1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

05 S or XRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rjy87, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    I'm not agress with you about RPM, maybe you right on the Torque and weight cause i dislike it, cause i test drive it sux ass.... so i concluding it sux.
    I test drive one i rpm sky high although is faster, but it's not you only feel around 6200, trust me man, after you drive S with TRD CAI and tip Muffler, you will feel different :p
  2. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    7000 Fuel Cut dude, if not, you might have no Govern stuff in your ECU cause in Tampa every XRS does fuel cut at 7000rpm I try eachone of them in Dealer!@
  3. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    to proven higher Rpm and miss shift destory transmittion and engine!!!! that is why they do fuel Cut, all Toyota do is swap GTS Engine in to XRS, by the way good news who owns 1ZZFE, C-one in Japan are developement a lift kit for us next year, but kind of expensive... :p
  4. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Don't friggin just for the sake of arguing. You really need to get your head fixed. Use your common sense for a second. Why is the fuel cut off at 7000 RPm while the redline starts at 8300 rpm???? Show me one car where you have a redline starting a 1000 RPM after the fuel cutuff. Redline starts at 8300 RPM and fuel cut off is at 8500 RPM. I know my stuff and I know what I am talking.
  5. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    by the way S/C only 20 to 22 on manual , the one you said it is auto.
  6. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    dude, can you understand my point, Red line starting 8300, but fuel cut at 7000!!!!!!!! that is why i say sux , why i can't rap higher!@!@ you have to trust me man. i did test drove one and my friend too WE both Concluding it!@!@ man............ let wait and ask peoples who drive XRS, not just you for this.
  7. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    I revved it yesterday at 8200 RPM like I said before. I do not need any second opinions. I know I am right and you are wrong ( even if it means the Corolla you drove had something wrong in it).
  8. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    Dude no offense, Corolla XRS kick ass cause it have a high RPM Engine in Z Family with 6 speeds. but Only thing it sux, at the 7000 fuel cut, rest of the car are rock got my point, althought it's expensive than base model but if they fix that fuel cut it is a good car and fair price.
  9. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    that is all i can tell you, i test drove it, the fact is show me fuel cut... i guess something wrong with that shit, i did respect the car, i say sux is about the car is about the fuel cut not the car.. if there is one without fuel cut at 7000 i will be happy to vote for XRS for the first buy opinion.
  10. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    No man. It is just a matter of something completely inaccurate. You sound very confident about it when it is simply not true. I know the 2ZZ GE engine history and specs very well. Let alone I was driving it yesterday and then salesguy I was driving it with had an XRS himself. Myself and him, both of us kept the revs above 8000 RPM several times because of the tall gearing. I am not being offended at all. It is just that you are saying something unheard of. Read any review (i,e car and driver, newcar test drive etc.) some of them are even saying that the lift actually starts at 7000 RPM ( since you feel it at 7000 RPM because of the broad torque band). The lowest fuel cut off is in the 1st generation 2ZZ GE ( found in the Celica GT-S) which has a fuel cut off at 8100 RPM and the redline starts at 7800 RPM. Think about it. Rev limiter can never be placed below the red line. It is just not possible. The fuel cut off happens a few 100 rpms after the rev limiter so it is around 8500 RPM.
  11. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    no idea... I have to find out, however i would like to drive one without fuel cut so low, i guess i give one more test drive again. :p by the way, XRS you can't Swap the Seat cause there is Sensor under the chair.. :p check it out :p
  12. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, the seat thing, you might be correct, but I have way more than ample proof that the XRS has the fuel cut off at 8500 RPM. The biggest thing is my personal experience. Toyota nailed it big time in this car ( whether people realize it or not). This car is everything the 2 ZZ GE should be about. People complained that the redline (7800 RPM) is too low in the Celica GT-S and the gearing is too short to keep the lift going from gear to gear. XRS has a much higher redline and the gearing is tall so it is very easy to keep the lift going while doing upshifts. People complained the the Celica Gt-S has no guts below 6000 RPM because the peak torque happens at 6800 RPM. Toyota even fixed that in the second generation 2ZZ for XRS. The Corolla XRS achieves nearly the same torque as the GT-S at a full 2000 RPM earlier at 4400 RPM. This car is a riot.
  13. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    nice.... i wondering what is that new lift kit going to done to our little 1zzfe :p
  14. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Your car is supecharged man. What do you need to worry about?? But, no the 1ZZ FE is not going to have a lift kit or anything since 1ZZ and 2ZZ are completely different engine. Heck, they don't even sound the same. Part of the reason was that the 2ZZ GE was developed because of Toyota's collaboration with Yamaha since Yamaha develops motorcycle engines and knows very well how to pack a lot of power ( 100 HP per liter of discplacement) in a tiny engine so they shared their expertise with Toyota on how to do it. A company like Honda does not need any collaboration like that since they are originally a motorcycle company and know how to pack 100 HP per liter of discplacement (say, in RSX Type S).

