1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine XRS Transmission Swap

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Blk03Corolla, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    XRS Transmission Swap

Has anyone thought about doing this. I would love to have six gears on my car. I hate how long second and third are and think I would be able to do a lot more with the gear ratios. Maybe not even the Corolla XRS but maybe off a celica gts. I dont know if their gear ratios are different at all? Would assume so but I dont know. So have any of you put any thought into that or what would have to be done... and how much of course?
  2. Offline

SERG4U Guest

Message Count:
    I heard someone from vvti did a swap from a GTS.....I think he has a 98 corolla.........for some reason shyguy comes to mind
  3. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    I think I remember Rick (Raamaudio) from MO.com saying that the 5spd tranny is more durable than the 6spd.

With your mods and hp, I would stick with the durability!
  4. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:

thats what i read too that 5 speed is more durable and can withstand more power or something...and yea serg. it is supershyguy on vvti.net ..he has a jdm 2zz-ge swap with 6 speed
  5. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    Yah shyguy has a gt-s motor :) Nice corolla. 8)
  6. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    i think the gts tranny and the xrs tranny are the same, just have slightly differently tuned engines

anyway i think ud be better off just getting new gears, i think i saw some on monkeywrenchracing but i dunno if they'd suit ur needs or not
  7. Offline

APC_MATRIX_ Guest

Message Count:
    It would work but as Purple said, the 5 speed is stronger. If you really wanted to take 400HP and have 6 gears, they are making a tranny that costs $3K but will take that power all day long over at newcelica.org :wink: