1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

XENON HID......I need some FACTS!

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by special_ahs, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Offline

special_ahs Guest

Message Count:
    XENON HID......I need some FACTS!

I know that many have asked the same question. I just need a straight foward answer to these question to clear up some confusion.

1) Factory standard wattage for head lamps for Corolla 2003 is....what?
    2) I will need to upgrad my harness if the wattage of my HID is greater than......what?
    I guess what I am asking is how much of wattage my factory harness can tolerate.
    I want to install super white bulb, but not new harnesses. (no money at this time)

At the ebay, they were selling bulbs with 50W ~ 100W. Which one does not require new harnesses?
  2. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    Re: XENON HID......I need some FACTS!

here is some detail on HID's not the HID look alike bulbs. as of 8/15 retrofit kits have been banned for sale in the US and the only place you will find them is ebay but those kits are no good for several reasons. the only option you have is to get a retrofit projector kit sort of like the ones www.illusion-lighting.com sells. all HID kits even the retrofit ones come with their own harnesses and dont require any harness upgrade. the bulb wattage is 35 watts compared to 55w for low or 65 watts for high. the only change you will need to make is that you will need to get either a 30 amp fuse if you have 1 fuse for both headlamps or two individual 20 amp fuses which is the case with the 03 corolla. hope this helps. if you have more questions, ask and i'll try to answer them for you.
  3. Offline

special_ahs Guest

Message Count:
    Anyone with 55W~65W HID on orginal factory relay?

Did it blew out your wiring?

I heard that these wattages are tolerable.....
  4. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Real HIDs don't work that way...the bulbs are AFTER the step-up transformer and electronics, so you can't compare what a HID setup would draw off your harness to what just bulbs alone would draw. I believe they're setup to use your stock harness just to switch them on and off, they get their actual juice straight from hooking to the battery.

A 35 watt real HID bulb will be FAR bright enough. A 65 watter would be good for cops to use on their helicopters!
  5. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Think of HID like fluorescent tubes. A 40 watt fluorescent tube puts put much more light than a 40 watt incandescent bulb. The two technologies have some parallels to each other in terms of automotive lighting. True HID's do not have ANY kind of filament (as opposed to halogen/"xenon" bulbs). About 20000 volts is what excites the gas mixture in an HID capsule (or 40000 for a fluorescent tube). The color of the light that one perceives come from either a mixture of gases and/or the coating on the outside of the bulb.

A 65w true HID bulb would probably melt your reflector housing and may even start a small fire in your engine bay...
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    very well said, all HID's come in 35 watts, go to www.hidforum.com and check that out, they will have more answers.
  7. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Not true... HID's for different applications come in capsules as small as 10w (for HID bicycle lights) and I've seen as high as 65w for overhead lighting... that's all HID technology.

I would agree with your statement about 35w capsules in automotive headlamps..

Hmmm... wonder who led you to HID forum? :D
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    i meant for automotoive applications. acturally i joined actively after your recomendation, i was there a while ago, cuz some one recomended me to there and the place where i bought my HID's from.