1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Z22-GE No compression!!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by DrunkSaru, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    i'm assuming the car doesn't get any power at all now? can you still drive the car? you said no coolant in the engine, did your dash indicate the engine overheating? what did the computer diagnostic say?
  2. Offline

Tointon Guest

Message Count:
    Z22-GE No compression!!

I was doing 70mph (in the UK) and engine power died.
    I could with only slight pressure on the throttle keep the engine going but any more than slight pressure and a sort of ticking/clicking noise came from the engine.

The car's been taken to Toyota and they told me there was no coolant in the engine and no compression.
    Diagnosed as a blown head gasket and a full engine replacement was the only answer.

THE QUOTE!!! £6705 (about $13000) new engine fitted!!

This was abviously NOT an option.

Luckily my dad runs a rally school and has someone that can look at the engine.
    He's opened the engine to find No blown head gasket, No scored/scratched bores or pistons, No damage to the valves.
    No water in the oil, Basically NO visible damage.

We were expecting to find the engine would be shot and i'd have to find a 2nd hand replacement.
    But now, we're not sure where to go with it!!

Any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated!!
  3. Offline

igorien2k New Member

Message Count:
    your valves probably hit the piston and got chipped/bent. Do you get no compression on all 4 cylinders? If that is the case then your cam gears probably skipped a few teeth causing incorrect valve timing.
  4. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    so you see no physical damage to the piston or the valves, the gasket is good to go, engine looks fine but will not start? humm. I'm assuming you've already checked the sparks and injectors too. NO check engine light? when you try to start the engine, does it turn on but turns right off or at least making some type of sound or the ignition won't even start and is like starting a car with a dead battery? any sign of fluid leaks anywhere other than you knowing the coolant is gone? i know that many water pumps go faulty on the US based ZZ engines. I've replaced it on two of my cars. Thats all i can think of unless you even have a problem with your fuel pump or something.

man, this is weird. I had a similar experience with a friend in a ford but that had a rebuilt engine and tranny done not by mfr so in the end, we found that it was a faulty ecu and once that was changed, all of a sudden the check engine light came on and there were about 14 different codes but the car ran. but then again, this probably won't work in your situation. ahh.. i have no clue. sorry man
  5. Offline

Tointon Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the replies!!

Once the car had stopped it wouldn't start again.

The dealership has assured me they've compression tested all 4 cylinders and none had any compression!!

The dash temp gauge kept flicking up and down so I checked the water and it didn't seem to take any. Maybe an airlock or something. Ultimately I did cook the engine!!

Not sure if the car was hooked up to the computer diagnostic! I'm contacting the dealership tomorrow to see if they did.

There's no damage to the top of the pistons or the valves and the cams are chain driven so would need a real nudge to skip, but i was doing a constant, fairly slow speed, and there's no damage to the teeth or chain!

As you can see, it's a mystery!!! Missing my car Big Time!!
  6. Offline

igorien2k New Member

Message Count:
    i think your best bet would be a used engine. it can be bought for *relatively* cheap
  7. Offline

Tointon Guest

Message Count:
    Turns out the head is warped!!
    Still seems strange that there's no physical signs of this but I've been told that 12 thou needs skimming to get it right again!!

Does anyone how much can be skimmed before it will cause issues with vavles hitting pistons etc??