1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Won these by mistake.. OOPS

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by 1998project, May 27, 2009.

1. Offline

1998project New Member

Message Count:
    Won these by mistake.. OOPS

OOOPs.. I bought these by mistake . I did not know If you put best offer and the guy accepts it , you win.. I never did a best offer before. I offered $240 and he took it.. I know these are CHEAPIES but the have all 4 struts and all 4 coilovers with a lifetime warranty... So I guess I HAVE to try them.. I'll mount them as soon as I get them and let you know how they ride.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Drop...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  2. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
    i have the exact same setup on my accord. they are pretty decent. my accord handles really well and i can slam it
  3. Offline

1998project New Member

Message Count:
    Good to know.. Thanks.. I just figured the prices are ridiculous for suspension on our cars. For the price of tokico blues I can get adjustable Illumina's on any other car. EVEN my ancient 87 CRX.

Can't judge a ugly chick on how good she is in bed before you try it, I guess..
  4. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    i don't understand why people cheap out on suspension parts and tires. those are probably the most important parts when it comes to get your car connected to the ground. what a FAIL
  5. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    because neon lights and stickers are cheaper and add more hp... duh.
  6. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    wtf really? dam i knew i shouldent have gotten a wing then, i keep getting pulled over for flying.:rolleyes:
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    My neon underbody glow makes me fly!!!
  8. Offline

1998project New Member

Message Count:
    Why are you such a negative dude? In my New paint thread you were all" I bet there are flaws everywhere that don't show up in the pics" Lay easy on the Haterade bro'..I'm not building BTCC car IT'S A COMMUTER anything is better than GR2's or stock mushy blown out stuff..... I don't say anything about you owning the 2 voted most queer cars (Rabbit and FJ) in America to me that's a FAIL..

Have you owned a set? I can Quote MANY a brand name who are universal china products with a top label name on it.. Even tires.. Sometimes you just pay for the name. I have a budget to stick with on this car.. Why should I put loads of cash into my wifes commuter car? If they handle shitty I will take them off. I highly doubt they will make my wifes car un-controllable ,spin her car out, and make her flip 30 times into a field of burning grass .. And If they do I will sue and collect on her life insurance and buy something much better..

Personally I think KYB GR2's are the worst strut out there GARBAGE.. I have $3,000+ suspension on my other car and autocross it frequently.. I know what good suspension is and what it is needed on.

I had SKunk 2 coilovers on my old 94 ls-vtec hatch and sold them.I bought some $100 MAXPOWER coilovers and I could tell no difference in ride quality or handling .. Pay for the name and street cred is all I did. ..

I figured I'll try something different You never know until you have tried them.I do have $240 to spare easily.. I will review them well and If I got a crappy deal, I will not hesitate to say so. In the past 2 weeks I have spent $2000 on it so that was it for the budget.. I will spend no more.
  9. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    in regards to the paint, i made that assumption that you just went down and had it painted for 600 which is typical of most people. i read the reply in my email (from the notification) and just lost track of the post and was going to say that it was good that you did the bodywork yourself. i just have enough of life to not even worry about a messageboard. i also don't even pay attention to who's posting because i had no correlation the same user posted this thread and the paint thread. i read them and comment on them.

i just bought a RS5 Scion tC, so make that 3 queer cars i own. when it comes suspension parts and tires i tend to lean towards making sure i get a quality product and not an ebay special or big o tire special just to stay in a budget. its better then finding out a part sucks and spending more money. just do it right first time instead of 2 or 3 times.
  10. Offline

1998project New Member

Message Count:
    TC is not queer, it is Lesbo LOL J/K. I agree and am not butthurt at all, I was just like Damn did I piss on your cornflakes or something?, but people on here think GR2's are TITS when they are not even bumps on aereola's in SCCA world. I posted to see If anyone actually owned a set and someone has them on another car and likes them.. so I guess I don't feel all that bad. I have never tried their product and I usually am a brand name guy.

The reason I even looked at them was for the coilover part for height adjustment reasons , just in case they would not clear the 17's with the 205/40's (Nitto Neo Gens is that OK?).

I could have went Tokico HP for $400 plus Ground Control for another $400 that would be $800.. For that I would rather just get the K-sports for $950. Either way BOTH are ridiculous prices for suspension on a commuter ride.

So for $240 for struts plus coilovers I am happy, and If I do not like the Spring rate I am sure they are just the universal 2.5" perch and I can get Eibachs to length at $60 a pair in any rate I want. Even buying the Eibachs It's not bad of a deal. Plus lifetime warranty, so If they are shitty, I have a lifetime supply of shitty struts!!

