1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction 05 toyota corolla..Turbo thoughts..

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by coltron, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    05 toyota corolla..Turbo thoughts..

Hey i was wondering what you guys think about putting a turbo/inter cooler kit in my 05 toyota corolla... Im not sure if its worth it or not so im just looking for thoughts and ideas... And if i would need to re-build up my motor stronger?

thanks guys.
  2. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Well our 1zzfe's can hold some good psi on stock internals and just a fuel pump/injector upgrade. Are you AUTO or 5 spd? Cause if auto you might want to look into a tranny cooler and maybe parts to reinforce it cause auto transmissions are kinda weak for boost in our cars. Where do you live? Here in Colorado I know I can run up to 14 psi maximum on stock internals with fuel pump or injector upgrade and I think I've heard around 8-9 max at sea level safely (don't take my word on that sea level spec, just heard). It all depends on what you want to do man and what kind of power you're looking to get out of the set up. Check out www.9thgencorolla.com dude, they have a super sticky there in the 1zz-fe engine and transmission sub-forums with all kinds of information about turbo or supercharging.
  3. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    wow thanks man, And it would probably be all stock internals and like keep it max 9 psi or w.e i dont want to push it to much where i blow it up or something.. But where would i go to buy stronger pistons and rods/etc to handle more boost? Also it's a 5 speed i only drive standard vehicles lol...

EDIT: Sorry i actually live in Canada :p
  4. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Word man, anything to help. Only place I know that specialized on all our engines and transmissions for aftermarket support is www.monkeywrenchracing.com
  5. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    Oh okay thanks, yah i was looking at that website last night and i have a few questions..

Seeing as the turbo replaces the exhaust manifold what dose the super charger remove?

Im wondering because i just bought the DC sport header and now if i go and turbo my car down the road then ill have to get rid of it correct? Anyway around that?

Also, whats the best sort of set up (turbo size) (psi pressure) To run on a stock 1zz?
  6. Offline

Rolla sumone say 1zz?

Message Count:
    the turbo will replace the header..so yea..the dc header will be of no use to u...

no more than 5-6 Turbo psi on stock internals...MAYBE 7...but...ehh...
  7. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    What dose the supercharger do? if i got that could i keep my header?
  8. Offline

Rolla sumone say 1zz?

Message Count:
    you'll have to look online to see if sumone is selling a used one, as trd/toyota discontinued them a few years back.
  9. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    o... lol so i guess it's pretty much turbo.. or non lol.. hummmmm thanks for the info, sucks cause i just got that header.. i might have to wait a while anyways though.. thanks again.
  10. Offline

Rolla sumone say 1zz?

Message Count:
  11. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    But if i was to do a turbo setup, you think i could only get 6 pounds of boost in stock internals with under 90,000km on my motor?
  12. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    A supercharger also is a form of forced induction but adds power evenly throughout the power band. However, it doesn't add as much. A turbocharger will add more power at the top, but not much on the low, therefore making your powerband spike.

9thgencorolla.com is having a group buy. 2850 for a set, so it's not quite discontinued.
  13. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    Remember too if you want to go turbo, all the other stuff you're going to need to upgrade too. It's not just, slap a turbo and intercooler on and go for the gold.
  14. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    Yeah i understand sorta what you mean, im just not sure what all i would need aswell, Like Bigger injectors and fuel rail probably, bov, wastegate... not really sure what else..
  15. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    New oil pan tapped for an oil line for the turbo, engine management system (this is KEY so don't get cheap on it cause they are expensive! and well we all know that you get what you pay for), boost controller, turbo timer (or you can sit on your car for about a minute or two and let the oil cool down before turning car of so you don't blow your turbo), heavier duty clutch, fuel pump, fuel injectors, exhaust system... There's probably more but those are the ones top off my head. Turbo projects can get expensive real quick FO SHO!
  16. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    Hmmm alrighty.. What all is required for a s/c setup? They seem more expensive than a turbo/icooler setup... I've never dealt with a s/c so i have no idea what to expect etc..
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    The supercharger will replace your intake manifold, while letting you keep your existing header. The supercharger has a pulley on it to drive the induction process, so expect your accessory belt to be longer. TRD already has the fuel management down since it's part of the kit. You can still run an intercooler, but that's extra for you to figure out. You can also upgrade to a higher boost pulley.
  18. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    Alright.. So super charger might be the way to go.. How much can a s/c push for boost like say i was to beef up the internals down the road... And whats safe on s/c motor for stock internals..
  19. Offline

normality78 New Member

Message Count:
    what is the max boost can TRD s/c hold safely? able to get me 200hp on crank?
  20. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    The TRD S/C will probably get you close to about 180-190 max on the normal pulley (not sure what the PSI rating is for this maybe 5-7 psi max) but not sure about the bigger one. I haven't heard great gains from the S/C for as much as the set up costs.
  21. Offline

coltron Coltron Design

Message Count:
    Hmmm well that seems pointless to me then, because if your limited and yet it still costs as much as a turbo? doesn't make much sense..
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    The power is very stable. You have power (aka torque) gains all throughout the band. It's great for everyday street driving. Do some research on both setups and you'll see what I mean.
  23. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Which is why most people go with turbo set ups but well it all depends on each driver's tastes.... A lot of supercharged owners love their set up cause it fits their power needs and such. I drove a supercharged one and though it makes the car move nicely but it wasn't too impressive for that much money (just my opinion, not saying it sucks) which is why I'm doing turbo set up on my 04.

Yea a lot of people like the power it gives out, maybe with a nice dyno tune and some other add ons should push over 200whp. I know there's a lot of articles out there that skim down all the differences and pros and cons of the turbo and supercharged set up. Here's the one from 9thgen:

http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34808
  24. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    if your looking for any 9gen turbo stuff turbokits.com has it all
  25. Offline

Rolla sumone say 1zz?

Message Count:
    im pushing 11 psi and MAYBE hitting 165 to the wheels...MAYBE.

only one person has seen close to 180 with a s/c.
  26. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Wow only a 60 hp increase for over 2 grand? Man to me just isn't worth it lol, MORE POWAH! lol.... With a turbo you'll be close if not over the 200hp mark at like 7-8 psi

EDIT: Here is a video of a 9thgen S/C'd dyno'd at 177whp

27. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Agreed. Too much cost, not enough benefit. If it were up to me, I would've traded the car up for an 2005-2006 XRS instead. Much better starting point. Those things dyno @ 150+whp in stock form. With a few minor bolt ons and properly tuned using an Apexi PFC, it's not uncommon to see 180whp. All while remaining naturally aspirated.
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    You can supercharge the 2ZZ as well. Blitz makes a wicked kit. And yes, it pushes closer to 300hp. Aftermarket charges always make way more than a factory option power adder.
  29. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:

Missing something. Vortexx is only running 8 pounds I think and he's got to be getting way more horse than that out of it. 60 horse gain on 11 psi doesn't make mathmatical sense unless you're missing cylinders or have it tuned so poorly you're flooding out air and not getting any fuel.
  30. Offline

crb530 Member

Message Count:
    the 2zz if built right car push over 500hp but it would cost ten grand to do it all you need is cams stroker kit and turbo you can make it push close to 300 na