1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Winter GRIP!!!

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by ChicagoCruise, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Winter GRIP!!!

hey guys,

I did some research but i wanted to ask if anybody had anything to add.

I have a set of stock steelies that i want to place a set of winter tires on. Now the tires I have been considering, are 185/65/14. Now I know the rims will handle 195 but would they be wide enough to handle 195/75/14? Is it even worthwhile to go to bigger? I rather have it wider, but Winter 185/75 are not to common.

thanks for any input
  2. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    After doing a quick search on Tirerack, the 195/75/14 will fit on a 5-6.5" rim. So yes they will fit the rim, but the diameter of the tires is 25.6" and the stock size is 23.4". The tires will be too tall, and you will probably rub like crazy if anybody is sitting in the back seat, even on stock suspension
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    can u show me where you found the measurements. As long as 75 fits on the current rim, thats the most important thing for me.
  4. Offline

Unique102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I just put Dunlop SP60s on my steelies. I read that for a winter tire it is better to run the stock width then wider becasue a skinier tire pushes through the snow better. Put another way, the wider the tire, the more mass that has to be moved through the snow. Therefore I went with the OE size.
  5. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    That is true. I knew some Jeep guys that would go with a thinner tire, but get it with an 85 series tire. You should probably get 175/65/14. Thats what came stock on my car. And since theyre slightly smaller, you'll get more power to get out if youre stuck
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    thanks guys,

Really appreciate all the info.