1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

05 S or XRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rjy87, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    JC and Tampa you both guys are doing Corolla owners proud. Putting a good name for Corollas and shedding the myth that Corollas are boring, slow and that it should be a laughing stock. You both should be on the same side. So stop fighting...LOL
  2. Offline

Laz Z Kay "n00B, be kind"

Message Count:
    What is that anyway??

I had a 00 VE w/ 3spd AT, it sucks really bad. But now, I have a 05 XRS, i would definitly recommend this car.

Just my 2 cent
  3. Offline

Laz Z Kay "n00B, be kind"

Message Count:
    It sure does. lol
  4. Offline

System Error Guest

Message Count:
    the srt-4 is overrated IMO. They come stock running a lot of boost. Put the same amount of boost on a 1zz and you'll blow it away I think. The 1zz is better for modding in my opinion, the 2zz has better out of the box performance with some weak ass torque....... 180 hp and 130 tq is not impressive. HP isn't all that matters. And an auto 2zz.....SLOW. Stock, a 1zz 5-speed is faster than a 2zz auto.
  5. Offline

LowRolla Will work for turbo

Message Count:
    i think this decision all depends on whether you're planning on heavily modding the engine. if you want quick performance and plan on staying stock - the XRS is the only way to go. If you want to do, say, forced induction - the 1zzfe is a better choice because the 11.5:1 CR of the 2zz is not gonna like FI for very long and will cost much much more to beef it up to handle said boost.

However, price-wise? They're asking $20-23k around here for the xrs - the srt4 is only $21-24k... sure the corolla LOOKS a lot better, but cannot even be compared in performance for your dollar.
  6. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    XRS is available only with the 6 speed manual transmission. SRT-4 will outpower a stock XRS ( SRT-4 0-60: 5.9 secs XRS 0-60: 7 secs), but SRT-4 will lose $10000 in the first 3 months you buy it. XRS will lose only $3000 after the full year of driving and 24,000 KM of driving (15000 miles) and give you an average of 30 miles per gallon. Where else will you get a deal like this??
  7. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    The 2ZZ is never mated to the an auto tranny anymore ( except the Celica GT-S, but no one buys it). The torque does not matter much since the XRS has a low curb weight and you achieve the maximum torque at only 4400 rpms ( it is even lighter than some old sport compacts like Integra GS-R by over a 100 pounds) and insane power in the first 3 gears.

8. Offline

PsyVash Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah but to say this is a stupid question is unfair. It's simple. You should get the S if you are planning to...

A. Have a commuter car. Something that can get you to point A to point B and is great on gas.

or

B. You want a boosted rolla. Everyone knows it is easier to boost a 1zz than a 2zz, and for the price you would pay for the XRS upgrade, you can start saving for a custom turbo kit.

If you want out-of-the-box speed. Something you don't really want to mod heavily, then you should get the XRS instead.
  9. Offline

PsyVash Guest

Message Count:
    But never taking the the XRS passed 4K rpm kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it. :p
  10. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i'll take either one since i need a new car... but i would prefer XRS over S... when u think about the XRS over the S u got a lot extras that extra little price... u get engine 2ZZ-GE which cost even more to swap into an 03+, u get sportier suspension than stock, a so called strut bar, bigger rims, nicer seats, 6 speed tranny, etc... fuel economy imo is bs bcuz it all depends who the driver is.... if a driver drives a S harsh flooring it all the time and a driver drives a XRS never go past 4K rpm to shift the XRS is definitely gonna save more gas...
  11. Offline

System Error Guest

Message Count:

Yeah I know...I was talking about the celica
  12. Offline

Bishop4695 New Member

Message Count:
    I am not at all a fan of the Pre-03 Corolla at all...no dis, jus no diffrent from anything else I've seen. I've never seen an XRS for over 19k... almost bought one at 17,500. Someone is getting jipped. 05 S's go for around 15k in Cali. I would definantly prefer the WRX for the 2k more like "jspexae". I love my 04, everytime I think I want to trade it in for something more powerful I think of how much of a Sexy B!*#@ it is. What the potential it has... be contempt with what you have. all in all.
  13. Offline

CLe Guest

Message Count:
    id get a 02 corolla S and drop a XRS motor on it...that is if money permits
  14. Offline

gotarheels03 New Member

Message Count:
  15. Offline

mtxjohn New Member

Message Count:
  16. Offline

nriesen Guest

Message Count:
    all this talk of 05 XRS, did you know that Toyota Dealers currently have 06 Corollas in stock?
    If any of you are serious...get off your ass and buy the 05 before they are gone.
    There are financing rates on the 05s....and that is all for incentives. If anyone is in the Midwest, and want a deal on an 05 Silver XRS, gimme a call, I only have one left.
    608-215-7467
  17. Offline

TRD04 Guest

Message Count:
    2005-06 XRS ~18600 or
    2006 Civic SI ~20950 approx or
    2006 Acura RSXs ~23700.

