1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Winter gas mileage reports are in!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RexPelagi, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:

Ok so I got an 'economy car' for economy; I definitely feel there is no peroformance. However Im not so sure about the economy part either. I just got back from the gas station and discovered I got a Sports car-esque 16 miles per gallon. O YA! What the hell is wrong with my car? Anyone else getting figures this low?
  2. Offline

AznRolla Guest

Message Count:
    u drive too hard? i dont think ive gotten gas mileage that bad... worst has been like 20-25 mpg
  3. Offline

shemsey Guest

Message Count:
    hey

hey man i think im in the same boat, my friend with a 03 civic SI gets like 30mpg in the winter here...
  4. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    you need to take ur car to the dealer...thats so bad something must be wrong with it.
  5. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    About the dealership, I dont know what could be wrong that would have me get bad gas mileage. Also, I dont know what they would say or what they could do if I did.
  6. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    your almost getting the same mpg im gettin in my truck right now. but my corolla did use more gas in the winter as well
  7. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    do you let your car warm up before you drive?
  8. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Not really. I know thats part of it, but my summer gas mileage was 19-22.
  9. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah i get like 18 mpg two months in a row. i was expecting at least 25 mpg.

By the way, does your car really smell? Like after you drive and then you park, does your car have that sulfur smell?? Cuz the smell it very bad. But i don't think the Toyota people can blame it on the whole your car is still new crap, but it's not anymore. so is there something in my car that is making that smell? Like maybe a dead squirrel or something?
  10. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    NO its the fuel/engine making the smell. It wont go away until low sulpur fuel is released in America, or so im told.
  11. Offline

03_Corolla_S Guest

Message Count:
    Dont worry I get 23-27mpg with my 03 and 90% is all highway cruising at 65mpg. My 03 Altima gets 16-18 mpg so I think its the gas.
  12. Offline

bigdaddyk Guest

Message Count:
    Gas milage seems to be lower in the winter with newer cars, due to additives in winter fuel. The lowest I've gotten is 21 mpg in town. Highest is 42 highway. My 91 got 30 mpg no matter where I drove or time of the year. However, newer cars are designed to higher emissions standards, which can hurt gas milage. Also, last winter and this winter have had long, cold snaps (in NE United States). When it's cold, your engine burns richer, until it properly warms up. Driving short distances on a cold engine is one of the worst things you can do. When you get your car serviced, do what I do...ask for a fresh dozen eggs to replace the rotten ones (dealers don't seem to find the humor in it, though)!!! :lol:
  13. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:

:? So what kinda fuel is out there now?? I know that theres 87, 89 and 93, what do they mean?? I used to use the 93, but then i read the manual and it says it recommends like 87 or something, so i am using 89 now. So does that have to do with anything???

My mailman told me that giving the car a TUNE-UP might help or something. do u guys think so?
  14. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    87, 89, and 93 are octane ratings. This is the tendancy of the fuel to burn instead of exploding. 93= least explosive, 87 = most. Sulfur is just an extra element in the fuel that is difficult to remove as the oil is processed. Currently US gas has ~ 300 ppm (parts per million) of sulfur in it. This sulfur reacting with the catylitic convertor causes the rotten egg smell. Low sulfur fuel has ~ 30 ppm and Ultra Low ~10 ppm. By having the catalytic convertor doing less stinking and more working, it improves emissions greatly.

The only reason you need octane above 87 is if the compression ratio of the engine is very high, or you have a turbo/SC. Where I live, to get low sulfur fuel you have no choice except buying premium. Low sulfur fuel does get rid of the egg smell, i've tried it on 2 older toyotas and each had the same result.
  15. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    so where can you buy low-sulfur fuel at??? I live in North Carolina, do they have low sulfur fuel for sell here, do u know??
  16. Offline

Bolt Guest

Message Count:
    Can I ask how you're calculating your mileage? I write my odometer reading on all my gas receipts and get my mileage from those. I normally get about 30-33mpg and in the winter lately I've been getting about 29mpg.
  17. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    top off tank and write down mileage

then i drive for a week and fill it up

take final minus inital mileage divided by gallons which equals miles per gallon

That right?
  18. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    When i go to the gas station, i look at how many miles i used. i write that number down and then fill up my tank. Then i take my miles and divide it by the gallons that was put into the tank. Then i figure that i get about 18 miles per gallon, i erase the miles and start all over the next time i get gas
  19. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    From what I understand you cant get it anywhere in the US at this moment. Smell away!
  20. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    They have it in the PNW through BP Arco stations, but only in the premium grade. (I live there)
  21. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Besides eliminating the smell would using low sulphur few do anything good for me?
  22. Offline

kwikrnu Guest

Message Count:
    Something is wrong if you are getting 25 mpg or less. I would recommend taking accurate notes and keeping all receipts for a few months then take it to the dealer. I've been keeping accurate records for several months and my gas mileage since November averages 33 mpg with snow tires.
  23. Offline

TRD-MX83 Guest

Message Count:
    Filled up last night.. got 34 mpg. I'm averaging this in winter. Highest so far was 39 mpg.
    Highest so far with CAI is 37mpg. (once you get one, it's hard to drive it "slow"... sounds so nice from 3000rpm on..)
  24. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    One question; HOW?
  25. Offline

vancitylover Guest

Message Count:
    hmmm... I wonder if there is any correspondance between the sulfur smell and bad mileage. i've notice peopple who have bad mileage have complained about the smell and people with good mileage haven't mentioned any smell
  26. Offline

03_Corolla_S Guest

Message Count:
    Well I get the smell sometimes and get 24-27mpg 90% highway
  27. Offline

TRD-MX83 Guest

Message Count:
    Well, i'm sorry the 39 mpg was like my second tank of gas. So that was probably back in Sept. The winter gas mileages so far has been around 34 mpg. I usually let it shift before 3000 rpm... to me this corolla is the economy commuter car. I should have just waited 2 months and pay $5000 more for the new Prius. That is the ultimate commuter car.. 60 mpg. but since I can't afford that car. This corolla is my commuter car.. so i know i dont' floor it often.. but just love to hear that TRD CAI do it's thing.. =) so the lowest i have had so far is 29 mpg. I can give you guys all my fill ups since I got the new car. I have all the records. =) (BTW The Cressida get's about 22 mpg, and the 83 Tercel averages 30 mpg.)
  28. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ok I got my mpg again this week and Im up to 17.5! Wow look at that economy!
  29. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    thats worse than lexus V8s :lol:
  30. Offline

snuggles Guest

Message Count:
    I am so jealous of you guys. I've never gotten over 30 mpg before. Yesterday i filled up the gas and i got 26 mpg! Thats only because i got some highway in there.

What will the dealer do if like they find that you are getting such low mpg???