Coilovers are coilovers as far as perches and sleeves go.. Besides the GC coilovers are $400 for the set.. I (not purposely) bought DROPZONE struts plus the coilovers for $240 so If I buy the Eibachs (just the springs) springs at $120 a set for springs in any rate, I basically have the GC coilovers (minus the red and gold sleeves and perches) for $340 plus some free generic struts. Not a bad financial choice when you look at it this way.
  11. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    why bother to post here if every one of your post is negative. Does it make you feel better?

How hard is it to understand that a 1998 Corolla is a good economy car for being over a decade old, not worth the money to make fast or be a showstopper. $600 for that type of paintjob is awesome. It's not a BMW or some other new luxury car. He just want a better paint then it was before. Surely you can agree that it looks better than before, right?

Yeah, you were making fun of me too before because my air intake is ghetto....well guess what it f-ing works. I rather spend my money on something else besides a 1998 Corolla with over 250k body miles. No mechanic or anyone else besides me will look at my engine bay. I have NOTHING to show off in my engine bay. It's an economy car period. Great car getting from point A to point B while saving you money.

We don't plan on having this car forever so why spend 2k for a paint job when a $600 job with flaw only seen by professionals will do. Most of our Corolla will be in the junkyard in a decade. The DropZone suspension is something I wouldn't of brought, but hey he knows what he brought and didn't disguise the fact that it may be inferior. Sounds like he's being a lab rat for this product so kudos to him. Rather then people saying it's a bad product because it's cheap. Let him test it and give us a honest opinion, if it's bad he'll get rid of it...
  12. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
  13. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I didn't know dropzone was still in business.
  14. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
    my accord is my daily driver and i like my dropzone setup more than the kyb gr2's with arospeed coilovers. you definately will have adjustability and they ride pretty decent. they aren't super stiff like full bodies which make it better for a dd which is what you are going for. i definately wouldn't recommend them for a track car but that is neither here nor there.
  15. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    ^

ive rode in his accord , it dont have the "ricer bounce" (thats right i said it) and is a fairly soft setup for daily driving. however i notice you feel the smallest bumps , and bottoms out the srtut easy. but the accord is a 2900 lbs. car with 215-40-17 tires so your gonna feel every bump anyway. it will take a while to get used to the bottoming out part , it did me riding in tc's car. but its not bad for 2 1/2 bills.
  16. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    knowing drop zone is not a good product to buy but $240 is a steal for 4 srtuts,so my question is how long will the strut last til it blows out?days,weeks,months or years.anyways i just want to know the reviews so when a noob comes on this forums ask about it we all know the answer.
  17. Offline

Graphiterolla Member

Message Count:
    i haven't had one blow yet and i have had them for several years. they also have a lifetime warranty. the only reason mine bottoms out is because i took out the bump stops when I had it slammed. i also have mine set pretty low too
  18. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    modifying a Corolla is almost always more expensive because parts are hard to come by
  19. Offline

shubert_ae102 New Member

Message Count:
    me and other know this all too well . . . . . . . .
  20. Offline

1998project New Member

Message Count:
    The struts and coilovers have arrived..

VISUAL INSPECTION:

The product came in and all the items are correct and packaging (shipping and product) was very high class and not what I would expect from a "cheap company". Very high quality product packaging.

The coilovers came with decent instructions and everything packaged well and individually, securely, wrapped. They seem to be of good quality and the sleeves are thicker more dense material than that of my Ground controls on my CRX. They also came with the perches and tools for adjustment.

The struts were well packed and boxed smartly, being compressed and held with a nifty metal bracketry (unlike tokico illuminas with zipties). They seem to be of good quality no nicks on the shafts or imperfections That I have noticed yet. They have their name embossed in the strut along with serial numbers etc. that are straight and parallel to each other (not all crooked), which I find cool for a "rumored" cheap company as some struts I have seen are decals,all though these have decals as well. The welds on the bottom perches are clean, professional, and nicely done. The shafts and shock body are impressively large design larger than that of tokico.

All in all I am visually impressed with these $240 struts/coilover combo. Now lets see how they install and how they ride..

I am willing to bet some of the bad internet RAP has came from incorrect installation or abuse from idiotic users (bad rap probably originated from honda-tech lol).. SUCH AS: dropping the things as low as they can go and "RICER bouncing" ,yes I said it, and just BOTTOMING the struts out or ripping the coilover sleeves somehow by riding at the lowest over bad streets, shoddy mechanics knicking the strut shafts while installing etc. **Remember a lot of consumers will blame the product, before themselves or their human error, accordingly and obviously.

ANY car NO MATTER HOW GOOD the suspension is, If you lower to the lowest you will bounce, ride stiff, and just plain hate it and eventually destroying the strut. I will lower the Corolla in a correct "functional" manner and give a real world review on them..
  21. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    good review,now i want to know hows the ride and how low you lowered the car?