1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine XRS TRD air filter or what?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Franck2zz, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Offline

Franck2zz Guest

Message Count:
    XRS TRD air filter or what?

Hello i have a Corolla XRS with the 2zz engine and i want to know if this is best to put a cold air intake or keep the factory one with a less restrictive air filter like the Trd one or k&n? Ive read that on the civic type r with the k20a, the best was to keep the factory one with an air filter. Also ive read that if you remove the air box on a civic with the b16a they lost some power. Thank you for any help`:)
  2. Offline

m120004 VTEC Killer

Message Count:
    Las Vegas, Nevada/Olongapo City Philippines
    re:

It actually depends on what rpm range you mostly drive on, if you drive violently
    and want high RPM power you might want to get short ram and great to also add a working hood scoop for more air and sound.

If you want to have mid to mid high RPM power get the cold air intake but be careful when you drive on floody roads its gonna kill your engine in a second, i live in Las Vegas and my friend drove his rolla on a dip and 4got that his rolla is 2" lowered and the dip is flooded his 1ZZ engine died in an instant we have to swap the engine bcoz his car is more 35,000 miles. It's your choice although CAI gives you better gas mileage.

and if your on a budget and wants good sound and better performance...
    you might want to go to Toyota and buy a TRD filter and cleaner for $82
    gives you 10 more hp and 3 lb. ft. torque. just take off the hose on the intake
    for SRI like tone.

SRI 13 more hp & 8 torque
    CAI 18 more hp & 10-12 ft. lbs torque
    TRD filter with modified box 10 hp and 3-5 torque.
  3. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    How did you get these numbers? Are you talking about a 300hp car?
  4. Offline

m120004 VTEC Killer

Message Count:
    Las Vegas, Nevada/Olongapo City Philippines
    re:

<br />
    <br />
    Im not really sure about those numbers i just saw it in <a href="http://www.ptuning.com" target="_blank">www.ptuning.com</a> thats what they put for the CAI and SRI and for the TRD filter my had his car dyno tested a few times theres a big difference with<br />
    the TRD performance filter and the TRD muffler.