1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Which Repair Manual?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by kghose, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Offline

kghose New Member

Message Count:
    Which Repair Manual?

I'm looking to buy one for my 2002 Corolla. Toyota's original shop manual costs $130 or so. The Haynes one costs $15, but is for a large number of models (including geo prism) and hasn't gotten the best reviews.

Any others out there? Has any one used the Haynes? Would they recommend it? (I'm interested in learnin about periodic maintenance and inspection).

Thanks!
    -kaushik
  2. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If you are just using it for basic stuff, the Haynes is all you need. (The Haynes covers the 93-02 Corolla's, I had it for my '94). It covers how to replace pretty much everything suspension wise, engine accessories, how to remove all interior trim, all the maintenance, etc... its more than most people need.
  3. Offline

kghose New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks man! - kaushik
  4. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yea the Haynes manual is better for the 93-97 than the 98-02. They seem to have just added some info on top of the the origional 93-97 book and made understanding what they're trying to tell you more confusing because they're trying to cover 10 model yrs, w/ 4 revisions [93-95, 96-97(OBD II introduced), 98-99, 00-02(VVT-I introduced)] all in the same book. Its a decent manual but somewhat cluddered.. The 93-97 owners has the option to buy the book which stops at 1997 so they dont get bothered by the 98-02 stuff, but the 98-02 owners have no other options.

Look on Amazon, you could probably get the thing for under 10 bucks. As for me I've been refering to the Haynes for about 4yrs and looking into buying the Toyota BGB for a while.
  5. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    I've got the Haynes for the '00-'02 Tundra. If anything is different, you can usually notice as you follow the steps. I bought mine to learn how to pull the gastank down, rather than pay the dealership $400 to do it for me.

Haynes is a good manual for the price.
  6. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
  7. Offline

sumac0401 New Member

Message Count:
    I got the geuine Toyota Corolla service manual for my 2002 Corolla. Pretty detailed...but you have to get use to understanding how to read the step by step instructions. For example like changing the thermostat, it will tell you to remove the radiator but doesn't show you the pics. You have to turn to the removing radiator section first to get the step by step.

Bought it on eBay for around $70. You can search there and see if you can find it. Good luck.
  8. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    you can download it from techinfo.toyota.com for $15. just takes a few hours to save all the pdf's
  9. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    nice... a few hours at what dl speed?
  10. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    cable. you have to download each chapter-topic in seperate pdf files. if you could download the whole thing in 1 file it would only take 10 minutes
  11. Offline

sumac0401 New Member

Message Count:
    Bought my 2002 OEM Toyota Corolla repair manual off eBay for $70.
  12. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    yah i got the one from toyota it was like 15 bucks for 2 days access took forever to get all the files cuz each page was a separate pdf but i got almost everything i wanted and some stuff for my moms siennna and xb the other thing i like from toyota tech was all the tsb's for any toyota just to see what real problems there were for my cars