1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Yet another question for the computer gurus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PsyVash, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Offline

PsyVash Guest

Message Count:
    Yet another question for the computer gurus

K. I have a 60gb Western Digital (WD800) 7200 RPM internal hard drive that I'm looking at making an external hard drive. What tips would you give for buying an enclosure? I was looking at firewire but not everyone I know has a firewire card (they need to get with the times). Anyone suggest any good USB2/Firewire combo enclosures?
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I have a generic usb2 enclosure that seems to work. ME-320U2 It doesn't seem that fast, but seems to keep my desktop drive busy. Ran me $40 at the local computer shop. ADS makes the same thing, but they want around $80 for it. Mine had a cooling fan and worked with a hard drive or cd/dvd drive.
  3. Offline

Loone Guest

Message Count:
    I bought two external usb enclosures for my hard drives and i see no reason to spend any money on these at all. Spent like 23 a peice on mine and havent had any problem with them been using them solid for about 8 months now. So my opinion go for the cheapest you can find that dont have reviews of catching on fire. Also i dont know if i'd waste the money on firewire unless your planning on doing a lot of transfers and arent just using your external for storage purposes. I use them just to hold all the stuff that i dont use often or need to take to people's house. Everything else just stays in my computer.