1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

01 Prizm/Corolla consuming too much oil!

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by GSE21tuner, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    hmmm... I don't have that problem on my 98. Do a compression test. You may have bad/burnt rings.
  2. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    01 Prizm/Corolla consuming too much oil!

I got this 01 Prizm, and it is drinking oil like a fish! I found out its a major defect, and I was hoping to find a solution to fix this thing...
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Jasper is not an engine. It's just the company that provides rebuilt motors. And it should be the same 1ZZFE motor the car came with so I think its worth it unless you want to swap in some other motor like the 2ZZGE Celica GTS motor with full tranny. If you can find a 5 spd manual tranny for the 1ZZFE then you can swap it.
  4. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Two questions:

Which motor would go better with the current chassis?
    Do they make 5 speed trannys for 1ZZFE engines?

(I'm confused when you said "If you can find a 5 speed....". Did you mean they are made but are hard to find, or they are not made at all).
  5. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    1zz will go in easily so if you want something easy, that will be the way to go. 2zz you will probably need some modifying and fabricated parts done so it may take long and be more expensive. talk with your mechanic about it. 2zz of course will be a more powerful engine. Read about the engine differenceshere or you can also search on wikipedia and find out that way too.

Yes. Depending on where you live, it maybe harder to find a 5speed tranny but they do make it and so your only problem is if you can get your hands on one in the time that you want.

Also last advice is find out whether your mechanic has done an engine/tranny swap before. I know many mechanics where i live who claim they can do it but really cant. They have done it on older american cars but doesnt necessarily mean they can do it on your car. I mean i'm sure they can but it may take longer. With that in mind, if they have never done a 1zz to a 2zz swap, iwould probably not recommend putting in a 2zz. it may take them a really really long time or might not do it right.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Just to add to Drunksaru's comments, if you want the cheapest option just replace the motor and nothing else. Finding, buying, and installing a 5 spd transmission is going to cost you a lot more. Swapping a 2ZZGE with a 6 speed transmission would cost around 8k.
  7. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Currently I'm in Indiana and I don't think it would be difficult to find a 5 spd tranny here or atleast in the neighboring states. Coming to the mechanic, he is good and has done engine swaps before. His shop is always busy and he's well known for his work around here, so I don't know if I should actually worry about it or trust his work. One more question I have is will the Jasper replacement have vvt-i tech too??
  8. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    My mechanic had added some dye in my engine oil to see if it is leaking. Turns out its actually burning the oil and not leaking. Since my car has 137K on it, he suggests getting a new Jasper engine for $4800 with a 3 year 75K miles warranty, or rebuild the engine which is coming close to $3700. What should I consider??
  9. Offline

cgreen38 Common sense, p

Message Count:
    New engine.
  10. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Is this Jasper engine good and will it be worth? Also, if I do replace it, will I be able to convert to 5 speed manual instead of this dumb 3 speed auto????
  11. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    No replies yet, maybe I'm asking dumb questions. How about the price (coming close to 5K including labor) ? Does it look legit?
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    It's called vvti. No tech. I'm assuming that the 01 model corresponds to the same time the 01 corollas were made, so your car originally has vvti. There is no way I know if the rebuilt motor is vvti or not. What year is the replacement motor? 98-00 is non-vvti. 01-02 is vvti.
  13. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Its vtec and those are only exclusively on Honda motors. Toyota's only have vvti and vvtl-i. vvtl-i is the only one comparable with Honda's vtec. vvti does shit for power. Its mostly for emissions.
  15. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  17. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I've got 138K on it right now and I'm planning to get a new engine at 150K ( If I save up by then ). My only trouble now is that I wanted to go with a full 5 speed tranny with the new egine, and I found out that Jasper dosen't make those for a Prizm, eventhough there is a model that has a 5 speed tranny on it. Does anyone know if there is someother brand that would fit and not cause compatibility issues?
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Just find a corolla 1ZZFE 5 speed transmission. There are no brands associated with it other than Toyota.
  19. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    A Prism is a rebadged Corolla so yes.
  21. Offline

eddy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Any recommendations where to start looking for it? I know that jasper has a couple for Toyota, but I'm not sure which one would fit, the CE/LE/S ??
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I wouldn't go through rebuild companies like Jasper. I've actually never heard of them. I would go to the local junkyards and ask if they have any or know of any places that might have them. Also try ebay. I've seen a few before.
  23. Offline

SBUBandit New Member

Message Count:
    Jasper is a pretty big name, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part. Hell, they even sponsor a few Nascar teams. you don't necessarily even have to get the motor and the trans from the same place at the same time. If i were doing the same rebuild, instead of the huge hassle that switching to a 5 speed would be, I don't think it'd be as bad to switch to the 4 speed auto. they offered 3 and 4 speed autos. I have a 3 two, and it really winds up by the time you get to highway speeds. you'd probably just have to switch the ECU as well so it knows it has a 4th gear.
  24. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    hell, if it still drives keep the old engine or sell it and buy a better car.