1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

wire tuck?? (56k)

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by trdracing2005, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    wire tuck?? (56k)

MY WIRE TUCK progress
  2. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    wire looms would hide some... but if I rember 8th gens don't realy have that many wires showing...
  3. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    what accesorries are removed?

how could I move the fuse panels into the glovebox or somewhere?
  4. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    On that first pic, I dont see any fluid containers...Im pretty sure you would need a few just to be able to drive the car, maybe Im just blind.
  5. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    the silver round things with the tubes going to them are the tanks

here is a pic of my wires [IMG]
  6. Offline

USFrolla New Member

Message Count:
    Actually, those silver round things with the steel braided lines going to them are oil catch cans ;)
  7. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    oops lol yup there are some that are power steerig tanks and overflow tank

any corollas been tucked??
  8. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    heres what ive got to so far with about 1 hour of working on it! [IMG]

I will post pics of what ive done since that pic. give me some tips or tricks and some advice or ideas!!!!!!!!! thanks
  9. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    What did you do exactly - looks like you pulled all the wires out of any looms or tape. Those split-wire looms only go so far and can still make it look like a clusterf*ck under there - they do make braided tubes that may work better. Just do searches for wire/cable managment for custom PCs.

I can see the usefulness of this if you are trying to trace down a wire or something - but why go nuts - once you close the hood, no one can see the wires anyway.
  10. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    I am tracing a few wires so I can replace them
  11. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    whoever painted your car needs to get slapped for overspraying everywhere.
  12. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    my dad, he is a dumb mother f'er im going to take him to court if he does not fix it right and finish painting the engine bay and replace the parts that were painted. ( never payed child support and im 16 now soo.......)

hey sv, what are those blue headlights? I love them whered u get them
  13. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    its just paint....not like its gonna kill your big HORSEPOWER numbers...
  14. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
  15. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    nope my headlights are not blue. it's just lighting effects done in photoshop, nothing more.
  16. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    i mean your bulbs
  17. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    HIDs, Silverstars? Also wtf is up in that engine bay. Why are soo many wires? What are they for? That looks like the wires under my computer desk all tangled up lol.
  18. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    5300k mcculloch
  19. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    Mayr those are the wires im tucking the ones that are in the black wire loom. here are some updated pics:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  20. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Looking much better there :D

I'd make sure that amp power cable is water tight as possible, if your going to run it behind the fender liner. I've beat up a few even with the watertight ends - last setup I just potted it up with some RTV silicone - not a drop of moisture hit it yet.
  21. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    ok i will. thanks for that little peice of great advice I will head out to the store to get some soon, I will have the interior ripped completely out today routing the diagnostics box into the driverside inder the steering wheel. and probably get a new gasket for my manifold and port the manifold (vamps great diy) lol and then install it back in and hopfully get the car at least started up to see if I fixed the idleing roughly and missing and backfiring and the poor performance with my new sensor installed! wish me luck.

ok heres what ive done in about 4 hours today, its only 1:30pm so it isnt much but this is just half of what im doing today. I got the wires for the diagnostics box pulled out off the engine bay buy tracing the wire and pulling it through the firewall. . I dont know if I want to cut the wires and shorten them where the transmission wires go for an auto. the reason why i dont know if I should is because they connect to the ecu but if I cut them the same length it will be fine I guess but I will wait for some input from the older guys like vortex or anybody thats older then me at 16 years old lol but anyways here the the pictures! and a goofy one of me:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]^ trash I am replacing in my car
    [IMG]
    ^ diagnostics box wiring
    [IMG]
    ^Sensor I had to replace
    [IMG]
    ^ had to cut it to untangle it and reroute it somewere hidden
    [IMG]
    poor me

why are there so many brown wires connct to the engine with a bolt? is it possible to take them out of the engine bay and put them on a diffrent bolt? I think they are grounds but its weird how they would waste all that wire grounging the ecu the the engine.
  22. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    You can pretty much shorten any piece of wire in there - as long as the new connection is as good as the old one and watertight - you shouldn't have a problem. You don't have to worry about length as an issue (not like the traces on a high frequency circuit board or anything like that). Usually, short is better - they probably came long for ease of connectivity to certain sensors or such.

Only thing you have to watch for in routing wires: watch for paths that might pickup noise (most of the time not a problem), creating ground loops (electrical connections that have multiple paths to physical grounds), and making sure you have enough slack (engine will move around a bit, give yourself enough slack to account for engien movement).
  23. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    so I can move the ground wires to a ground source as long as it is a good grounding spot?
  24. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    As long as it is the only grounding spot or clean "electrically" - sure can. Quick way to check for ground loops are to connect a voltmeter to two ground points and see if there is any resistance between the two. The resistance can be quite low - so a decent multimeter is needed. Keep in mind that this resistance can be highly variable - but doing everything you can to keep ground loops controlled will make your life a lot easier.

As for ground loop issue - this is what helps me out when I rewire something. Always remember that there is no absolute ground. There wall always be a finite amount of resistance current between any two grounding points. Environmental conditions (humidity, temperature, pressure, other connected equipment, user error) can greatly influence this resistance to current.
  25. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    what does that mean i dont understand....:superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf :superconf

can i just run these wires back into the interior and then sand down a spot where a bolt is bolted to the body or find an existing ground?

ok here is what ive done the past day and a 1/2 Pictures:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  26. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    hey get rid of that cover between the valvecover and intake. shit makes the engine look dumb. very good job though kid, at least someone's doing something during the summer. Keep at it!
  27. Offline

jtweezy New Member

Message Count:
    OMG...man you got balls....that is a headache!!!
  28. Offline

trdracing2005 New Member

Message Count:
    at 16 I think most people wouldnt attempt this at my age. I have no patience at all when it comes to stuff I order or driving my grandpas new car home from the dealer before he drove it =) (2006 Phantom grey pearl Corolla S) but im trying my hardest to atleast get it to look good. I need some advice on what to get rid off in the engine bay. so I should get rid of the engine cover? (valve cover thing painted 3 colors haha)

whats the best stuff to clean all the black stuff on my tranny and engine? I want it clean. im going to pull the motor when my dad decides to paint the bay. dunno if I want the bay same as carrs color or black...... gloss black that is
  29. Offline

laz Member

Message Count:
    Have the engine steamed clean, or buy the cleaner yourself and hose it off.

X
  30. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    steam cleaning is overrated. just drench it in simple green. as for stuff to get rid of in the engine bay.... those fuse boxes in the driver side which im sure you're on it already. that dumb looking AC freeon tank. move the power steering fluid tank behind the strut tower.