This is the dilema that I am having.

But if you can afford it, I would definately go for the XRS.
  18. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    XRS man don't even think it twice... I'm getting a black 06' here in a couple of days
  19. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    Definitely the '97 Previa All-Trac.

The ballot was confusing!

j/k

XRS. If you're going to get a Corolla S just to modify it, you might as well get a Corolla LE and modify it, and then have a great sleeper (assuming you don't "modify" it with lame graphics or body kits.) Leave it stock, or do lame mods to that Corolla S, then the "S" on the back just shows it's pretending to be a sports car.
  20. Offline

corollarider19 New Member

Message Count:
    they didnt make the xrs for long
  21. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I don't like the post 02 either... too bubble-like and too tall. But would hafta choose the XRS over the S if i had to get an 05. Why not swap a 2zzfe into the 98-02! Corolla XRS or maybe GTS again? Its too expensive to do though.
  22. Offline

DjiNN New Member

Message Count:
    I am looking into the XRS and man ... i am drooling all over this corolla ... im thinking about trading in my 01 rolla for this XRS .. 2005 .. there are places around me selling it for 15K .. my trade in price is about 5k .. which would have me paying off 10K .. =X but this car is veryyy SEXY ...... No one around where i live has a XRS everyone has a CE or LE .. AND THE S .. if i get it it will DEF stand out ..
  23. Offline

hachirokusupra XRS FTW

Message Count:
    ha hell yeh man its definetly worth the trade ^_^ LIFT
  24. Offline

corollasport.com Guest

Message Count:
    Xrs Is A Little Over Priced Ithink
  25. Offline

Eric Keely Guest

Message Count:
    I love Corollas and I own a 96 Corolla manual. I've put some performance mods on it, and I really love it. But I just wish I had more power. Now that we have the XRS, I could get that power. I wish I could get an XRS, but I don't have the money, but I am about to graduate college, so I should be able to afford one soon. Plus it's also one of the rarest Corollas out there now. So get the XRS and give the Civic a run for it's money. Or better yet, wait for the new Corolla to come out, supposedly they are going to make a coupe version with 200 HP to replace Celica GTS, but I haven't heard any new news on this, I really hope Toyota doesn't disappoint me with their next Corolla.
  26. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    sorry to disappoint you but from what i've been reading on other toyota forums (japanese) from my understanding, the next corolla is just going to a newer body style, same power, a newer engine with dual vvti and possibly super cvt with better gas mileage and better emissions. it will respond better than the current corolla but not a huge difference.

On top of that, Toyota officially announced they will not be producing any more sports cars and they have officially discontinued all sports cars (celica, mr-s, supra). They will still make concept models that could be next celica, supra, 2000GT, etc. but only concepts. Most of that conecpt technology will go into Lexus Luxury Sports cars. I know Toyota has recently entered Nascar but according to toyota, that doesnt mean they are going to produce toyota race parts for regular cars.

Also TRD Japan is pretty much shut down, TRD USA is barely surviving with TRD OFFROAD truck parts but sales for TRD has been really bad (according to my friend who was laid off by TRD last year).

So with that said, What i'm seeing with Toyota right now is they will be focusing more on hybrid technology and hopefully around 2009 or 2010, Toyota will come back with hybrid tuning. Then i'm sure concepts like the Volta and other hybrid super cars will come about.
  27. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    The xrs isn't really all that great. I would rather get the celica instead. The platform wasn't really designed to handle that motor in the first place. They just had a surplus of 2zz's so they used them up in Corollas and Matrices.
  28. Offline

Eric Keely Guest

Message Count:
    Sigh, that sucks...
  29. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    XRS easily, but if given the choice, I would rather have a 2000-2002 Celica GT-S it would be a better platform as parts are plenty
  30. Offline

OCDetails Guest

Message Count:
    Time to resurrect a thread that has been brought back from the dead plenty of times before me.

The S has more modification potential, as has already been stated, but if you aren't planning on paying this much for a car simply to spend thousands of dollars above and beyond that to modifiy it, then the XRS is a great car bone stock. If you have ten grand to dump into a car and you want a good platform to start with, then I wouldn't even be looking at the Corollas. Go get a Supra and choke some real power out of the motor. However, at this point you can pick up an '05 XRS for about 14K, which is very affordable. I just bought mine out the door for $15K flat, so if you are looking for a great looking car that doesn't need any modifications to be fun, then the XRS is one of the better cars out there right now. If you have other needs like the need to modify or all wheel drive or something, then obviously there are other options. For this size of car it was the best choice for me. The insurance isn't an issue either. My insurance went up a whole $35 bucks a month when I added this car to my policy. Sure I'm 31 and married with a clean driving record, but it really isn't that expensive if you are single and under 25 either.