors are not loud at all, it all depends on how heavy your right foot is and if its heavy. Then yea the motor will be screaming, but I can drive around all day long in any of the 4AG powered cars in my driveway and not get looked at all or even get attention from the police. Its your buddies driving habits and the fact that he has a stripped interior which is making it seem really loud, but a good exhaust system can quiet down a motor very well and keeping your right foot light.

As for the gas mileage, again it goes back to driving habits. Be easy on the car and you will get really great mpg, but open it up from light to light and it wont.;)
  10. Offline

ahmadjkre New Member

Message Count:
    As in my case I didnt consider FTE/GZE since I wanna be it as an absolutely everyday car like I told b4(1000km++ a week),so fuel economy and reliability is my priority.

Is it right guys that 4AGE is better than 4AFe in term of long distance travel(drive it for outstation 2-3 times a week)?
  11. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Mine isn't that loud. Actually it's even quieter than the 1ZZ at idle because 4AGE's are belt driven.
  12. Offline

Rolla95 Rollin' Out y0

Message Count:
    theres no need to be at 5-7k rpms on the street, if you drive normal shouldnt have a problem with exhaust noise...my honda is loud also from 5-7600k rpms but i dont have problems with cops on the road cuz i also shift at 3-3500k
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I'll tell him to drive conservatively and see what happens. :) I know he won't want to.
  14. Offline

ahmadjkre New Member

Message Count:
    update...
    bought a AE101 4AFE last year(FEB) when come back from Australia..(Sold the camry for 600 buck the day b4 fly back).love it as always to toyota.
    Now already 3 months with 20V...wish I had done it long ago..love the power of 20V.
  15. Offline

bennyboi9 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    wow another Australian! or at least.. malaysian living in Australia. Location?
  16. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Got any pics of it?
  17. Offline

ahmadjkre New Member

Message Count:
    bennyboi9,
    it's been a year since i finish my short stint in OZ.It was melbourne.
    this is my ride when I was there for 2 years.
    SV21 3SFE CAMRY
    [IMG]

This baby I bought Feb last year- 1995 AE101
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

my daily ride...it just insanely unbreakable

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Those wheels are freakin sexy on that car IMO
  19. Offline

ahmadjkre New Member

Message Count:
    i heard it a lot from others too..beside the 'unbrakable' thing, that the only next best thing she ever had.