Here is a cut out from car and driver magazine review for you:

Of course, the engine and six-speed-transmission module also shares the usual Toyota 2ZZ testing conundrum, where it drops off the high-lift cam at every upshift, forcing the engine to rev back up to the 6000-rpm (or thereabouts) switch point before starting the frenetic burst of energy that will carry it to its 8300-rpm redline and the next gear. (Honda gear ratios keep the hot cam on the job throughout redline acceleration runs.)
  15. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    hehhe you are wrong on complete different engine, they both are 1.8L engine with same body displacement , the only different is engine head and piston base are bigger than 1zz and have a extract new cam with smoother thing on it forgot what is call...all i can tell you i have been told by my friend who is working in C-One in Japan tell me they are making the 1zz to lift, naming project 1ZZGE or 1ZZGTE , the kit will be out next year.... Well I don't know what is going to do, but We will see when it is out.
  16. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    how could the insurance be the same????? the difference between my dads wrx and an sti is insane. the civic to the civic si is totally different. and the rsx to the type s is the same way. how could the corolla to the corolla xrs be the same.
  17. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Believe it or not. I would be lying if I told you it was even $10 more. That's the way it is.
  18. Offline

JCturbo 9THGEN GURU

Message Count:
    I dunno where you guys shop, but I paid $18500, with dealer installed 17's, in So Cal, and I've never seen an SRT4 for less than $22,000 sticker. lets not even mention what they get for a WRX
  19. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    insurance premiums vary from place to place. but i'm surprised it would be the same for the xrs and s
  20. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Well, Toyota did develop both engines separately. 1ZZ is a completely Toyota engine and the 2ZZ GE is a Toyota/Yamaha engine. But, yes they must be sharing components. The XRS is as smooth as silk like a luxury car even when it is revving over 8000 RPM whereas, my 1ZZ does vibrate as the revs climb to 6000 RPM, but that could be a model year refinement thing as well since mine is 04 and the new one's ar 05s.
  21. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    no idea, you know MR-S are using 1zzFE engine, can rpm to 7000 :p all the engine can go high rpm, depend where is the max to go, you don't want to damage, i read about 1zz engine can go 7800 rpm max, with Lift you might go 9000, not sure i will ask my friend for you. :p
  22. Offline

VTEC-KILLER Guest

Message Count:
    I HAVE A CHIPPED ecu in my 2001 Corollla that has no rev limit, and i taken the engine to 8000 RPM a few times, but its scary. when i race i always shift at 7500 thats the sweet spot for this engine. IMO
  23. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    I know a Toyota Celica GT-S that can rev upto 9000 RPM with the 2ZZ GE engine because of an altered rev limiter. It is impossible to do in the 1ZZ FE since the engine will blow up. The connecting rod will be the first one to go.
  24. Offline

JCturbo 9THGEN GURU

Message Count:
    ok, Tampa is a just a straight pisser @ moaner. Obviously he test drove the XRS while coolant temp was still below 60degrees, cause fuel cut. I'll race an S anytime, anywhere, I've shutdown an RSX, SI, and SE-R. Plus TRD's little pump doesn't give you better gear ratios to go with it.
  25. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Chill JC. No big deal. He has a supercharger in his S so that means he's got more torque available in first gear than the XRS, but the peak power is the same in both. We ( me and the sales dude) were able to hang at the back of a porsche yesterday in an XRS ( he downshifted to third and the needle raced to 8000 RPM) when he tried his best to lose us and make us eat his dust, but surprisingly the XRS was glued to the ground even when we did a corner at 90 KM/H with a little chirp.
  26. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    i'm not a big fan of the post 02 rollas as well...i drove the xrs on sat night just 4 fun and i hate the fact u need 2 wait like 10 min and warm the engine be4 u can hit redline or close to it.....and they need 2 put reverse where it belongs next to 6th gear and not 1st....but i'd take a XRS over a stock S.
  27. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    well its the same gear box as the celcia gts and i bet it has the stupid reverse buzzer.
  28. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    No it is not the same. It has been mentioned at a lot of places as well. The gearing is a lot taller on the Corolla XRS. Hence, less frantic shifting is required in the XRS and it stay in the lift powerband a lot longer than the Celica GT-S.
  29. Offline

GTxSTATUS Guest

Message Count:
    XRS!! thats like asking, would you get a lexus over a pinto... haha well not really but yea :p :)
  30. Offline

Tampacorolla New Member

Message Count:
    WTF , I don't go Staright line! I just test drove one, i don't know you have to warm up, just dispoint it when i try to rpm to 8000 but fuel cut.... Now I know what happen. JC no Offense, I don't want to race you with my S/C and all I mod in to that 04 S. "Cause i'm not Street racer" . Just give opinion around , stop piss off.. ^^