1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Who has turbocharged there 1zz-fe?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Mr.Cool, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Offline

Mr.Cool Guest

Message Count:
    Who has turbocharged there 1zz-fe?

If you have turbocharged your 1zz can you list your mods.
    i know of some kits i just dont know who has them.

And if you are planing to list the ideas you have come up with so far.

I am trying to find as much information on turbocharged 1zz's as possilble, i know the engine is nice (cause i have one) but all i see are parts for celica's so there is a possible chance i might swap for the 2zz.
  2. Offline

RacingSolution New Member

Message Count:
    There are really two options...

#1. Stafford Fabrication Turbo
    #2. Custom made

Did you want to know the specs on the kits, or mods OTHER than the turbo?
  3. Offline

sean2sean Member

Message Count:
    u should try searching on vvti... theres tons of threads on it...
  4. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    I went with sf but if you go this route expecta long wait.I am going over 2 mons now
    who knows a month I might get it or 6 more months who know's But they are the best that I could find and I was willing the wait for it to get here.
  5. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    i say go custom man, you will save money in the long run....and you have a choice of what you use
  6. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    doing a custom turbo job yourself is not easy... take it from me... im pretty sure Im the only one other than super pilun of course who mad e a complete turbo system themselves... and I made muine of quality... and learned how to weld grind and lots of other shit...

also if you have a shop install it stick around... you dont want them just saying hey itll work for now and by the time they come back well fix it for more...

also helps to know how things are set up in case you have a problem later down the road!!

if you buy SF kit just put it on yourself.... altho id recomend the next mod you make is a better fuel management system and injectors... stafford just took a fpr and adapted it to a returnless system... ask anyoen with turbos that its one of the worst ways to go in the end! emanage, split second, EMS, a wolfe system full standalone or piggyback is the best bet...

and emanages work great! i love it and Im thinking vortex does as well!

Now it SEEMS like I am bashing SF which Im not trying to do... just that when you get a kit thats what it is not perfect... his tuner kit is nice though as you can do your own fuel setup.... and at least he had balls to do it and stay open... altho his customer service is going to hell sort of
  7. Offline

Silver Bullet New Member

Message Count:
    How much extra HP are you guys getting with a turbo kit? Is there any truth to the claim that turbos put extra wear on the engine and shorten its life?
  8. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
  9. Offline

Monster1ZZFE Guest

Message Count:
  10. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    search the site their kits are a hoax.
  11. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    thost kits are the biggest fuckin joke on the planet... even their list of shit makes me laugh... ... HAR HAR ... (ok so ive been drinkin again... but their shit sucks!)
  12. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    in the end custom costs more... but reliability and performance increase... or you can make a system liek stafford and cheap it out...
  13. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    custom man...custom
  14. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    custome would be a great way to go, if you know what you are doing and have the time. I just wanted a kit and give to to a shop and tell them to put it on and do it right.
  15. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    couldnt you just buy all the parts, and them just have them install it all, but in reality, its nothing that you couldnt handle
  16. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    Im getting 220 whp at 7 psi... and have a dyno test to prove it... stock out car gets about 110 whp if not less...

and yes it puts extra wear on the engine but if done right it is minimal...
  17. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
  18. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    no points in dynoing it again that TB may gain you 1 HP if that but the rest of your mods shouldnt effect it at all...
  19. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    I am going to add more than 1 hp becouse when I got mine dynoed I was running to lean that I was loseing hp. Now a bigger intake and tb ......come on now it should balance it out I hope. I hope I pull close to 110.
  20. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    lol I call 97 - 98 hp or so max

our car makes more hp lean then rich as do most cars thats how it works... unless you were at 17:1 or something!

the tb gives minimal hp gains...

relax your call will make not soo great hp off boost you have to accept that... however when your boosting 7 psi more then everyne else there will be a hell of a difference!! even if your at the same psi as us your displacement might have you hp = stock at 7 psi...

I know I said about our car gets 110 whop stock but that is off...

manual tranny = about 15% drivetrain loss if lucky so 125 - 15% = 106 WHP stock....

if you do get to 106 who with a tb and a little tunning that will be a surprise but then again I dont know how badly lean it was infact running... but good luck and I cant wait to see the dyno then.... I really cant wait to see your turbo dyno....
  21. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    I wish I didnt have an auto but I have to live with that but the lean problem is so bad that he told me to take it home and park it til I get it fixed or burn up engine
  22. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    good idea... everyone (except superpilun) has had issues with using an FMU - piggy w/ bigger injects ownz :)
  23. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    yeah we will se how this goes... hey vortex you have a 98 - 99 dont you??? how do you handle map snesor?? missing links?? and emanage pressure unit for fuel??
  24. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    what would a 94 1.8L auto push for WHP at about 7PSI
  25. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    id love to give you an answer but I havent seen or know too much about 93 - 97 yr cars... ask me in a few months as Ima be helping a member of EMS try to get a system set up on his car... all custom of course
  26. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    ok wow your really lean then.... but i doubt that would add a lot of power as engines typically make more power running lean!!

Now you didnt say you had an auto... HUGE difference... although your compression is down the displacement increase if you have 1.93l overbore compensates a little bit for that...

also autos have 20 - 25% drivetrain loss

SO

125 - 20% = 100 hp
    125 - 25% = 94 hp

So being at 96 who your not too far from stock at all in terms of power... didnt notice it was auto sorry
  27. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    thanks man
  28. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    yeah np... but of course as we go through the install and fuk up 100 times well take pics this time.... I didnt take pics of mine because it was sooooooooooooooo spaced out... were hopefully gonna do his quick! and hopefully his motor wont blow up and we will know more about the 97s... but im probably just oging to tell him to go with new injectors and a piggy back vs bumping up fuel pressure since his is a return system... depends if he wants to cheap it out or not in the end!
  29. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    3 bar replacement MAP - fuck all those gadgets. of course - you should be able to do something like the missing link ... *shrug* i believe in doing it the right way... lol don't fool your electronics, teach them to understand.

I actually do tune off the greddy sensor though - all my injector and ignition modifications are done using the map with the absolute pressure (from the greddy pressure sensor) as my base.
  30. Offline

LoSx New Member

Message Count:
    that is slick! wouldnt have thought of that.. although itas hard to find perfect ones of course... but that can be adjusted for with the emanage if its not too much

If you didnt do any compensation how is your car running off boost?? since it would think the pressure is halfed?