1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Wheel stud

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by t0rres16, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Offline

t0rres16 Member

Message Count:
    Wheel stud

So i taking off my wheel when one of the wheel studs broke off. i called the local toyota dealership and they said this is gonna cost me $140!!!!!!!!!
  2. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:

Thats cause you problaby have to buy the hub cause if it is the front ones the bearing is pressed on in pieces they dont come whole and closed.....
  3. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    <a href="http://vvti.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14320" target="_blank">http://vvti.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14320</a><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Hmm... So that's 3 people in this site alone that has broken their wheel studs...
  4. Offline

t0rres16 Member

Message Count:
    yea its the front right one
  5. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The front ones are usually harder to change since to do it properly you need to disassemble the entire hub. Most wheel shops would be able to do it, a privately owned place used to do it for me for $25 until I started doing it myself. Then I started buying better lug nuts and torque-spec'ing my wheel lugs and the studs never broke off again
  6. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    make that 4, i broke 3 on my 86 in the rear....drifting with loose wheels wasnt the smartest :/ lol, but yea the whole hub needs to come off. and the stealership is always going to cost more money, check a local garage and they can probably do it for you for alotttt cheaper
  7. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:
    lucky for me i was working at a 76 gas station and the mechanic hooked me up to replace my stud $50.
  8. Offline

rolla4me New Member

Message Count:
    talking about studs.. If you guys want to use longer studs, use the one off a landcruiser (back studs). They are about half inch longer than the corolla. And you'll never have a problem using a spacers anymore..

right DOT.?
  9. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    heh. i used to break studs all the time on the corolla. stop cross-threading!
  10. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Yup! And it's just $2.something in your nearest auto supply store.
  11. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:
    2 studs broke on my car, one on each side of the rear wheels. I bought 6 studs from an auto store just in case, and got one installed at a local mechanic for $30. At the auto store the wanted $149. I watched the mechanic install the first one and I did the other one my self. Its a lot simpler than i thought.

I have also completely taken out my front hub, if u can take the rotor off, that u can take the old stud out and put a new one in.

ONLYYYYY, if u don't find another stud let me know, i bought the entire inventory (SIX) from Chicago it seems = ).
  12. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    wait...you paid to get studs replaced in a drum brake?? those are the easiest ones...you bang the drum (go figure) and then hit the studs out and then tighten the new ones in with open-ended lugs. remember that, it will save you money
  13. Offline

t0rres16 Member

Message Count:
    i took it to the dealership yesterday and they charged me $110. i was happy because they originally told me on the phone that it was going to cost $140
  14. Offline

MattAveli Modifier

Message Count:
    ouch man, like laura said only a few dollars at a local store, i've broke 3 in the front, just need a hammer and punch to put a new one in.