1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine winter drop in fuel economy??

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by CorollaULEV, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    winter drop in fuel economy??

Anyone else noticed a drop in fuel economy since colder temps are now here? I've lost about 50 miles to a tank now? That's about a 3-4mpg drop. Concerns me. Anyone else experienced this?

Trav
  2. Offline

CadetLee Guest

Message Count:
    I didn't notice when I was up in NJ..but I wasn't really keeping track (at least not that I remember)..sorry :(
  3. Offline

jeprox Active Member

Message Count:
    that's normal if you live in area where it gets really cold coz u need to warm up car. your car uses more gas when cold, specially automatics. why? coz with automatics, tranny don't shift right away when cold and so your gears are held in place longer and so your engine revs higher = more gas.

happens to me every year - starting around oct. up to around march-april.
  4. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    depending on where you live, the oil companies also make a different blend of gas that doesn't get the same fuel milage as summer gas.
  5. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe yeah once they roll out the ' lower emissions blend ' from october to march my mpg goes in the toilet... I'll literally drop 50 miles a tank.
  6. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
    It certainly is normal... More fuel is used during warmup as engine is operating on a richer fuel mixture and idling at higher rpm. Engine oil/tranny lube are thicker until fully warmed up. Snow also causes drag. Colder temperature makes wheel bearing grease thicker, boots and tires stiffer, air denser...
    During colder months, vent position is usually on the 'floor/defrost' blend position which activates A/C, causing an additional rise in fuel consumption. In stock form, the A/C is activated at just past the vent control's 'floor' position. I've modified my control knob cam to have A/C on only past the 'floor/defrost' vent position.
    Switching to a true synthetic like Amsoil in engine, tranny and power steering makes a big difference too. Using a block heater and covering the grille with a black plastic bag also help achieve normal operating temperature.
    Keep an eye on tire pressure, it goes down as temperature goes down...
  7. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Hehe..I was waiting for someone to say that. Check your tire pressure!
  8. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    HA! You all were right. Temps dropped to 29ºF today. I'm sure a lot of it is due to the warm-up enrichment, but my tire pressure was 35psi on the front - which is a drop from the original 40psi I had them at. So, I was noticing the tires seemed REALLY slick for the past few days and thought it was just that cold rubber wasn't as "sticky". Guess I was wrong - they were just underinflated.

Thanks,
    Trav
  9. Offline

jeprox Active Member

Message Count:
    look at your sidewall, will tell u what is the max. psi you're allowed. usually, it's 35psi max.
  10. Offline

03silverrolla Guest

Message Count:
    i thought they were supposed to be at 30 psi
  11. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Yeah, 40psi is high. Are you running stock tires?
  12. Offline

Rolla95 Rollin' Out y0

Message Count:
    my auto corolla does that too...sucks...very much...im in jersey also, so it gets pretty cold
  13. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    isnt it the smaller the tire, the higher the psi? like how bike tires require 50-60psi... i have my 205/40/16's runnin at 38-40psi which is fine- nice and firm feel...
  14. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    I'm running Kumho 716's 195/60/15 and the max pressure is 44psi. These tires just don't do well at anything under at least 38psi.

Trav
  15. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
  16. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
  17. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
  18. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i know i did... my car seems to suck up more fuel... a whole tank use to last me a whole week but now only lasted me 4 and a half days
  19. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i know i did... my car seems to suck up more fuel... a whole tank use to last me a whole week but now only lasted me 4 and a half days
  20. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
  21. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    Yes, 30psi is recommended. That is the best COMPROMISE between comfort, fuel economy and performance for STOCK size tires. Even the stock tires do a little better at around 38/34psi (max 44psi on the Goodyear Integras). Better fuel economy and performance, but the ride is harsher. When you get into high performance tires, higher pressures generally give better grip on curves (but a firmer ride overall). When the pressure on my tires goes below 35psi, I can tell because I start to get uncontrollable wheel spin when pulling out in a turn. Raising the pressure helps A LOT with that, although an LSD is the only way to really do any good as far as that goes.

Trav
  22. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    Yes, 30psi is recommended. That is the best COMPROMISE between comfort, fuel economy and performance for STOCK size tires. Even the stock tires do a little better at around 38/34psi (max 44psi on the Goodyear Integras). Better fuel economy and performance, but the ride is harsher. When you get into high performance tires, higher pressures generally give better grip on curves (but a firmer ride overall). When the pressure on my tires goes below 35psi, I can tell because I start to get uncontrollable wheel spin when pulling out in a turn. Raising the pressure helps A LOT with that, although an LSD is the only way to really do any good as far as that goes.

Trav