1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

~*Wiring Fog Lights*~

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by snuggles, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    ~*Wiring Fog Lights*~

Ok my car doesn't have stock fog lights (b/c i am too poor to get them with the car), anyways i want to get some aftermarket ones. Well where would i wire them to??? I've never seen the fog light switch on the S (i don't even know if there is one), but most cars have a seperate switch that turns the fog lights on. So if i were to put aftermarket fog lights on my car, do i need to get a seperate button put on my car, in order for the lights to be turned on???
  2. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    u'll need to install them, connect the positive and negative to the battery, ground the lights and run the switch through the firewall to instal on the inside. that's the easiest way of doing it. i know its too much info, but if ur not comfortable with electronics, take it to someone who installs it

Achint
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    hey angel, here is a quick diagram

[IMG]
  4. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    Wouldn't connecting the positive and negative together like that cause a bit of a problem?
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    never had problems the last time i did it, it was on my old car though
  6. Offline

oxymoron Guest

Message Count:
    Did your old car have a battery?
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah, hit why???
  8. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    Wow that's a really pretty picture. But i don't think i get what u are trying to say. I have no idea what the firewall or the engine bay is at. :lol: What do u mean by switch??? Do i have to make my own switch to turn the fog lights on??? And what will the switch look like??

I dunno about taking it to a person to do it for me. they might rip me off or something. Cuz i asked around for getting side markers and this guy was gonna start the job at $55 an hour and two guys will do it. It does not take two guys to do it. But he said that they work together and there's not way they can do it with one person.
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    :lol: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    that's a pretty picture, come on u can be honest. but everything is in the pic. the firewall is the part between the hood and interior, the back wall when u open ur hood. the engine bay is where the engine sits, the part under the hood. if u buy aftermarket ones, the switch will come with the whole package. it is just a little on off switch. if u do the OEM type lights form the dealer, u gotta attach the harness, get a new switch for you headlight section, unless u are comfortable with electronics.

as far as side markers go, u can do those ur self too but ask around at several different speedshops. my guy said 20 installed if i provided my own but i think i'll do it my self. its only like a hour job.

Also the pic that i posted, is quite simplified that's why me and oxymorone were having a discussion :wink:

Later
    Achint
  10. Offline

baller Guest

Message Count:
    hehe funny i just installed aftermarket foglights on my firends car today.. EASY.. took me 30 minutes. That diagram is umm wrong.. Dont connect the negative end of the battery to the positive.. you will short the battery.. and create sparks and in the process might just shock ur self.. heh..
    Just ground the negative end to the car chasis.. find a bolt somewhere and groudn the wire...
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    hehe, i realized that after oxymoron posted the first time, i was just too lazy to go out and fix it, but thanx, got any pics, i wanna see what it looks like.
    Lat-R
    Achint
  12. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    you wont shock yourself though on a 12V battery, You may burn yourself from the wire getting soo hot, but never a shock. Even if you lick your fingers and touch both posts you wont get anything. If you lick the battery though that is a different story.
  13. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:

Stinky, i love you, lolol.

I wonder how many people are gonna go try this now. Wouldnt you atleast feel a little tingle?

I know when i was doing your stock air tube relocation, i was all done and putting the battery back in. and i had the positive all tightened down, and i was tightening the neg back down, and like an idiot i left the plastic cover off the pos terminal and the wrench accidently sliped out of my hands and was fell onto the pos terminal and was sitting inbetween the two terminals connecting them and let me tell you sparks went everywhere. And my socket is all messed up now it melted the little ball thing in now so it dosnt hold the diffrent sockets on the wrench. and the wrench got frikin red hot i had to lift it up with some pliers and run it under cold water for a minute to cool it down and that was after i let it lay on the floor for 5 minutes. But that was crazy.

Ok i got some aftermarket fogs at walmart. they are nice, $40 dollars. and they were easy to install cuz they run off of a remote, so I didnt even have to run wires through my firewall, i would recomend them for sungles because they are very easy to install. To install them i just mounted the fogs, connected the positive wire to the battery, connected all grounds, pluged wires into the lights, and connected the box for the remote control, and your done. Almost sounds too easy. Iv got a lot of complements on them too. The hardest part was getting them both aimed right so that when your looking at them head on from a little ways away they both look the same briteness, I think it looks so retarded when one headlight or fog light is brighter or dimmer then the other, it looks so cheap.

well thats my story

Trevor
  14. Offline

DisOrDeR Guest

Message Count:
    good times, man yeah a batterie can burn you pretty good, i remember this one time i was messin with my lawnmower, one of the big craftsmen riding ones, yeah well i was messin with the battery while the lights were on, needless to say i burnt a hole thru my skin.... hurt like hell, this was like 8 years ago tho
  15. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    Achint-- too lazy?? so u would rather see me die??? u wanted me to shock myself??? Thats awfully nice of you. :lol: And i actually said your picture was pretty!!! (it really is though, for a picture drawn from a computer)

I am getting fog lights, i just buy it and have someone else to like install them. Let them get shocked :twisted: !! J/k i'll find an "expert" to install them. I think i might end up shocking and burning myself and then messing my car up. The car would blow up or something. connect the wrong wires and the car go <*BooM*>.

So the $40 fog lights are good?? B/c some say that they cheap ones aren't good and that i should get the ones that cost about $100+ so i was "if-y" about the ones at Wal-Mart. But if new cute ones come out later, i can always change them and not worry about how much i spent on the ones i had before.

About the side markers, what kind are good??? Are the $10 dollar ones any good??? where would i find some decent side markers???