1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Would you guys purchase a Impreza 2.5 RS over a Corolla S?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffptrsn, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    Would you guys purchase a Impreza 2.5 RS over a Corolla S?

I have test driven both cars and like both of them.

Help!!
  2. Offline

dns637 Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Would you guys purchase a Impreza 2.5 RS over a Corolla

COME ON MAN!!! YOU'RE COMPARING A SARDINE TO A STEAK...
    OF COURSE I WOULD IF I'M FINANCIALLY FITTED....!!!
  3. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Subaru definitly. My friend had a WRX, he liked it alot. He still would have it but he traded in and got a supra (hes in High school btw).
  4. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    The car would not be a WRX, it would be a 2.5 RS. (165-hp & 165 lb. ft of torque & AWD)
  5. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Would you guys purchase a Impreza 2.5 RS over a Corolla

It's not a WRX that I am considering. The 2.5 RS would cost me $19,275 out the door. :D
  6. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Do you live in a snowy climate? Definitely, if you do. I drove an older Impreza RS and found that it had fairly snappy acceleration. I'm not sure about the new ones though. One tip. Find a good independent mechanic. Breakdowns, out of warranty, aren't cheap.

Performance aside, I would choose the Subie over a Corolla, just based on the quality of the seats alone. Not to mention that the Impreza has AWD performance. For $19-$20k, you might consider a XRS.
  7. Offline

downey180 Guest

Message Count:
    ive heard that by turboing the 2.5RS, you get better gains than with a stock WRX. i dont know how accurate this info is, but it came from someone that used to work with suburus.
  8. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    Nope for the snowy climate. I live in the S.F. Bay Area. It was raining like cats and dogs here today and the salesman told me to accelerate faster through a U-turn shaped on-ramp to get on the freeway. The car simply kicked ass doing about 75 mph in pouring, flooded rain. :shock:

I will be buying a Automatic next time around, so the XRS is out of the question.
  9. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Untrue... You would spend $1000's more trying to increase the efficiency of the base engine. Why not start out with a WRX or an STi and try performance mods beyond that. M2 Performance, located in SF, made a WRX monster (before the body redesign) with 320 hp that was capable of 12.9 ET's for about $13k over the base price...
  10. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    I can relate with the AWD... I've never owned a Subie, but I've had Audis prior...

For $19-20k you should consider other cars such as the RSX (or other pocket-racers). There are many cars that compete in this price class that are competitively priced around $20k.

Heck, for that price you could get an Accord LX - which would be infinitely better than the Corolla (as far as sedans go).
  11. Offline

SquirrelMaster New Member

Message Count:
    i would just take a wrx for about 4-5 grand more than the rs
  12. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    I have a 6 year old son and a wife so..the RSX won't do even though I already have a CR-V as well as my Sentra.
    As for the Honda Accord LX, I have grown so tired of owning Honda's and Nissan's it's time for something different.
  13. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Why not a RSX? You already have two kid haulers...

Have you grown tired of well-built cars? :wink: Every person that I know that has owned some kind of Honda product, whether Acura or Honda, really hasn't had many complaints.

If you're looking for something different, you could wait for the new VW Golf V (fifth generation platform). I can probably promise that it'll come with a comprehensive list of standard features, probably including side, front and curtain airbags, as well as ABS and traction control. I'm sure that in-dash navigation will be an option as well as HID's.

On the other extreme, for around $15k you could purchase an M540i (E34) 6-speed, a rare and fast car or an E36 ///M3 - the car that all boy racers covet... In addition, you could purchase an early model 740i/iL (E38) for less than $20k.

For $20k there are a slew of options...
  14. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    I'm sorry I must have mistyped above. I will be trading the Sentra for a new car. (So it will be The CR-V and the new car) The RSX is nice but it has no legroom in the rear. That is a major pet peeve for my wife. As for the VW and a used BMW, no thanks. I am a prior VW owner and won't go back down that road again. :x
  15. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Then it sounds if you're really in the market for another Japanese car. Either an Impreza or a Camry....

The Camry would fit the bill for your need. I wouldn't really consider the Impreza to have much legroom.

You could also consider a certified (used) Audi A4 - which would have the same amount of legroom as an Impreza....
  16. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    You sure you want a new car? Im not really a fan; you get ripped off. If you look hard enough you can find an almost new car for thousands less. Better use of 20k if you ask me.
  17. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    Camry? Maybe. Audi nope. No German cars ever again. Japanese only. Actually the Impreza has more front and rear legroom than my Sentra. The Corolla is nice but the engine reminds me of my wife's engine she had in her '89 Corolla DX. That thing was noisy!
  18. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    the subaru has a small rear seat compared to the corolla that is one of the reasons i got my corolla in the first place a larger rear seat. the engine was on the weaker end of the cars i looked at but the fit and finish was at the top along with toyota quality. this was my first import as i have mainly owned US except for one VW my first car but i reciently traded mine in for a dodge ram as i needed a truck more than a car but the corolla was a very good car and with some mods can be a good performer. but it is expense to mod compaired to a honda or nissan
  19. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Well it sounds as if you're in the market for a mainstream family hauler. How about a Minivan? :wink: I didn't think so... If I was choosing between the two premier family sedans, the Accord and the Camry, I'd have to choose the Accord. A better car on all points - driveability, ergonomics, seats, handling... A Camry is nice too, but If I was purchasing a car to replace another, I'd want to get the maximum utility/satisfaction while driving it. The Accord is that car in my book.

As for a Subie? Like I said in earlier posts, mechanical problems can be an expensive fix when out of warranty. Also be aware that simple items such as tires wear faster in an AWD vehicle. Then's there's the two differentials that receive power, the additional transaxle fluids.... There is more maintenance in owning a AWD vehicle -vs- a FWD vehicle. If you're shooting for low maintenance (which I'm assuming that you are, since you're looking at new cars only), I say you should stick with the FWD cars...
  20. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Or check out the new Galants. They beat the camry in that comercial at least. And you would pay less. Too bad they didnt think the market here wanted the galant Wagon! That would be sweet. oR the Staria!
  21. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    In that case, there's always the Koreans - Kia and Hyundai. Both makers will offer cars for less than their Japanese counterparts.
  22. Offline

jfideler Guest

Message Count:
    I had a WRX, the AWD was nice and so was the Turbocharger. But what sucks is if you put a boost gauge in yourself it comes down to ( mmmm... well I think the warranty will be voided since that is an aftermarket part)!! Subaru is really picky with stuff like that. Also I had a fuel line crack at 45,000 miles. They didn't have parts for two weeks and they wouldn't stand behind their car. Finally after 5 other Subies in the Milwaukee area had the same problem with my car they decided to put out a TSB.

Also have fun dealing with that sideways boxer engine. I had the car for 2.5 years and still didn't know where the spark plugs were. The guy that bought it after me had horrible timing problems and ended up buying a new ECU (only $1000 not bad) :? The car is nice when it works but things are touchy with the whole Subaru brand. I would push you away from Subaru's I know that I wouldn't buy one again (except the STI, but come on it really is awesome). :twisted:
  23. Offline

jeffptrsn Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for the information. I thought that Subaru's were as reliable as a Toyota or Honda. I guess I was wrong. I didn't really notice much of a performance difference between the Corolla Automatic and Impreza RS Automatic either. :roll: