1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Window Tinting Advice

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by tg518, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Offline

tg518 Guest

Message Count:
    Window Tinting Advice

I would like to get the windows tinted on my new 2003 charcoal grey S Corolla. I think that the silverish looking tint will look nice with the dark grey.

My question is:
    Does the silver colored tint have a special name?
    Is there a certain type of tint that is better than another?
    How much should I look at spending to have it professionally tinted?
    Which tint do you recommend the 35% or 25%?
  2. Offline

stephen.fisher Guest

Message Count:
    I believe it's called "reflective" or "mirrored"... 3M makes some of the best. Don't go to K-Mart and buy that junk, it's low-quality and doesn't stand up to heat as well as top brands. I'm not sure what the going rate is for tinting windows is now-a-days, but a friend of mine just had a quote for three hundred dollars in Germany, that's outrageous. I'd say anywhere from 110-150$... maybe? Once again, not 100% on it. And the darkness percentage depends on what your state allows. Fines are expensive for illegal tint. Be careful and if you do go to the 20% range, make sure you can afford the tickets.
    And don't forget to clean your windows with a razor before applying... hope this helps.

Fish
  3. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I was quoted $120 CDN for just the back windows. then its $160 for 3 windows including the back. But they count the little window in the corner as 1 window, so to do those 3 and the back pass 2 windows they wanted I think $250 CDN. then I still didnt have anything on the front 3. I ended up doing the side windows all myself, and got a trade on some work at a tint shop to do the back window for free. I needed to hook up their pressure washer. that took me 1 hour. so I got the tinting done for about $20 cdn worth of work.

I am going to do the front 2 in a few eeks with a little liter tint
  4. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Window Tinting Advice

The tint is called metallic or reflective. I had all windows done for $150 with a lifetime parts & labor warranty. 3M is the best. Any decent shop will have examples of the various tints for you to choose from.